The Student Room Group

Teacher marking biasedly, what do i do?

Long story short: My teacher gave marks to other students for the same answer but gave me no marks. He also gave my friend full marks which the mark scheme said it was completely wrong (calculation question so there is only one answer). What do I do? This isn't the first time.

I have always got 80%+ for all my subjects for GCSEs. Last year, in year 10 mocks, I got predicted all 9s.

This time my physics teacher used a different paper that doesn't follow the AQA specification so there was some stuff I missed here and there such as the use of fuel rods which I understand. However, I came back with 61% which was completely unusual for me. I honestly felt like crying, I studied so hard for this test as well and I was incredibly confident. My teacher put up the mark scheme and I recounted my paper and I went up by an unbelievable 14+ marks. I compared my answer to my partner and I told my teacher, 'why didn't I get any mark for this', and he responded 'give it to yourself if you really want'. He completely was unbothered, I tried to change my marks at the end and told him about the change and he just laughed it off and told me he was 'busy' but answered another student's regards.

This wasn't the first time i went up by 10+ marks.. this happened so many times. Last time I gave my paper for him to regrade it, he never gave it back and always put down the topic when I brung it up. He also humiliated me infront of the class by saying 'even grade 9 students go downhill' and I once asked is this on the spec (he tried to make us memorise the birth dates of scientists - this is gcse), and he told me 'you won't go to cambridge if you don't know this'. I never said I wanted to go to cambridge??

There's much more to this but I am just so stressed out and I don't know how to start or what to say, sorry for the muddle.

This constant humiliation and how he continuously seems to mismark my paper even when there is a markscheme, it seems so unfair. I don't know what to do. Please help.
(edited 5 months ago)
You should probably take it to the head of department as a start and see what they recommend, if they are unhelpful maybe take it up with your head of year or a member of the SLT
Reply 2
Last year I got assaulted by a supply teacher, and my head of year who is also a member of SLT, said 'she knows whats she's doing and is an experienced member. So don't tell me what she can't do.'. I don't know if I want to tell her my problems since last time she just pushed me away.
Original post by Mars.Iq
Last year I got assaulted by a supply teacher, and my head of year who is also a member of SLT, said 'she knows whats she's doing and is an experienced member. So don't tell me what she can't do.'. I don't know if I want to tell her my problems since last time she just pushed me away.

That was not my only suggestion, you can speak to the head of science/physics or another member of the SLT such as an assistant head. You could also speak to your parents/carers or another adult that you trust if speaking to someone at school seems too difficult.
Reply 4
Thank you, do you have any ideas on how I can open up a conversation with them about this?
Original post by Mars.Iq
Thank you, do you have any ideas on how I can open up a conversation with them about this?

It may be easier to start off by sending an email, I find talking to people quite difficult so having it written down first can help start a conversation. I would say that you are concerned that you are being unmarked fairly by this teacher, provide some evidence for this and ask what the next steps should be.
Reply 6
Thank you so much. Ill try that right away.

Quick Reply

Latest