The Student Room Group

2 facilitating subjects applying to RG/top unis

Hi! I hope to apply to study Law, and i’m currently in Year 12 studying History/Mathematics/Fine Art. I was wondering if i’m at a disadvantage only doing 2 “facilitating” subjects (im unsure if this is still a valid term as i saw somewhere this was scrapped in 2019) as oppose to 3. I know that art is my strongest subject as i achieved 95% at GCSE and it’s also my favourite subject - so i’m confident i could achieve at least an A in the subject. Thanks!
The concept of facilitating subjects has been retired exactly due to misconceptions such as these. Facilitating subjects are not "better" than other subjects, the point of facilitating subjects was just they serve as prerequisites for one or more degree programmes - so it was recommended students take at least two to ensure they have options in what degree programmes they may eventually apply to.

In any case your subject combination is fine for law.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
The concept of facilitating subjects has been retired exactly due to misconceptions such as these. Facilitating subjects are not "better" than other subjects, the point of facilitating subjects was just they serve as prerequisites for one or more degree programmes - so it was recommended students take at least two to ensure they have options in what degree programmes they may eventually apply to.

In any case your subject combination is fine for law.

thank you!! yea i definitely thought that, but i see quite a few different opinions on whether or not unis favour one subject over the other so i wanted to make sure i wasn’t making a mistake - thank you for ur input :biggrin:
Original post by yeonjung
thank you!! yea i definitely thought that, but i see quite a few different opinions on whether or not unis favour one subject over the other so i wanted to make sure i wasn’t making a mistake - thank you for ur input :biggrin:

A couple of unis have "preferred subject lists" (LSE and UCL in general, Birmingham for law) however these include subjects as "preferred" that were formerly considered facilitating subjects and subjects that were not formerly considered facilitating subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest