The Student Room Group

Volunteering

How crucial would it be to volunteer in order to get into a russell group uni? Would it be better to do more super curriculars since I am already very busy.
Original post by Katy_Parker12
How crucial would it be to volunteer in order to get into a russell group uni? Would it be better to do more super curriculars since I am already very busy.

For what course?

For the vast majority of courses, universities have no interest whatsoever in any volunteering you've done.
I've been to Russell and non-Russell Group unis and none of them gave a monkeys if I'd volunteered or not.

However, if you are applying for a course that, perhaps, asks for previous experience (maybe one of the healthcare ones?) then well targeted volunteer work might be handy to have for any Uni. As DataVenia suggests.

Some employers do like to see volunteering activities on a CV, and I've been a STEM Ambassador for about 6-7 years now myself.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 3
It does no harm to have it on your CV but it isn't vital.
Original post by Katy_Parker12

Definitely depends, if this is an in general question then I would say it won't be as relevant as skills and your qualifications.
But if the course you want has a specification for experience then it would definitely be of high importance to ensure that you then get the relevant experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending