The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

What are the chances I get the offer from Imperial for Computing?

Scroll to see replies

Is there still chances for people who applied like early November and early October to get an invite for 28th or is it just tiny chances lmao
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by vnayak
I would say 28th is the last publicised interview date but this may have changed though I doubt it. What they'll do is they'll fill the 28th interview date with people who sat the admissions test on the 16th of Feb and then any remaining places will come from people still waiting for interview.

As for internationals, I'm not sure how it's gonna work. If there are different dates for internationals (which I don't think is true because we had a person from Romania and Hungary in my interview group), and the interviews are still ongoing, it's quite close to A levels, don't you think?
Yes it is close to a levels just
Original post by SnowyPanda
Is there still chances for people who applied like early November and early October to get an invite for 28th or is it just tiny chances lmao

It’s not a good chance. Sometimes these things happen sadly but good luck for your future endeavours!!
Reply 83
I would say little chance. The odds of getting a JMC or CS interview at this stage is next to nothing. Where else have you applied? Do you have any offers from the other places?
Original post by vnayak
I would say little chance. The odds of getting a JMC or CS interview at this stage is next to nothing. Where else have you applied? Do you have any offers from the other places?
cambridge(rejected), ucl, kcl, and queen mary (including imperial as well), wbu? I only got queen mary offer, 3 As
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by vnayak
interviews will be sent out till 29th u said so in terms of chances, yh prolly little but still you never know
interviews will be sent out till 29th u said so in terms of chances, yh prolly little but still you never know
Is there anyone who did the admission test in Feb and is invited for an interview? Or it is just no the time?
Reply 87
Original post by Anonymous #8
Is there anyone who did the admission test in Feb and is invited for an interview? Or it is just no the time?
Most people who get the interviews will not have an account on TSR so they might have handed out CS interviews but we won't know.
Reply 88
Oh for sure! It's never over until it's over. But CS at Imperial is extremely competitive so if you don't hear back for interview within a few weeks or couple of months of applying, your chances become slimmer and slimmer. But still, you must maintain hope. I think they published the new data on the Imperial CS page. For every 1 place available, they had 17 applicants going for it.
really where does it say that, i tohught it was 20 applicants for 1 place
Reply 90
really where does it say that, i tohught it was 20 applicants for 1 place
search up imperial computing BEng and it will appear in the entry requirements section. the 1 in 20 was the stat for 2023 entry. So it either means that the number of applicants has dropped for this year or they are offering more places.
Original post by Anonymous #1
❤️... I got my offer on December 18th 10 pm.
can you do your STEP at your school? thanks
Reply 92
Original post by xiaohongstringer
can you do your STEP at your school? thanks
Yep...my school is a test centre for all the admissions tests. I did another admissions test for Cambridge in school in October.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi everyone,
I sent my application off on 27/09/2023. I completed the admissions test on 12/10/2023, which was extremely easy. I got the interview invite on 10/11/2023 and completed the interview on 29/11/2023. I think the interview went quite well other than one slightly shaky question. The interview ran over by 10 minutes. These are the things I've mentioned in my application or received:
GCSEs: 9999999988 (the two 8s are in English Lit and RS).
A levels (predicted): 5 A*s in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Computer Science and EPQ (Topic: Can we trust artificial intelligence and machine learning systems?)
Supercurricular stuff:
I started the school's Computer Science society where we hold debates and fun programming challenges from the Leetcode and Project Euler websites.
I have completed two bouts of work experience for the Fujitsu cybersecurity firm (virtual on the Springpod website) and a software development firm.
Avid member of Maths society and completed a 10 week problem solving course organised by the AMSP.
I represented my school in a competition organised by Leeds university between schools.
I was selected by my school to attend the Royal Institution Masterclasses organised by Leeds university.
Attended the Imperial Future Computing Taster Course.
Two merit certificates in the UKMT Senior Kangaroo (comes from getting two gold certificates in the Senior Maths Challenges and then performing well in the follow-up rounds).
Completed an industry-standard project for one of my work experience companies for an end-client.
I entered three essay competitions and one of my entries were shortlisted, which meant that I got free entry to a conference about the integration of AI in business.
I attended two conferences organised by Starling Bank and Google Cloud, which talked about the adoption and risks of AI.
I completed several MOOCs (data analysis using pandas, CS50x Introduction to Computer Science, Game development course in Java and PyGame, a course in C) and I consolidated my knowledge through my own personal projects like a two player space game and an infinite Mario runner.
Extra-curricular activities:
School House Captain
I play chess at the national level and have won various national and county events. I was the Junior County Champion in 2020 for Yorkshire.
I have completed 60 hours of volunteering and have attained my v60 certificate from Vinspired.
I have two part times jobs (private tutor and a contract tutor for Explore Learning).
I represent my school in badminton, football and cricket.

Hi, I currently want to do Compsci at imperial and am in Year 12,

How did you get your work experience and where?, Did you include every single thing you did in your PS?, How can I make coding projects Ik a little python and html?

Thanks for all the help and Congratulations!
Reply 94
Original post by Chrono147
Hi, I currently want to do Compsci at imperial and am in Year 12,
How did you get your work experience and where?, Did you include every single thing you did in your PS?, How can I make coding projects Ik a little python and html?
Thanks for all the help and Congratulations!

I'm the same person you asked in the "71 score on the MAT, rejected by both Oxford and Imperial" thread so I'll just respond here instead of both places.

I did my work experience for a software development company while I was on holiday in America. I was going to be in and around Silicon Valley so what better place for tech work experience, am I right? I was staying with my uncle so I asked him whether I could approach some companies and see whether they could offer me a work experience post and he was fine with it. I approached 5 companies and one of them got back to me, 2 said not at this short notice and the other 2 didn't get back to me. I accepted the placement from the company and did it for 2 weeks. I got to do some pretty cool stuff while I was there. I got to go into the CISCO headquarters while I was there because the company was helping the CISCO team with one of their products and that was pretty cool. I got the opportunity to network with some of the directors of CISCO and the work experience company while I was there (and I've connected will all of them via LinkedIn). I got a glowing reference from them. I also delivered a presentation to some new employees in the onboarding process talking about the different software methodologies that are undertaken during the development process and highlighted the key differences between the respective methodologies.

As for mentioning these activities, I would say I mentioned 90% of these activities on my personal statement. The other 10% were on another part of my application (Extra activities, teacher references etc.). For instance, I didn't actually mention my UKMT successes, which was extremely stupid of me on my part but I'm extremely fortunate that my teachers mentioned it in my reference.

How can you make coding projects?
Not too sure how to answer this one 😂...you just build it? In my case, I had three levels in terms of the scale of the project:

1) Personal Small scale- after completing MOOCs, I built a few games (2v2 space game, Noughts and Crosses in Java) and things myself for my own benefit and my own interest.

2) Personal Large Scale - I built a video game arcade with loads of games like Pacman, Space Invaders, Donkey Kong, Mario and many others. I was researching whether it would be possible for me to have a hardware element linked to it instead of having to play it on my laptop screen but I didn't have the finances to fund it so didn't go for it in the end.

3) Industry standard - I contacted my work experience company to see whether I could complete some form of project for them. They had recently received contact from another company asking them to build a stock ticker bot that informed end users on a mailing list linked to the company about significant changes in market values for stocks and using machine learning models, I also had to add the functionality of the bot predicting what would happen to the share price in the coming months based off studying current trends.

I would say that if you are going to build something, you need to increase familiarity with programming languages. You don't have to do programming if you aren't incredibly familiar with it - you can do loads of other things on your application to impress. It just so happens that my application was programming and problem solving focussed because of how well it links to my extracurriculars too (chess).

You also asked for additional tips about applying so here's what I got:

1) Get the best predicted grades you can.

2) Smash your admissions test. The TMUA isn't too hard if I may say so. I started preparing for it two weeks before the final date and in practice I was scoring 7.5-8.3 (to give you a bit of context, 6.5 is considered interview territory, though it has been going down by a lot in recent years because of the papers becoming increasingly difficult, though 2022 was the hardest one in my opinion, not the one I did this year). However, I know that different people are good at different things so I probably wouldn't leave preparation as late as I did. You need to do really well on the TMUA because if you don't, you may as well say goodbye to Cambridge AND Imperial. Imperial did their own separate admissions test (not the TMUA) this year so it meant that even if you messed up TMUA, you still have chances but not for 2025 entry.

3) If you haven't done a decent number of activities already, you're gonna have a lot of fun over summer, that's for sure.

