The Student Room Group

Does anyone want to be friends at university?

I am a residential student at University of Chester but have struggled to get to know anyone due to living in a studio room and arriving later. I was wondering if there is anyone out there who wants to become friends so we can go into the city on coffee dates, shopping trips/window shopping, vising the museums and going to the River Dee?
Hi there,

We’re sorry to hear that you’re struggling to meet new people. We understand that arriving a bit later can be a daunting experience, but there are lots of things you can get involved with here at UoC.

Do you know about the the FREE Umii app? The app makes it easy to find new friends who are studying a similar course or have similar interests. It sends you up to three possible friend matches a day - and then it's up to you to say hello!**
App Store*
Play Store*

We also have lots of sports - https://www1.chester.ac.uk/sport-and-active-lifestyle/athletics%E2%80%99-union/athletics-union-sports-clubs and societies - https://www.chestersu.com/societies. Joining these can be a great way to meet new people, even if you just attend a taster session!

Our student volunteering opportunities are a great way to meet people too - https://www1.chester.ac.uk/careers-and-employability/students/volunteering

The Chester Student ShoutOut channels are a good way to keep up to date with events that are going on and around campus for current students - https://www.instagram.com/uocshoutout/

If you feel you need to chat with anyone from the University please take a look at our Student Support Services - https://www1.chester.ac.uk/student-support. These services are here to help you whenever you need them and can help you make the most of your university experience.

We hope this info helps but don’t hesitate to get in touch if you need anything!

Best wishes,
Becky
Original post by Anonymous #1
I am a residential student at University of Chester but have struggled to get to know anyone due to living in a studio room and arriving later. I was wondering if there is anyone out there who wants to become friends so we can go into the city on coffee dates, shopping trips/window shopping, vising the museums and going to the River Dee?

Hi,

I'm not a student at Chester but I am a student who has struggled to make friends and it is not fun.

One tip I have is to join any groups on Facebook or any other platforms you like. For example, on Facebook, I joined groups such as 'Hiking/walking group in Birmingham', 'Truly Twenties (Birmingham), 'Gals who Graduate - Birmingham', and so on.

Essentially, it is a great way to meet people online and potentially attend events to meet people in person too. I have managed to make a really good friend whom I regularly go to the gym with now, so it does work!

I hope this is helpful and good luck with the rest of your semester!

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.

Hello!

Firstly, go you for moving into your studio, and having the courage to move in later. Just know, that there is someone for you, someone is also waiting for a friend just as you are. Join societies, be active in small group projects and if you see someone doing something you like, or wearing what you like, then offer them a compliment. You never know, you could easily form a friendship forever!

Student Ambassador/Liverpoolhopeuni (Hassa)

Hey,

I'm sorry to hear you have been struggling with this. It can definitely be difficult to make friends at university, but as it has been mentioned above, there are loads of ways you can meet new people at UoC.

Personally, I have made friends and met a lot of new people through the countless volunteering opportunities here at the university and in the city. I find them to be a good way to get involved in something I'm passionate about, something new, or to just unwind, meet new people, and have a good time!

I have also found that being a student ambassador is a great way to make friends, and as an added bonus - you get paid!

While it can be daunting, talking to people on your course or in your accommodation is also a great option, as you already have something in common. Don't be afraid to say 'hi!' to people in the halls!

Making friends can be hard and does require you to put yourself out there, so just remember to be kind to yourself. The activities you listed are all great things to do in Chester, so I'm sure someone would be delighted to join you!

Best of luck,
Isabella 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending