The Student Room Group

Will my GCSE grades be good enough for medecine?

Hi, I am currently studying biology chemistry psychology and french A levels. I want to study medecone at uni but I am concerned about my gcse grades, I got grades 8 for sciences and 7, 8 in englishs and a grade 5 in maths, most of the unis ask for a minimum of grades 6 so I am not sure if I will get a place at any unis even if i get AAAA for my a levels, what can I do? should I resit my maths GCSE?
Reply 1
Hi, there are some unis that will accept you with a 5 but you are definitely limiting your options. I would say you should resit your maths but that will be an intense workload with 4 A-Levels already so it depends how set on medicine you are and whether you are willing to focus on getting that 6. You should consider whether you could realistically get a 6- all depends really. So yes, you can get into medicine but you are limiting your options significantly in a very tough playing field.
Original post by ddffhg56
Hi, I am currently studying biology chemistry psychology and french A levels. I want to study medecone at uni but I am concerned about my gcse grades, I got grades 8 for sciences and 7, 8 in englishs and a grade 5 in maths, most of the unis ask for a minimum of grades 6 so I am not sure if I will get a place at any unis even if i get AAAA for my a levels, what can I do? should I resit my maths GCSE?

There's some guidance on GCSE requirements for med in the following thread, but yes, you will be limiting your options if you don't retake.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7312527

Quick Reply

Latest