Good luck! If you have any questions, ask away and I'll try to get back to you when I can.
Original post by vnayak
I'm the same person you asked in the "71 score on the MAT, rejected by both Oxford and Imperial" thread so I'll just respond here instead of both places.
I did my work experience for a software development company while I was on holiday in America. I was going to be in and around Silicon Valley so what better place for tech work experience, am I right? I was staying with my uncle so I asked him whether I could approach some companies and see whether they could offer me a work experience post and he was fine with it. I approached 5 companies and one of them got back to me, 2 said not at this short notice and the other 2 didn't get back to me. I accepted the placement from the company and did it for 2 weeks. I got to do some pretty cool stuff while I was there. I got to go into the CISCO headquarters while I was there because the company was helping the CISCO team with one of their products and that was pretty cool. I got the opportunity to network with some of the directors of CISCO and the work experience company while I was there (and I've connected will all of them via LinkedIn). I got a glowing reference from them. I also delivered a presentation to some new employees in the onboarding process talking about the different software methodologies that are undertaken during the development process and highlighted the key differences between the respective methodologies.
As for mentioning these activities, I would say I mentioned 90% of these activities on my personal statement. The other 10% were on another part of my application (Extra activities, teacher references etc.). For instance, I didn't actually mention my UKMT successes, which was extremely stupid of me on my part but I'm extremely fortunate that my teachers mentioned it in my reference.
Not too sure how to answer this one 😂...you just build it? In my case, I had three levels in terms of the scale of the project:
1) Personal Small scale- after completing MOOCs, I built a few games (2v2 space game, Noughts and Crosses in Java) and things myself for my own benefit and my own interest.
2) Personal Large Scale - I built a video game arcade with loads of games like Pacman, Space Invaders, Donkey Kong, Mario and many others. I was researching whether it would be possible for me to have a hardware element linked to it instead of having to play it on my laptop screen but I didn't have the finances to fund it so didn't go for it in the end.
3) Industry standard - I contacted my work experience company to see whether I could complete some form of project for them. They had recently received contact from another company asking them to build a stock ticker bot that informed end users on a mailing list linked to the company about significant changes in market values for stocks and using machine learning models, I also had to add the functionality of the bot predicting what would happen to the share price in the coming months based off studying current trends.
I would say that if you are going to build something, you need to increase familiarity with programming languages. You don't have to do programming if you aren't incredibly familiar with it - you can do loads of other things on your application to impress. It just so happens that my application was programming and problem solving focussed because of how well it links to my extracurriculars too (chess).
2) Smash your admissions test. The TMUA isn't too hard if I may say so. I started preparing for it two weeks before the final date and in practice I was scoring 7.5-8.3 (to give you a bit of context, 6.5 is considered interview territory, though it has been going down by a lot in recent years because of the papers becoming increasingly difficult, though 2022 was the hardest one in my opinion, not the one I did this year). However, I know that different people are good at different things so I probably wouldn't leave preparation as late as I did. You need to do really well on the TMUA because if you don't, you may as well say goodbye to Cambridge AND Imperial. Imperial did their own separate admissions test (not the TMUA) this year so it meant that even if you messed up TMUA, you still have chances but not for 2025 entry.
3) If you haven't done a decent number of activities already, you're gonna have a lot of fun over summer, that's for sure.
Good luck! If you have any questions, ask away and I'll try to get back to you when I can.

Thanks for all this help, I have a couple more questions if you don't mind, Lol:

1) If I were to read a book and then use on of the algorithms in the book and then create some sort of game/app with it would that be just as effective as making multiple projects as I only know some python and HTML?

2) Will doing just MOOCs on their own and then putting it into my PS be effective, or should I make something else with my knowledge from these MOOCs?

3) Is not having work experience put me behind compared to others who might?

I appreciate all your help, thanks so much!
Thanks for all this help, I have a couple more questions if you don't mind, Lol:
1) If I were to read a book and then use on of the algorithms in the book and then create some sort of game/app with it would that be just as effective as making multiple projects as I only know some python and HTML?
2) Will doing just MOOCs on their own and then putting it into my PS be effective, or should I make something else with my knowledge from these MOOCs?

Dude don’t sweat about it too much. I got a DoC offer and I really didn’t talk about much. In terms of projects, do - couple of decent ones - doesn’t matter where from but just be interesting then uptalk them. Do some academic research into some cs by yourself (eg in an epq style, fully referenced and on a reasonably obscure topic) which shouldn’t take more than a week and you can talk about that too. Work experience is nice to have but not necessary. Just do some projects. Most important in the selection process is mathematical reasoning (TMUA) and PS. Good luck!
Note that copying algorithms from a book and then using them in a project without retrospectively referencing them is a form of plagiarism, which is bad.
Reply 98

1) You can but they'll ask you about what you gained from the book, . On its own, it will not be the same as multiple projects - you'll have to have something impressive alongside it like UKMT certificates or a Physics Olympiad certificate or an Informatics Olympiad certificate.

Projects form a very big part of Computing and if you look at the courses, they will all have projects regardless of where you go. It is a good way of expressing individuality and uniqueness in your personal statement. And mention some cool ones that they won't have seen or heard of before. That way, you'll really pique their interest. But let me tell you this: Don't EVER fake ANYTHING in your application. When the time comes for interview, you will be grilled about it and if you can't answer the question, there's a high chance you'll be rejected.

2) You don't have to do something from every MOOC but you can consolidate your learning in some MOOCs by doing some independent side projects.

3) I'm not sure to what extent because it will show interest if you have it but at the top universities, there are so many factors at that stage that would have a lot more additional data to go off so while it may not be a dealbreaker, it wouldn't exactly hurt to have it.
Original post by vnayak

oxford or cambridge? why?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending