The Student Room Group

Getting onto a Law Masters course at Uni of Manchester

Hi,

I am currently in the final year of my Law degree, at a non Russell Group university.

I really want to apply to study a Masters in Health Care Ethics and Law (LLM) at the Uni of Manchester.

I was wondering how difficult it is to get onto a Master's level course at Manchester Uni? Would the fact I haven't attended a Russell group uni for my undergrad have an effect on my application?

Any general advice on the application experience etc would be a great help!

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Emz0605
Hi,

I am currently in the final year of my Law degree, at a non Russell Group university.

I really want to apply to study a Masters in Health Care Ethics and Law (LLM) at the Uni of Manchester.

I was wondering how difficult it is to get onto a Master's level course at Manchester Uni? Would the fact I haven't attended a Russell group uni for my undergrad have an effect on my application?

It is not particularly difficult to get onto LLM courses - they are less competitive than at undergraduate level and it won't matter that you went to a non RG uni as long as you achieve a 2:1 or higher.
Reply 2
Original post by harrysbar
It is not particularly difficult to get onto LLM courses - they are less competitive than at undergraduate level and it won't matter that you went to a non RG uni as long as you achieve a 2:1 or higher.

Okay thank you, that's really helpful :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Emz0605
Hi,
Currently in this position right now - how did it go?
Original post by Emz0605
Hi,

Hi, I am looking at the University of Manchester (UoM) too but for a different LLM course (LLM in Intellectual Property Law). I too go to a non-Russell Group university but the university I go to is one of the worst ranked universities in the UK (University of Northampton). I'm also wondering how difficult it is, I am preidcted a 2:1 but on the UoM website for my specific postgraduate course it says "when assessing your academic record, we consider the grades you have achieved and the standing of the institution where you studied your qualification". This I think could pose a problem, but I think that if you go to a good non-Russell Group university, you should be fine.
(edited 1 week ago)
Original post by harrysbar

Then again, on the University of Manchester website, under the specific LLM course I want to study (LLM in Intellectual Property), it says "when assessing your academic record, we consider the grades you have achieved and the standing of the institution where you studied your qualification". I go to a very low ranking univeristy but I am predicted a 2:1, could this potentially hinder me from gaining a place?
(edited 1 week ago)
Original post by sadgiirl
Then again, on the University of Manchester website, under the specific LLM course I want to study (LLM in Intellectual Property), it says "when assessing your academic record, we consider the grades you have achieved and the standing of the institution where you studied your qualification". I go to a very low ranking univeristy but I am predicted a 2:1, could this potentially hinder me from gaining a place?

This is my issue too - i really do not know. I've seen people get into better ranked unis than Manchester for masters, from a non-Russell background. Yet, Manchester obviously specifies this so i imagine it is more difficult.
Original post by oli70479
This is my issue too - i really do not know. I've seen people get into better ranked unis than Manchester for masters, from a non-Russell background. Yet, Manchester obviously specifies this so i imagine it is more difficult.

Yes, I fear that too. I mean it is one of the best in the UK. I hope they are not too harsh.
Reply 8
Original post by Emz0605
Hi,

What do you intend to do with the Masters

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending