The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread Mark 5

Read this before posting:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=926994&d=1594323463 Medicine 2023 Entry requirements

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=927126&d=1594334950 GCSEs for Medicine 2021 Entry requirements (2023 won't have changed very much)

Shameless ripped from https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2112295 (hence may be out of date - apologies in advance)

The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread Mark 5

Here is the fifth part of "The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst" Megathreads, following on from this thread. This thread is for applicants looking for advice on which medical schools will be more suitable for them to apply to based on their applicant profiles. All future threads on this topic will be merged into this one. Please read the FAQ before posting.

Academic Requirements

Medical School A Level Requirements - Summary of A level requirements for each medical school, including required subjects and typical offers.

Medical School GCSE Requirements - Summary of the minimum GCSE requirements for each medical school.

Medical School Requirements for Scottish Students - Summary of each medical schools requirements for Scottish students.

Medical School IB Requirements - Summary of IB requirements for each medical school, correct for 2011 entry.

UKCAT - All about the UKCAT. Who needs it? What does it test? Practice questions.

BMAT - All about the BMAT. Who needs it? What does it test? Practice questions.

GAMSAT - All about the GAMSAT. Who needs it? What does it test?

Applying to Medical School Using Your Strengths - A guide on how to apply 'smart', with admissions policies for all forms of entry into medical school.

Useful Articles

Access to Medicine - A summary of the degree courses that allow entry into medicine without standard A Levels.

Medical School Foundation and Widening Access - A summary of the Foundation and Widening Access programmes offered by UK Medical Schools.

Medical School Resit Policies - A summary of the policies of each medical school when it comes to resit students.

Medical School Competition Ratios - Comparisons of how many applications each medical school have compared to their offers given.

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Second post :yay:
Reply 3
Here for the fun!
First page gate crashing :colone:
Reply 5
Hello gang! :grouphugs:
Posting to follow:biggrin:
No roman numerals for this thread!
Sorry for the rant in advance!!
A couple of years ago I was a relatively happy person mostly a A star student etc etc. Life started going on a miserable downfall ever since at the age of 14 I found out I was planned to have an arranged marriage and stay within my extremely strict Tamil/Indian culture overall. I started to nervously express my own opinions and this is when the domestic abuse started. They started to treat me like trash and emotionally disconnect from me and just not care about me in general and home was a horrible environment for me.

At school i struggled with friends and arguments and so since yr 11 I haven't had a proper friendship group or any support generally. Then at the age of 16 I met my Boyfriend who is the same religion as me but he's white and we have been dating in secret for over 2 years and it's a really healthy loving relationship but probably a year in my mother went through my phone and found out about him making my home life more abusive. Throughout the whole of sixth form I was severely bullied and still had no friends and by the time I was doing my A-levels I had severe anxiety and depression and although I tried seeking help it's just so hard with parents such as mine. I started to get Es right before my actual A levels and if I'm honest at time of writing I have done my exams but almost certainly know that i haven't done nearly as well as I want to.

As you might guess I am extremely terrified for results day especially because of my family, I find it difficult to even sleep at all. I actually kind of want to be a doctor as well but I wasn't allowed to apply due to my terrible mental health. But I know inevitable i wanna become a paedrition and to move in with my long term boyfriend. This is where I need advice IF i get the grades then I can either go to York to do Biomedical Sciences then go grad entry medicine or I can take a gap year and resit and reapply for medicine as people on TSR have advised me so it is much much likely i actually get in. The only issue I feel people don't understand is that if I don't go to York I will not see my Boyfriend for at least 4 years as my parents track me unless we go to the same university ofc ( He is also going to York) AND i will be stuck in my abusive house for another year and I don't know if i can even bear that.

However I am incredibly ashamed my bad Alevels are going to follow me around for the rest of my life and if people are right if i just take this offer i will probably never get into medicine in the future. So I am in a tricky spot and just need advice tbh. Do I go to York and put up with my bad grades and accept a different career so I can finally overcome my depression or do I stay and risk my severe depression getting worse but get my dream job and redeem myself?
I just want to be happy lol
I did badly in my year 12 end-of-year exams and my predictions are really bad. I want to apply to medicine and I know I can get the needed grades at A levels. Should I take a Gap Year, and if so how do I apply?
Original post by kasig195
I did badly in my year 12 end-of-year exams and my predictions are really bad. I want to apply to medicine and I know I can get the needed grades at A levels. Should I take a Gap Year, and if so how do I apply?

How badly? You can take a gap year, and reapply with your school. However if you don't receive the grades at A-Levels check with each uni if they allow resits.
Have you already booked for UCAT?
Yes, a gap year does sound like a good idea in your situation. Medicine is really competitive, and to make a strong application you need high predicted grades.
Doing a gap year could also mean that you have more time to prepare for the entrance exams (like the BMAT), and also you will know in advance whether your grades are good enough. So if you don’t get the grades you are hoping for, you could then apply for biomedical sciences or some other course that interests you?

Hiya,

I don't see any harm in applying this year. As mentioned, there are lots of med schools that don't look at your predicted grades and instead prioritise looking at the other areas of your application - like UCAT, interview etc. So if you do your research, apply to unis that don't look at predicted grades and ensure that you prioritise doing well in UCAT and interviews etc then I think you defo have a shot! :banana:

I also think that there's no harm in sitting the UCAT and practicing for interviews anyway this year. Either way, it will be great practice if you do end up taking a gap year next year anyway - in my opinion I think it's much better throwing yourself at things and trying, instead of putting your hands up, thinking that you won't get any offers from the start. :redface: Often, things like UCAT and interview practice takes a long time to hone, and students often do better second time round than first time round. So if you practice for them this year, and then if you don't get any offers this year, then it'll make your life much easier next year (if you do end up taking a gap year), and you can really target your areas of weaknesses from this application cycle. :beard:

I'm sorry that you didn't get the predicted grades that you wanted to; but I personally wouldn't give up applying to medicine in year 13! And who knows, you might surprise yourself and get an offer(s)! :u: But of course, it won't happen unless you try.

Lmk if you have more questions x

Marimo
UCL Y2 Med Student
Medic Mind
Reply 14
Hi,

I am currently a pharmacy student and want to pursue medicine after my degree. I am happy to enter medicine through either the undergradute pathway or the graduate pathway (as a home student); my main issue is my A-levels. I am currently performing very well in uni but I got BBD for my A-levels (Chem, Bio, Math - in order). I don't have any GCSEs, but equivalent grades from MYP provided by IB. Upon glancing through a few universities, many of them require decent A-levels even for individuals with degrees (assuming 2:1 honors or above). I have plenty of work experience in various healthcare fields.

Does anyone have any advice for my situation and what I should/can do to better my odds?

I'd also be very grateful if someone could signpost me to a thread or page with others in a similar scenario.

My caveat to the advice given is that there are a few med schools that don't look at predicted grades, and some of them need very high GCSEs and/or UCAT.
I would also ask why your predicted grades are "really bad" (and how bad is that)? As getting AAA is paramount to a place, so if it is going to take significant work to get your grades up to scratch, you may find that an application to medicine takes too much time out of your learning, meaning you miss grades. It is a significant commitment to UCAT/BMAT/PS/interviews. If this is the case, it would probably be better to focus on A level this year and apply wiht your grades in hand, taking a gap year.
So I don’t have the best predicted grades to apply for medicine and am thinking of a post grad entry. But I have two questions. Will I be able to take a student loan after getting a degree in biomedical science or biomedical engineering. My second question is I’ve heard if you take biomedical science you are able to transfer into medicine by the second yr of the degree is this true and can this be done for biomedical engineering as I’d rather study biomedical engineering as my backup but Medicine as my primary choice.
I’m currently in yr12 but medical school application deadlines are earlier and my school want us to create a personal statement what should I do? Write a personal statement for medicine and plan to take a gap yr risking not having a place in uni or create two personal statements and apply to university for biomedical engineering and have a medicine personal statement as a plan B. Honestly it’s very scary as I’ve flopped yr12 due to bad mental health but can still get good a level results as I’ve seeked help for it but I’ve pretty much won’t get the predicted for medicine ahhhhh
Reply 18
Original post by Ermm145
I’m currently in yr12 but medical school application deadlines are earlier and my school want us to create a personal statement what should I do? Write a personal statement for medicine and plan to take a gap yr risking not having a place in uni or create two personal statements and apply to university for biomedical engineering and have a medicine personal statement as a plan B. Honestly it’s very scary as I’ve flopped yr12 due to bad mental health but can still get good a level results as I’ve seeked help for it but I’ve pretty much won’t get the predicted for medicine ahhhhh

Have you booked UCAT? If the UCAT goes well you can apply to medical schools which don't look at A level predictions. If UCAT goes badly it would ev better not to apply to university this year, but focus on getting AAA and apply in a gap year.

Medicine application is stressful and time consuming. Trying to catch up on A level work whilst applying would be a huge challenge and set you up for failure, which may damage your mental heealth further.

As Ecolier said, if you want to do medicine there is no point applying for something else
Original post by Ermm145

Consider studying medicine abroad if you are able to afford it. Trust me, this is no shortcut but there is a guarantee in getting a place abroad. I am only suggesting this as back up because i honestly dont think it is a good idea to take a course youre not interested in nor do i think it is wise to take a gap year unless you plan to take a break and want to gain some experience or to really think about what you want to do next.

A-levels are much harder than they used to be and they will continue to get harder and harder. However, try disciplining yourself and keep a diary of what you do each day. Plan for each day and set reasonable goals. Doors are still open for you so please take this summer to really evaluate things. All the best!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending