The Student Room Group

Sutton trust US program

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ryzenoctavian27
Well, it's almost time. I did my video interview early today in glittering 4k30fps and I'm about to send the application in, but I'm still not so sure about how much "detail" is needed for the extracurriculars... I've pasted my answers to my 9 extracurriculars into Word and it's come up to around 2,800 words, or about 300 on average (some had about 500, others 200). Is that too much?

Absolutely fumbled mine. Everything exept the video and extracurricular was good only wrote like a sentence for each one and my vid was hot garbage but hey lets see
So, I thought the application process had ended, job done....
Oh how I was so wrong.
Turns out for my reference I got the email address completely wrong and for 3 months I had no reference and I thought they just wanted to keep my application under wraps until I asked them and had corrected their email address days before the reference deadline (literally tomorrow at midnight)
Skip to today when they give me a lovely set of 38 very long personal questions to do as part of the reference which I need to submit in great detail, for tomorrow. Oh dear.
Reply 42
So, I thought the application process had ended, job done....
Oh how I was so wrong.
Turns out for my reference I got the email address completely wrong and for 3 months I had no reference and I thought they just wanted to keep my application under wraps until I asked them and had corrected their email address days before the reference deadline (literally tomorrow at midnight)
Skip to today when they give me a lovely set of 38 very long personal questions to do as part of the reference which I need to submit in great detail, for tomorrow. Oh dear.

You don’t do the reference tho, your teacher does?
Original post by Sf2507
You don’t do the reference tho, your teacher does?

See I thought that, but they kept insisting that I do them... for some reason. In fact they weren't my original referee, it was my chem teacher but my tutor decided to swoop in and make me change it so they were the referee instead (because apparently tutors get the priority when it comes to references) and then they gave me these questions...
Reply 44
Well, it's almost time. I did my video interview early today in glittering 4k30fps and I'm about to send the application in, but I'm still not so sure about how much "detail" is needed for the extracurriculars... I've pasted my answers to my 9 extracurriculars into Word and it's come up to around 2,800 words, or about 300 on average (some had about 500, others 200). Is that too much?

What ec’s did you put?
Original post by Sf2507
What ec’s did you put?

Dofe bronze silver and gold, volunteering (for dofe), student councillor, school eco-awareness club, fantasy wings (an aviation-based programme), the yorkshire "speak out" challenge and a year-long art programme
Dofe bronze silver and gold, volunteering (for dofe), student councillor, school eco-awareness club, fantasy wings (an aviation-based programme), the yorkshire "speak out" challenge and a year-long art programme

wow
Reply 47

Thats so impressive! Good luck

What are your GCSEs and predictions?
Original post by Anonymous #4
What are your GCSEs and predictions?

One 5, 6 and 7, 4 eights (if you count double science as two separate grades) and a Level 2 Merit in engineering (I hit on or above all my predicted grades). I don't think the 5 and 6 will make a significant impact considering I achieved those in subjects irrelevant to the career path I explicitly outlined to them, but we'll see. I'm a bit interested in the dates for the US week though, an important family event is being planned between the 19th-23rd July and on their website they gave a range between 22nd July and 4th August for the US week, which obviously is more than a weekspan (13 days) so it could be anywhere in those dates but I'm just a bit worried since this event is something I can't really miss and I can't ask to change when it happens.
(edited 2 months ago)
One 5, 6 and 7, 4 eights (if you count double science as two separate grades) and a Level 2 Merit in engineering (I hit on or above all my predicted grades). I don't think the 5 and 6 will make a significant impact considering I achieved those in subjects irrelevant to the career path I explicitly outlined to them, but we'll see. I'm a bit interested in the dates for the US week though, an important family event is being planned between the 19th-23rd July and on their website they gave a range between 22nd July and 4th August for the US week, which obviously is more than a weekspan (13 days) so it could be anywhere in those dates but I'm just a bit worried since this event is something I can't really miss and I can't ask to change when it happens.

Hmm did you mention that to them?
Original post by crispybutterfly
Hmm did you mention that to them?

I emailed them two weeks ago asking if I could get a sooner confirmation on the dates, but havent gotten a reply still. Obviously I can't dictate the days for a cohort of 100 or so people, but it would be best to know early. All of this, ofcourse, is if I get accepted.
I want to Look at how much % they’ve watched my video but my own views have completely messed it up😭 can anyone help me out on this? Is there a way to see how much each viewer has watched?
Reply 53
Original post by Anonymous #4
I want to Look at how much % they’ve watched my video but my own views have completely messed it up😭 can anyone help me out on this? Is there a way to see how much each viewer has watched?

I posted about this in another thread but here:
Yes there is, basically if you have the youtube studio app it shows you how many unique viewers I have, in my case I had 3 separate unique viewers. (You count as one unique viewers and you can even show if there was a returning viewer a.k.a you rewatching your video multiple times)

Then if you scroll to source you can find out how they found your video, mine was webportalapp.com which was where we submitted an application so I knew it was them

Lastly you can check out watch time in minutes and you can see how long each individual viewers watched and on what date by going on "Engagement" and clicking on "Average View Duration". Hope this helps!!
(edited 2 months ago)
I didn't get into the programme. Did anyone get in?
Original post by ramlaaa0010
I didn't get into the programme. Did anyone get in?
Me neither however a good friend who lives on my same road did and im very proud of him
I didn't get in either. Quite bummed because I put loads of effort into the application but oh well.
Got in 👍

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending