The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Official University of York Offer Holders Thread for 2024 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Void11
Original post by University of York
I looked at colleges quite early! Accommodation will open in early 2024 so I'd suggest you have some ideas before Christmas. The accommodation allocation is first come first served, so it's good to have a list of preferences so as soon as the system opens, you can submit your choices. If you do change your mind at a later date, you can always update your options and your original application date will be honoured, so always apply asap.

I wasn't bothered about catered/self catered or ensuite/shared bathroom and I wanted to be near my department (Music) so I decided on Vanbrugh College quite early on (shortly after my offer). It really depends on what you're looking for! Do you have any colleges in mind at the moment?

Hazel 🙂

Hi, just wondering, are the 2 campuses quite far from each other? - If I decided not to live at a college on the same campus as my course building, would it matter much?

👋 Hey there! I visited the open day and found it took around 15 minutes to walk from one campus to the other, of course it'd be even faster to cycle too!
University of York
York
does anyone know which college would be closer to the Linguistics Department? @University of York :smile:
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 22
Original post by emm4nuella
does anyone know which college would be closer to the Linguistics Department? @University of York :smile:

👋 Hi, I took a look at the campus map and I think the Linguistics Department is in Zone 2 meaning Vanbrugh college would be the closest! The next closet colleges seem like Derwent and Alcuin which are both just down University Road.
Original post by zaykenyon
👋 Hi, I took a look at the campus map and I think the Linguistics Department is in Zone 2 meaning Vanbrugh college would be the closest! The next closet colleges seem like Derwent and Alcuin which are both just down University Road.

Reply 24
Is it possible to live on say East campus when your lectures and everything would be on West campus? Or is that totally unfeasible
Reply 25
I just got a contextual offer (ABB) for marketing!
Original post by University of York
I looked at colleges quite early! Accommodation will open in early 2024 so I'd suggest you have some ideas before Christmas. The accommodation allocation is first come first served, so it's good to have a list of preferences so as soon as the system opens, you can submit your choices. If you do change your mind at a later date, you can always update your options and your original application date will be honoured, so always apply asap.

I wasn't bothered about catered/self catered or ensuite/shared bathroom and I wanted to be near my department (Music) so I decided on Vanbrugh College quite early on (shortly after my offer). It really depends on what you're looking for! Do you have any colleges in mind at the moment?

Hazel 🙂

Hi ya, I've received an offer from York for BBB studying environment, ecology and economics. If I apply for accomodation and later decide to live in privately rented accomodation can I withdraw my application for accomodation and will there be a cost?
Original post by Iamjoshh

Congrats!
Original post by Void11
Hi, just wondering, are the 2 campuses quite far from each other? - If I decided not to live at a college on the same campus as my course building, would it matter much?

BTW I received an offer to study Psychology MSci, I did Law, Biology and Chemistry and am retaking chem next summer

Congratulations on your offer 🙂 The two campuses are relatively close and you can walk between them, I say that as someone who doesn't like much walking too! In the past, I've used Google maps to plan journeys between buildings and it's fairly accurate so I'd recommend that if you want to test routes. There's also a very regular bus service between the two campuses and as long as you stay on campus it's free.

Congratulations! 🙂
Original post by Jieay20
Is it possible to live on say East campus when your lectures and everything would be on West campus? Or is that totally unfeasible

It's absolutely possible. I've walked between the two campuses a couple of times and I'm not a keen walker. There's a free bus service between the two campuses (free as long as you stay on campus) too. In the past, I've used Google maps to plan my routes between buildings and it's fairly accurate so I'd recommend that if you'd like to test routes.

Well done!! When did you send your application off? I just applied haha, already feeling nervous
Original post by katebeffff
Well done!! When did you send your application off? I just applied haha, already feeling nervous

I got an offer (PPE) one day after sending my application in! It probably depends on the department and volume of applications etc.
Reply 33
Original post by katebeffff

Mine was quite quick, I only sent it off a day or 2 ago
Original post by emm4nuella
Hello everyone, welcome to the official discussion thread for students who have gotten a offer from @University of York for 2024 entry! You can chat with other offer holders, and see if you can find someone who could be in your class next year <3! also, let us know what A Levels you are taking and the subject you want to study!! :smile:

hi guys, anyone here got an offer for biomedical science?
In Terms of living on campus east, does one still feel as included to those who live in campus west just given the fact that campus west is the bigger of the two and the fact campus east is slightly further out?
Original post by Futureecologist
Hi ya, I've received an offer from York for BBB studying environment, ecology and economics. If I apply for accomodation and later decide to live in privately rented accomodation can I withdraw my application for accomodation and will there be a cost?

Hi,

Congrats on your offer! From A Level Results Day, accommodation room offers are sent out to all new students who applied for accommodation within our guarantee deadline. You then need to accept your offer and then make a deposit (I think this is £200). So, you can reject your room offer before making the deposit and there won't be a cost!

Hazel 🙂
Original post by TomPhillips12
In Terms of living on campus east, does one still feel as included to those who live in campus west just given the fact that campus west is the bigger of the two and the fact campus east is slightly further out?

Hi! Campus East does have its own student community with student cafes/bars and shops so there is a nice atmosphere there. Campus West does have more departments based there, but both campuses have lots of student accommodation, so it's not completely isolated and there will be lots of students based on both campuses. It's a short walk/cycle/shuttle bus between campuses so it's easy to get around 🙂

🎉 congratulations
I just my application in for the same course as you. How long did you get a response and what are your predicted grades
Reply 39
Original post by Jieay20

Some people prefer to live on the other campus to have a divide between there study and where they chill out at home, whereas others prefer to be able to roll out of bed and have their classes be on the same side of campus without worrying about getting there on time, so it completely depends on your preferences. There are buses between each campus and it's only a 15 minute walk, so it is completely doable and a popular choice. 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest