The Student Room Group

will dropping out of uni affect my career prospects??

last summer i got awful grades and was rejected by my firm choice for law and it was honestly one of the worst days of my life. my teachers and parents kind of pushed for me to go to my insurance choice instead of doing clearing because i missed out on the best clearing offers due to things that weren’t really in my control. it’s now been three months and i am the unhappiest i’ve ever been at this university and i would like to either transfer or drop out and reapply to a russel group. my question is will this be frowned upon by universities that i reapply to and will future employers be able to see this? will i receive less student finance for the next year and will i have to pay this years back??
Hi @4everrwinterr

Firstly, I am sorry to hear you are not having a good experience at your current university.

If you drop out and apply elsewhere future employers will not be able to see this, but they might ask you what you did in those years. It is nothing to be ashamed of, if anything it is a good indicator that you take your education seriously and made that tough decision to drop out and find something better.

When it comes to your funding I would definitely talk to SFE about what your options are. When I dropped out of my first university I was able to fill in a form which meant I did not have to pay for that year. But the conditions will be different at every university. The condition for me was that if I filled that form in to say I was dropping out the first week back after Christmas then I was exempt from having to pay. So when I joined my current university I still had my full 4 years of funding.

I hope this helps and I wish you all the best!

Anastasia,
BCU Student Reps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending