The Student Room Group

Fine Art at the Ruskin Oxford 2024

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by heyysmile
i spoke a lot about my art process, specifically the materials and the way i apply paint. i also talked about my favourite artists/an essay i had written. what about you? x

Yours sounds great! I also wrote paragraphs about my practice details and mentioned a few artists here and there. so bad I hadn't come across the reading list until submitted. I think it'd be great to talk about extended readings or art theory that interested you in PS/interview.

the 'reading list': https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/suggested-subject-resources
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Bella Wan

Yours sounds great! I also wrote paragraphs about my practice details and mentioned a few names here or there. so bad I hadn't come across the reading list until submitted. I think it'd be great to talk about extended readings or art theory that interested you in PS/interview.

the 'reading list': https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/suggested-subject-resources

oh i had no clue they had a reading list, so that’s really helpful thanks!! let me know if you hear anything back, i’ll keep my fingers crossed for you! :smile:
Reply 22
oh i had no clue they had a reading list, so that’s really helpful thanks!! let me know if you hear anything back, i’ll keep my fingers crossed for you! :smile:

thxxxx! congrats again x
anyone else heard anything?
Reply 24
Original post by 17williamsne
anyone else heard anything?

I just saw that I got an interview invitation! Good luck to you! x
Reply 25

I just saw that I got an interview invitation! Good luck to you! x

congratulations!!!!!!!!!
Reply 26
congratulations!!!!!!!!!

Yayyyy!! Thanks x
Reply 27

Yayyyy!! Thanks x

heyyy, i hope you’re well! interview day is getting close now and I was just wondering what you’re planning on doing to prepare? i’m starting to get so nervous now! x
Reply 28
Me too >_<!

My teacher’s advice: “Know your works well”
I was going to do some readings but I don’t think I can get them done before the interview lol. Besides I don’t think that is as important as knowing your submitted pieces well and being able to talk about them!

By the way, what kinds of recent work did you submit?
Reply 29
Me too >_<!

My teacher’s advice: “Know your works well”
I was going to do some readings but I don’t think I can get them done before the interview lol. Besides I don’t think that is as important as knowing your submitted pieces well and being able to talk about them!

By the way, what kinds of recent work did you submit?

I’m the exact same with readings. I think it’ll be a waste of time and I don’t see a way that I can naturally bring it up during the interview.

I’ve submitted a range of stuff, like plaster experiments, a painting, research and a sculpture I did. They all link back to the same sort of idea, so hopefully that’ll help me talk about them better.

By the way, what day is your interview?
Reply 30
I’m the exact same with readings. I think it’ll be a waste of time and I don’t see a way that I can naturally bring it up during the interview.

I’ve submitted a range of stuff, like plaster experiments, a painting, research and a sculpture I did. They all link back to the same sort of idea, so hopefully that’ll help me talk about them better.

sounds cool! mine's on Dec 5. wbu?
Reply 31

Dec 4!
Reply 32

Hiiiii! How did your interview go?

I had 2 interviews - one with Ruskin and one with St Catz tutors. The former felt better than the latter, and I'm all wobbly and shaky right now.

Both tutors in the interview panel of St Catz seemed to have expertise in art theory/art history rather than practice, which made some of the questions they asked lean toward those areas. There were some questions that I knew I responded badly. Ahhhhhh!!!
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 33

Hiiiii! How did your interview go?

I had 2 interviews - one with Ruskin and one with St Catz tutors. The former felt better than the latter, and I'm all wobbly and shaky right now.

Both tutors in the interview panel of St Catz seemed to have expertise in art theory/art history rather than practice, which made some of the questions they asked lean toward those areas. There were some questions that I knew I responded badly. Ahhhhhh!!!

Hiii! Ahhh I honestly have no clue how it went. I only had one interview with the Ruskin tutors. I was really nervous beforehand so i’m pretty sure I just blurted out as much as i could. The tutors were all really nice and asked some very insightful questions. I think the fact that it was online made it very difficult for me. I didn’t like the fact that they had control over the slides, so it was more difficult to flick through and talk about each one. Also, there were some awkward silences, probably due to the sound delay, but it made me overthink that maybe I hadn’t said anything of value. The more I think about it, the slightly better I feel. I think the pure shock and adrenaline of it made it feel much worse, but I doubt anyone comes out feeling 100% confident.

I can’t believe they asked you art history questions! That would’ve been a shock. At the end of the day, just remember that they don’t expect you to have outstanding art history knowledge. As long as you showed your thought process and tried your best, that’s all that they can ask for!

All we can do now is keep our fingers crossed! Jan 9th is too far away!!!!!!! :frown:
Reply 34
Hiii! Ahhh I honestly have no clue how it went. I only had one interview with the Ruskin tutors. I was really nervous beforehand so i’m pretty sure I just blurted out as much as i could. The tutors were all really nice and asked some very insightful questions. I think the fact that it was online made it very difficult for me. I didn’t like the fact that they had control over the slides, so it was more difficult to flick through and talk about each one. Also, there were some awkward silences, probably due to the sound delay, but it made me overthink that maybe I hadn’t said anything of value. The more I think about it, the slightly better I feel. I think the pure shock and adrenaline of it made it feel much worse, but I doubt anyone comes out feeling 100% confident.

I can’t believe they asked you art history questions! That would’ve been a shock. At the end of the day, just remember that they don’t expect you to have outstanding art history knowledge. As long as you showed your thought process and tried your best, that’s all that they can ask for!

All we can do now is keep our fingers crossed! Jan 9th is too far away!!!!!!! :frown:

Those were not straightforward "art history" questions but implied that you should address some knowledge regarding modern art, the contemporary art scene... things like that.

Awkward silences (and ambiguous reactions) from the tutors definitely made me more anxious as well: " (after a long silence) interesting" was probably the worst it drove me nuts hahaha.

As you said, we tried our best, and that's what matters! Fingers crossed!
I’ve been trying to find others who’ve applied for fine art at the Ruskin, so I thought i’d make my own thread. What colleges has everyone applied to and how are you feeling about the application? I’m desperate to find anyone!!

how is everyone feeling about tomorrow!
Reply 36
Original post by hellooo1324

how is everyone feeling about tomorrow!

so nervous! i already know i will barely sleep tonight :frown:

how are you feeling?? x
so nervous! i already know i will barely sleep tonight :frown:

how are you feeling?? x

very nervous! got my fingers crossed for both of us ahh
Reply 38
Original post by hellooo1324