The Student Room Group

Will SFE fund my tuition fees.

I am wondering if Student finance England (SFE) will fund the entirety of a degree I wish to apply to.
I started university this September on a 3 year course, I don't like the course and am re-applying to other courses through UCAS. I'm looking at a particular course with foundation year. I've checked and it should be 'year 0', meaning it's integrated and is a 4 year course, E.G [subject] with foundation.

I've read online that SFE counts part of a year as a full year of study for funding purposes. I've also seen that SFE works out funding by the equation 'course your applying to + 1 year - years of previous study'
Since the course I'm applying to is 4 years, and I get an extra 1 year as a 'gift year'
Would this make the calculation '4 years for course I'm applying to + 1 year gift year - 1 year previous study' 4+1-1 = 4 year of available funding for this course.

Would this mean SFE would fund the entirety of this course, or have I missed anything with this.
(edited 3 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LukeTome
I am wondering if Student finance England (SFE) will fund the entirety of a degree I wish to apply to.
I started university this September on a 3 year course, I don't like the course and am re-applying to other courses through UCAS. I'm looking at a particular course with foundation year. I've checked and it should be 'year 0', meaning it's integrated and is a 4 year course, E.G [subject] with foundation.

I've read online that SFE counts part of a year as a full year of study for funding purposes. I've also seen that SFE works out funding by the equation 'course your applying to + 1 year - years of previous study'
Since the course I'm applying to is 4 years, and I get an extra 1 year as a 'gift year'
Would this make the calculation '4 years for course I'm applying to + 1 year gift year - 1 year previous study' 4+1-1 = 4 year of available funding for this course.

Would this mean SFE would fund the entirety of this course, or have I missed anything with this.

Hi there, The calculation you have used is correct, if your course is 4 years in length funding would be available for all 4 years. Thanks, Angela
Reply 2
Original post by Angela SFE
Hi there, The calculation you have used is correct, if your course is 4 years in length funding would be available for all 4 years. Thanks, Angela

Hello, Thanks for the reply. I'm just wondering, when you say 'if your course is 4 years in length' do you mean the one I'm applying to, or the one I am currently on? Thanks.
(edited 3 months ago)
Hello, Thanks for the reply. I'm just wondering, when you say 'if your course is 4 years in length' do you mean the one I'm applying to, or the one I am currently on? Thanks.

Hi there, How long will the new course be for? Thanks, Angela
Reply 4
Hi there, How long will the new course be for? Thanks, Angela

Hello, the new course will be for 4 years.
Hi there, The calculation would therefore be as follows:
New course 4 years + 1 additional year = 5 years - then minus any years of previous study - the figure would be the amount of years of full funding available. So if you only have the one year of precious study full funding will be available for all 4 years of the new course. Thanks, Angela
Reply 6
Hi there, The calculation would therefore be as follows:
New course 4 years + 1 additional year = 5 years - then minus any years of previous study - the figure would be the amount of years of full funding available. So if you only have the one year of precious study full funding will be available for all 4 years of the new course. Thanks, Angela

Thanks you very much for the reply, I have been confused as some people have claimed that the course you are currently on/have been on, is what the entitlement is based on, however I assumed this was incorrect. Thank you for clarifying that if I have only had 1 year previous study, then full funding will be available for 4 years on the new course.
Thanks you very much for the reply, I have been confused as some people have claimed that the course you are currently on/have been on, is what the entitlement is based on, however I assumed this was incorrect. Thank you for clarifying that if I have only had 1 year previous study, then full funding will be available for 4 years on the new course.

Hi Luke, Yes that is correct full funding for the 4 years. Thanks, Angela
Reply 8
Hi Luke, Yes that is correct full funding for the 4 years. Thanks, Angela

Thank you for your support with this question.
Thank you for your support with this question.

