The Student Room Group

Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants

FYI: If you have all 4 decisions (including waitlists and rejections :frown:) for 2022, please head over here to let us know what's happened for you: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7187003

Welcome to the thread that no one wants to be in. I am sorry to see that you have missed your grades / been rejected and have to reapply.

However, now is not the time to feel sorry for yourself. Dust yourself off because you all have a schedule to stick to.

UCAT 2022 schedule
24 May 2022
Account registration opens
Bursary and Access Arrangement applications open
20 June 2022
Booking opens
11 July 2022
Testing starts
20 September 2022
Access Arrangement application deadline
22 September 2022
Booking deadline
29 September 2022
Last test day
30 September 2022
Bursary Scheme application deadline
15 October 2022
UCAS deadline
Early November
Results delivered to universities

Winter-Spring 2022/23 Medical school interviews / offers

May / June 2023 Summer A-Level exams

August 2023 A-Level results day

Other TSR threads:
UCAT 2022 for 2023 entry thread: (not made yet)
BMAT 2022 for 2023 entry thread: (not made yet)
General undergrad 2023 entry thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6902612
"Which medical school should I apply to" megathread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6679038

Useful links:
UCAT 2022 UCAT 2022 Test Cycle | UCAT Consortium
BMAT 2022 https://www.admissionstesting.org/for-test-takers/bmat/

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
Here for it. Holding out for interviews over the next few months, but if it comes to it, will resit my ucat resulting in a higher score. I have sat it twice now. The first time I wasn’t prepared it was somewhat last minute, second time round improved a lot. So third time round, should improve again.

I need to re-start planning work experience dont I?
I have applied for medicine this year, but unfortunately will not be able to go even if I do get offers due to a recent family circumstance. I have emailed my choices and unfortunately only one of them will allow me to defer if I do get an offer. So I'm holding out for that choice, but there's a good chance I will have to reapply in the next cycle.

I'm not in it for the prestige just to get that out of the way. My primary reason is it's the closest medical school to me, and I really need to be close to home for personal reasons. The preclinical/clinical divide and all the essays and other things people complain about, are not dealbreakers for me.

Problem is, I know how competitive Oxford is for medicine, and how much they value GCSEs, I got 9888777777 in mine, but I've previously been advised that you should only apply to Oxford if you have near all 8s and 9s. Hence why I didn't apply this year.

I'm really proud of my GCSEs, I'm just worried they will not be enough for this course? Is it hopeless?
oh wow thanks for that, disappointing for good to know so I don't waste a choice.

London and Southampton it is then!
Reply 5
Original post by Wakbar88
Here for it. Holding out for interviews over the next few months, but if it comes to it, will resit my ucat resulting in a higher score. I have sat it twice now. The first time I wasn’t prepared it was somewhat last minute, second time round improved a lot. So third time round, should improve again.

I need to re-start planning work experience dont I?

same here! sat it three :s-smilie: times! first time it was unspeakable, and did no prep so I didn't even apply, second time (2020) was average, third time I did ok but not ok enough, hopefully next time it is!

I should imagine you get to use the same work experience?:eek:
Been rejected by one of my choices and expecting further rejections but strangely i feel more motivated than ever to get amazing grades next year and smash the UCAT. I got above average in UCAT but that just didn't cut it this year so next year i want to really stand out. I also would love to apply to Cambridge but i only got 98887777766 at GCSE, do they care much about GCSE's? Also when do you suggest i start planning out my gap year? Thanks!
Reply 7
Original post by future_11
Been rejected by one of my choices and expecting further rejections but strangely i feel more motivated than ever to get amazing grades next year and smash the UCAT. I got above average in UCAT but that just didn't cut it this year so next year i want to really stand out. I also would love to apply to Cambridge but i only got 98887777766 at GCSE, do they care much about GCSE's? Also when do you suggest i start planning out my gap year? Thanks!

This definitely happened to me, I lost all motivation for a week but then came back better. I got a much better UCAT, and went up a few grades in my mocks.

You can have a vague outline of a gap year but you don’t need to apply for anything just yet. I am a health care assistant through NHSP, I would recommend emailing them just to be put on their email list for the future!
Got rejected from one of my uni and I feel like I am going to get rejected by all others due to my low UCAT. I will take a gap year if that happens, any suggestions how can I improve my application during my gap year.
Reply 9
Original post by batoolfatymah
Got rejected from one of my uni and I feel like I am going to get rejected by all others due to my low UCAT. I will take a gap year if that happens, any suggestions how can I improve my application during my gap year.

I'm not sure if you did any of these things, but here are some things I've done in my first gap year and this upcoming second (most probably!):
-volunteer with any NHS/hospice; - work as HCA or anything in a clinical environment, where you would deal with patients (nursing home/hospital/vaccination centre); try any clinical settings where you could shadow a dr (I did some shadowing in a hospice and it really teaches you a lot!); try any kind of volunteering even where you teach children abt how to apply a plaster or even in a school, as you could reflect on this for your PS.

I think that's the standard advice anyway but I just wrote it down here again, perhaps it helps :smile:
So currently I only have Leicester to hear back from for this year's cycle. I have 57.5 points and last years cut off was 57, so I am doubting they will offer me an interview. I am just going to try to do my best to nail my A-Levels so I only have to focus on the UCAT and interviews next year.
That's super helpful thank you very much!!
If you get an offer and take a gap year, do you do the DBS & occupational health check the year you get the offer or the year you start your degree? I.e would I do it this year or next year?
Reply 13
Original post by cryokinetic
If you get an offer and take a gap year, do you do the DBS & occupational health check the year you get the offer or the year you start your degree? I.e would I do it this year or next year?

You do it shortly before you start the course, ie next year, in your scenario. DBS checks are literally out of date the moment they are sent, so one from the year before would not usually be acceptable.
i got grade 5 in gcse for english language i resat the exam and i was given the same grade over and over and i feel like i did so well in my exams but i think they dont really care. what shoud i do
Original post by gcseismad
i got grade 5 in gcse for english language i resat the exam and i was given the same grade over and over and i feel like i did so well in my exams but i think they dont really care. what shoud i do

the thing is they predicted for the last one which they asked me to do 2 papers and then they said they will use for prediciting the grades and i feel like i did well in that. i try speaking to teachers but they avoid me. idk what to do
k. i feel so dissapointed . i wish i didnt exist
Thanks mate that gave me some motivation. i hope god blesses you and your loved ones
Original post by gcseismad

You could try email the universities regarding whether they would accept IELTS as an alternative to your GCSE English language grade, possibly. But you would need to achieve the required scores for IELTS however.
Original post by KA_P
You could try email the universities regarding whether they would accept IELTS as an alternative to your GCSE English language grade, possibly. But you would need to achieve the required scores for IELTS however.

what is the IELTS? how do i find out what my one is?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending