The Student Room Group

burnout!

how do you avoid/work around burnout?

i mean i have some tricks for temporary motivation (running/jumping about before starting work, starting a tiny bit in school so it seems to me like i've basically done half of it, standing up while working, working elsewhere, etc.) but how do i not get burnt-out?

any help would be greatly appreciated!
Hi @bibarub,

Feeling "burnt-out" is super common, and you might find it to be a recurring emotion. It's something I find myself feeling a lot too as a psychology undergraduate student. From what it sounds like, it seems like you're continuously on the go, pushing yourself to keep yourself going.

Continuous work without breaks can lead to burnout, hence leading to physical and emotional exhaustion. When you're burnt out, it's challenging to find the motivation to continue working on tasks. I think something that could prevent you from feeling burnt out more often, is instead of doing 'tricks for temporary motivation', you should consider taking frequent breaks in between. Think of these breaks almost as a refresher to keep you motivated for longer.

A short break helps maintain your focus by preventing the onset of mental fatigue, making it easier to stay motivated when you return to your work. You could take part in activities you enjoy doing during these breaks.

Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep
Reply 2
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @bibarub,

Feeling "burnt-out" is super common, and you might find it to be a recurring emotion. It's something I find myself feeling a lot too as a psychology undergraduate student. From what it sounds like, it seems like you're continuously on the go, pushing yourself to keep yourself going.

Continuous work without breaks can lead to burnout, hence leading to physical and emotional exhaustion. When you're burnt out, it's challenging to find the motivation to continue working on tasks. I think something that could prevent you from feeling burnt out more often, is instead of doing 'tricks for temporary motivation', you should consider taking frequent breaks in between. Think of these breaks almost as a refresher to keep you motivated for longer.

A short break helps maintain your focus by preventing the onset of mental fatigue, making it easier to stay motivated when you return to your work. You could take part in activities you enjoy doing during these breaks.

Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep

thanks a bunch! means the world
Original post by bibarub
thanks a bunch! means the world

Happy to help 🙂 !
Original post by bibarub
how do you avoid/work around burnout?

i mean i have some tricks for temporary motivation (running/jumping about before starting work, starting a tiny bit in school so it seems to me like i've basically done half of it, standing up while working, working elsewhere, etc.) but how do i not get burnt-out?

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi, I get burnouts quite often and I've now learnt some ways to tackle them so they aren't so severe or so that I don't get them at all.

One thing that may cause burn out a lot is not having a clear mind. It's really helpful to have a clear distinction between school-work and relaxation at home - sometimes when your mind is constantly on studying it can get overwhelming and make you very stressed thinking about it. I think that sectioning out time just for relaxation and fun really helps balance it out and ideally the best time to have your "relaxation and fun" is just after school and before revision sessions. This separates your school life and home activities and makes sure you start revision sessions with a clearer mind.

Another thing I find that helps prevent burn out is noticing the exact moment you start to lose motivation/energy. When you start to see a pattern of how long you're able to stay concentrated for before getting tired or distracted, you can set mini-breaks to reset your motivation so you continue stress-free. Usually for me, I stay focused for nearly 45 mins before I start to look for distractions, so I know that it's the time to get up and maybe walk around or have a snack just to get me back on track before I resume revision.

I'd also say that generally being on top of your studying can help you feel better, especially when there are days you don't want to or can't make yourself study. This doesn't mean immediately reviewing and doing past papers on every piece of content you learn after lessons, but if you take one or two hours on a weekday just to finish up homework or any last revision, it will help you feel less pressured during the weekends and so you can start to use weekends as your own fun time and then at some point you might start to look forward to the weekends a lot as you can recharge for the following week.

I hope I gave you some helpful tips and please remember that prioritising a peaceful mental space is super important - so don't push yourself too far if that also means you will make yourself very stressed!

Quick Reply

Latest