The Student Room Group

Can I still apply for universities if I am slightly below the requirements?

I took a gap year and have my actual grades, BBBB. Some of the courses I am looking at are asking for ABB, given that these aren't predicted grades and I wouldn't be getting a "conditional" offer, is it still worth trying to apply there? I did my A Levels in June 2023, looking to apply in Jan 2024.
Reply 1
Some universities are stricter than others. It might be worth emailing admissions departments directly and asking them. It also will likely depend on what subject you want to study for example more oversubscribed courses are less likely to accept results below the standard offer.
Hi @finckywinky,

Each university and course differs with their entry requirements as some may be more strict while the others aren't.

If the course is available for clearing, it means they have available spaces and could consider your application even if it doesn't match the requirements.

However, it would be best if you called the admissions team of the universities you're interested in and ask them if you're eligible.

I hope I managed to help!

Best of luck,
Melanie
LSBU Rep
Original post by finckywinky
I took a gap year and have my actual grades, BBBB. Some of the courses I am looking at are asking for ABB, given that these aren't predicted grades and I wouldn't be getting a "conditional" offer, is it still worth trying to apply there? I did my A Levels in June 2023, looking to apply in Jan 2024.

As above, check with individual universities, though they might be encouraging but non-commital.

You mention not applying until January. Another approach would be to apply to 2-3 unis in a few weeks and see what response you get. That might inform your decisions about whether you need to be conservative or aspirational in your other choices.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending