The Student Room Group

What makes an economics personal statement look good?

Im in y12 and wanting to study economics. Im just wondering what makes a personal statement look good for economics? What sort of things should I look to do/attend to be able to have more to talk about on my ps. Thank you.
Original post by omarkanaa
Im in y12 and wanting to study economics. Im just wondering what makes a personal statement look good for economics? What sort of things should I look to do/attend to be able to have more to talk about on my ps. Thank you.

I'm in the same position as you (Year 12, wanting to study economics) I think a very significant/vital part of your personal statement is further reading. In addition to this, attending public lectures related to your subject is also a good way to demonstrate interest (Online and in person). Entering essay competitions can be one too but these can be time consuming if you do too many. Making/joining a finance society at your sixth form as well. Work Experience isnt nessesary but if you can get some then I would highly reccemend it (Looks good on CV and I am under the impression that you want to enter finance so this will make you a more competitive applicant). Really anything related to your subject.
Reply 2
sounds good, appreciate it. I do want to find some work experience but I just am not sure where to look or what to do. Are you doing any?
Original post by JustAnotherFloop
I'm in the same position as you (Year 12, wanting to study economics) I think a very significant/vital part of your personal statement is further reading. In addition to this, attending public lectures related to your subject is also a good way to demonstrate interest (Online and in person). Entering essay competitions can be one too but these can be time consuming if you do too many. Making/joining a finance society at your sixth form as well. Work Experience isnt nessesary but if you can get some then I would highly reccemend it (Looks good on CV and I am under the impression that you want to enter finance so this will make you a more competitive applicant). Really anything related to your subject.
Original post by omarkanaa
sounds good, appreciate it. I do want to find some work experience but I just am not sure where to look or what to do. Are you doing any?

Do you come from a socially disadvantaged background? Because a majority of work experience i have seen avaliable to year 12/13 caters towards people from there. Currently on Sutton Trust's banking and finance programme so I pretty much get guaranteed work experience through out the entire thing. It's also at LSE so I can get guidance on my personal statement and have people from LSE check it. I would suggest going to Sutton Trust's Economics summer school (Not Work Experience but will look great on personal statement). I am also on the brokerage (Basically if you meet the eligibility requirements, you get access to many things like events and they have summer internships every year where they will put you in a placement at a firm related to what you want to do). I am apart of SEO London which is also a great one (similar to the brokerage, meet the eligibility requirements and you have access to a wide range of potential placements/work experience). I have a telephone interview next week and if I do well, I will be offered work experience (paid) during April - 8 days total at a bank. This isn't work experience but I am in some random Cambridge program (I thought I rejected the place but I guess not:confused:) I have other things I'm currently in the process of applying for but it's too much to list. So far, I have pretty much been successful in every single thing I have applied for (so I'm quite lucky in a sense). Keep in mind these social mobility type things are VERY competitive, the sutton trust programme I am currently in had 700 applicants for 70 places.

If you aren't from a disadvantaged background then there is RARE recruiting which is something I check through once in a while but a lot of the stuff there is for University students and up. HSBC has a work experience programme which I think is open right now where you can work there in the summer on a short term placement (this isn't background based btw). JP Morgan has a yearly work experience programme for those 14-18 (but the deadline has passed ages ago so you need to apply in year 13).

If you can't get work experience through schemes like above then the only way is to cold call/email local firms and ask if you can shadow them for a few days. Being polite and flexible is the key. Don't come off as too demanding/pushy and make sure to have a CV prepared. Most of them probably won't get back to you/offer you anything but if you keep being consistent then I am sure you will find something.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by JustAnotherFloop
Do you come from a socially disadvantaged background? Because a majority of work experience i have seen avaliable to year 12/13 caters towards people from there. Currently on Sutton Trust's banking and finance programme so I pretty much get guaranteed work experience through out the entire thing. It's also at LSE so I can get guidance on my personal statement and have people from LSE check it. I would suggest going to Sutton Trust's Economics summer school (Not Work Experience but will look great on personal statement). I am also on the brokerage (Basically if you meet the eligibility requirements, you get access to many things like events and they have summer internships every year where they will put you in a placement at a firm related to what you want to do). I am apart of SEO London which is also a great one (similar to the brokerage, meet the eligibility requirements and you have access to a wide range of potential placements/work experience). I have a telephone interview next week and if I do well, I will be offered work experience (paid) during April - 8 days total at a bank. This isn't work experience but I am in some random Cambridge program (I thought I rejected the place but I guess not:confused:) I have other things I'm currently in the process of applying for but it's too much to list. So far, I have pretty much been successful in every single thing I have applied for (so I'm quite lucky in a sense). Keep in mind these social mobility type things are VERY competitive, the sutton trust programme I am currently in had 700 applicants for 70 places.

If you aren't from a disadvantaged background then there is RARE recruiting which is something I check through once in a while but a lot of the stuff there is for University students and up. HSBC has a work experience programme which I think is open right now where you can work there in the summer on a short term placement (this isn't background based btw). JP Morgan has a yearly work experience programme for those 14-18 (but the deadline has passed ages ago so you need to apply in year 13).

If you can't get work experience through schemes like above then the only way is to cold call/email local firms and ask if you can shadow them for a few days. Being polite and flexible is the key. Don't come off as too demanding/pushy and make sure to have a CV prepared. Most of them probably won't get back to you/offer you anything but if you keep being consistent then I am sure you will find something.

Hi, I've just seen this. I found work experience in a firm in Leeds and got onto the Leading Education progamme which is tailored for those applying to oxbridge, LSE, UCL and imperial. They have a 50% acceptance rate for people applying to oxbridge which is very good obviously. The work experience took me ages to find though I had to cold call about 20 different firms. I applied for the sutton school program for economics in durham and the JP morgan work experience but didnt get accepted into either. I'm also focused now on doing some moocs and essay competitions for economics and set up a debate club in my school.

Well done however on all your placements they sound great. Im assuming you are from London which is one thing I found hard as I live in Leeds because most opportunities were inaccessible to me. Anyways, thank you for your reply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending