The Student Room Group

How feasible is it to self-learn A-Level Maths in 1 year?

Hi everyone,

My desire to do A-Level Maths is beginning to grow as I see the sheer amount of courses I would like to apply to at university, which require it.

The good thing is is that I currently study A-Level Statistics so there is some overlap already (lessening the workload), but I wanted to ask, can I fit in the entire A-Level Maths curriculum in one year to sit them in Summer 2024?

I have of course seen resources online for A-Level Maths i.e. Bicen Maths on YouTube, but I am unsure how far I can be taken with just this alone. If you have anymore resources it would be greatly appreciated, but would love to hear your thoughts.

Best,
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by dcb3
Hi everyone,

My desire to do A-Level Maths is beginning to grow as I see the sheer amount of courses I would like to apply to at university, which require it.

The good thing is is that I currently study A-Level Statistics so there is some overlap already (lessening the workload), but I wanted to ask, can I fit in the entire A-Level Maths curriculum in one year to sit them in Summer 2024?

I have of course seen resources online for A-Level Maths i.e. Bicen Maths on YouTube, but I am unsure how far I can be taken with just this alone. If you have anymore resources it would be greatly appreciated, but would love to hear your thoughts.

Best,

It depends on what other commitments and courses that you're doing and how much time you have.

You would need to learn the material and focus a lot of time on practice papers. I am not entirely sure you can do this through free online sources by yourself (I did it through an online course).

Assuming that you have all the time in the world and that you're only doing A Level stats, then you should be able to do A Level Maths by this summer. However, it's going to be intense.

The other thing you might want to note is that unis might consider Stats too similar to Maths if they are looking for a well rounded applicant with diverse subjects. Do check the entry requirements of the specific degree courses that you want to do.

If you want a second opinion about what degree you want to do, let me know which degrees you are looking at.

Other sources that I recommend include:
Do note, the above have their own YouTube channels with tutorials.

Quick Reply

Latest