The Student Room Group

Healthy snacks at uni?

Right, so I don't know how this is going to go, and I'll probably end up deleting this, but meh. We shall see.

So I'm at uni atm, and it's totally screwed up my eating habits. We've got a very small fridge and a microwave in our kitchen, which I never ever use, and we get one meal a day in the canteen, which I also never use (this may need to change).

I don't like my weight, but there's nothing technically wrong with it (I'm 5'7, and about 8st 10, last time I checked). But at the moment I'm not eating properly. I literally ate nothing at all for four days last week, and now obviously I'm hungry so I've gone to the other extreme.

So I was just wondering if anyone could give me some ideas of healthy snack type foods that I could keep either in my room or in the fridge if I have to (preferably nothing that I have to cook, but meh). I'm thinking maybe I could try and get a sandwich for lunch, which isn't too unhealthy, but at the moment I'm living off Pot Noodles and/or soup, so yes. I'm unhealthy.

I also do a reasonable-ish amount of exercise - two nights kickboxing a week, sometimes three, and some running, skipping, sit-ups/press-ups and kbox practice outside sessions, so I need the energy.

This is probably a long shot, but meh. I'll delete it if it is.
Reply 1
Yogurt
Fruit cup
Apple
Banana
Pear
Peach
Grapes
Plum
Orange
Berries
Watermelon
Raisins
Carrots
Celery
Broccoli
Mixed nuts
Tomato
Chicken noodle soup
Cauliflower

Green or red peppers
Peanut butter crackers
Nuts
Whole wheat cereal with skim milk
Trail mix
Oatmeal
Whole wheat bagel or toast
Pure bran muffins
Fruit smoothie
Spinach
Sweet potato
Broth-based vegetable soup
Skim and low-fat milk
Bean soup
Reply 2
Lived off fruit bars/granola bars/any other long lasting food bar I could grab in the first 6 months in halls as I hated sharing a fridge/freezer, cooker or microwave. This post has made me wish i'd brought pot noodles now D:

A stash of fruit, veg and nuts perhaps? Cooked meats, prepared sandwich fillings and bread?
Reply 3
fidrildi
Lived off fruit bars/granola bars/any other long lasting food bar I could grab in the first 6 months in halls as I hated sharing a fridge/freezer, cooker or microwave. This post has made me wish i'd brought pot noodles now D:

A stash of fruit, veg and nuts perhaps? Cooked meats, prepared sandwich fillings and bread?

Fruit bars for 6 months?! :eek:
Reply 4
Tasty as anything. And reasonably cheap when rationed out.
Reply 5
I've never tried fruit bars before. :frown: I shall try them!

And thank-you for the other suggestions - especially nuts and stuff, I like nuts. :biggrin:

Sorry for the stupid question, just had a total mind-blank when it came to thinking of foods! All I can think of is proper meals, which I am really missing. Oh, the joys of living in uni halls...!
Reply 6
Hummus! You can dip all sorts of things in that.
georgia
Hummus! You can dip all sorts of things in that.

Yeah, and the Sainsbury's BGTY one is surprisingly low-calorie. I mean, you can eat three miniature tubs of it with half a cucumber for, ooh, < 250 calories? It's pretty tasty :smile:

(Although quite expensive, given it's not really a full meal.)
Reply 8
jacy_babi
Yogurt
Fruit cup
Apple
Banana
Pear
Peach
Grapes
Plum
Orange
Berries