The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Nobody really cares whether you get an A or a B in English GCSE.
Reply 2
Probably wouldn't make a difference to employers really, but universities might be more concerned, depending on where you wanted to go.
ArtGoblin
Probably wouldn't make a difference to employers really, but universities might be more concerned, depending on where you wanted to go.

Well that was my main concern. I think I could get an A in Literature with a bit more effort, but Language is what I find difficult. :frown:
addylad
Well that was my main concern. I think I could get an A in Literature with a bit more effort, but Language is what I find difficult. :frown:

B's are aboslutely fine. honestly dont worry about it, just try your hardest and thats all you can do :smile:
addylad
Hi,

Well I've got my predicted grades, and English is A/B in both Language and Literature. I was wondering whether it would make a difference to my career options if I get Bs in these two (other subjects are all predicted As/A*s). I'm very strong at Science/IT/Maths and would like to do something related to this in the future, so would it matter?

Thanks a lot!

probs not. And A/B doesn't matter. Oxbridge will want a general A/A* profile. Science courses will prob want a C, sometimes B in english language. As long as you get that, it should not matter.

In my GCSEs, I was predicted a B in ICT, I worked my ass off, to get an A. Personally I think it's nicer to say "I got all As and A*s" than "I got got all As and A*s and a B in ICT", I hated the subject, but i'm glad i did it, cos now i can say that.

So yeh, it only matters, if it matters to you if you get me? good luck.
hazzypants
probs not. And A/B doesn't matter. Oxbridge will want a general A/A* profile. Science courses will prob want a C, sometimes B in english language. As long as you get that, it should not matter.

In my GCSEs, I was predicted a B in ICT, I worked my ass off, to get an A. Personally I think it's nicer to say "I got all As and A*s" than "I got got all As and A*s and a B in ICT", I hated the subject, but i'm glad i did it, cos now i can say that.

I suppose it's better to bring the Bs up to As, and then to try to get A*s if I have time at the end of the year. Thanks. :smile:
Reply 7
addylad

Just drop Language at A2. Then anyone other than Oxbridge won't care.
ArtGoblin
Just drop Language at A2. Then anyone other than Oxbridge won't care.

It's GCSE, so I'd assume it wouldn't be so bad. Thanks :smile:
Reply 9
I'll be glad with two B's..Ummmm it depends on the entry requirements of the college and universities you go to, also what course do u want to do?
addylad
It's GCSE, so I'd assume it wouldn't be so bad. Thanks :smile:

Ooooh! Then it won't matter at all!
Reply 11
hazzypants

I disagree, many decent place asks a B in GCSE English Language; so to be safe get at least a B. If you got other As and A* one/two Bs really would not make any difference to your application, even if you do apply to top universities. Moreover, AS/A2 levels are far more important.
Reply 12
As far as I know, a grade A/A* in english or eng lit doesn't make any difference at GCSE unless you meet some extremely picky employers/unis.

It doesn't matter what you get predicted at all! It doesn't you'll get all A*s if you get predicted all A*s.

And so, forget abotu getting Bs, everyone' capable fo getting As in them at GCSE, you can do it! :smile:

I'm a good example.. :biggrin:
I was predicted the same A/B for Eng and Eng lit and what's more, i know my level was about B as well.
However, I just concentrated on doing past papers, working hard to improve and I got an A* in Eng lit and A(2 marks off an A*!) on English. :smile:
What's more, I only started to do these preps 2 months before my exams!
And if I can do it, there are no reasons why you can't. So believe in yourself!
Nimbus
As far as I know, a grade A/A* in english or eng lit doesn't make any difference at GCSE unless you meet some extremely picky employers/unis.

It doesn't matter what you get predicted at all! It doesn't you'll get all A*s if you get predicted all A*s.

And so, forget abotu getting Bs, everyone' capable fo getting As in them at GCSE, you can do it! :smile:

I'm a good example.. :biggrin:
I was predicted the same A/B for Eng and Eng lit and what's more, i know my level was about B as well.
However, I just concentrated on doing past papers, working hard to improve and I got an A* in Eng lit and A(2 marks off an A*!) on English. :smile:

Thanks a lot, I'll see how I do in my mock (won't have time for much revision) and go from there. I would be delighted with an A in English Language. :biggrin:
Reply 14
wow that's like me
A Lit and B Lang
What exam board do you do?
Rimmiie
wow that's like me
A Lit and B Lang
What exam board do you do?

I do AQA and find Literature so much more interesting. I enjoy analysing themes much more than all of that argue explain advise stuff.

Nimbus

I just concentrated on doing past papers, working hard to improve and I got an A* in Eng lit and A(2 marks off an A*!) on English.

How many past papers did you do? I would like to equal your success! :biggrin:

Latest