You are more than welcome. Thanks, Angela
Reply 10
You are more than welcome. Thanks, Angela

Hey Angela, quick question. Would the following course' foundation year count as a integrated part, as a year 0, and be a 4 year course. Or would it be a standalone foundation course, and therefore not eligible for full funding. I have reached out to the university and they advised me to contact SFE directly for this. The UCAS link can be found here: UCAS, and the University website link here: University Website. As well as some additional information here. Thank you for any support on this.
(edited 3 months ago)
Hey Angela, quick question. Would the following course' foundation year count as a integrated part, as a year 0, and be a 4 year course. Or would it be a standalone foundation course, and therefore not eligible for full funding. I have reached out to the university and they advised me to contact SFE directly for this. The UCAS link can be found here: UCAS, and the University website link here: University Website. As well as some additional information here. Thank you for any support on this.

Hi Luke,

We can't open links, you would need to advise us the full course name and when it starts? What university are you studying this through?

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 12
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi Luke,

We can't open links, you would need to advise us the full course name and when it starts? What university are you studying this through?

Thanks,
Claire

Hello, thanks for the reply

The course is ‘Accounting and Finance With Foundation’ at Durham University course code NN4H. Starting September 2024. I’m fairly sure based on UCAS and the university information it is a year 0 and 4 year course, however they advised they can’t inform me and I must reach out to SFE for this information.

Thank you, Luke
(edited 3 months ago)
Hello, thanks for the reply

The course is ‘Accounting and Finance With Foundation’ at Durham University course code NN4H. Starting September 2024. I’m fairly sure based on UCAS and the university information it is a year 0 and 4 year course, however they advised they can’t inform me and I must reach out to SFE for this information.

Thank you, Luke

Checking the system the university have updated the course to show as 4 year course and is laid out as below:

Foundation Year
Year 1
Year 2
Year 3

This shows the foundation year is integrated and not a standalone.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 14
Checking the system the university have updated the course to show as 4 year course and is laid out as below:

Foundation Year
Year 1
Year 2
Year 3

This shows the foundation year is integrated and not a standalone.

Thanks,
Claire

Thank you very much for this. Just to verify, this means that the calculation when assessing a students funding for this course would be. 4 years for the course your applying for + 1 gift year - years of previous study. so if someone had 1 years previous study, and wanted to do 'Accounting and Finance With Foundation' at Durham, the calculation would be. 4+1-1=4, meaning full funding would be possible for this course, as the foundation year is integrated, and makes it a 4 year course. Meaning 5 years of funding with the 'gift year', and then 1 less for previous study, allows the full 4 years of funding. Thanks, Luke
(edited 3 months ago)
Thank you very much for this. Just to verify, this means that the calculation when assessing a students funding for this course would be. 4 years for the course your applying for + 1 gift year - years of previous study. so if someone had 1 years previous study, and wanted to do 'Accounting and Finance With Foundation' at Durham, the calculation would be. 4+1-1=4, meaning full funding would be possible for this course, as the foundation year is integrated, and makes it a 4 year course. Meaning 5 years of funding with the 'gift year', and then 1 less for previous study, allows the full 4 years of funding. Thanks, Luke

Yes, that's correct.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 16
Yes, that's correct.

Thanks,
Claire

Thanks you very much for your reply and support with this.
Thanks you very much for your reply and support with this.

You're welcome Luke! Have a nice evening.
Thanks,
Claire
Reply 18
Hello, Im wondering if you would be able to check the same thing as this for another course,

The course is ‘Accounting, Finance and Economics Foundation Year’ at Northumbria University, the course code is 'N775', starting September 2024, would the course' foundation year count as a integrated part, making it 4 years.

What I'm wondering is whether this course is a full 4 year course or a 3 year course with a foundation year, as I have already had 1 year of previous study. Meaning that if it is a 3 year course with a foundation year the equation would be '3+1-1=3 years of funding' and I have to self fund a year, but if its a 4 year course, it is '4+1-1=4 years of funding' and I would be able to get a tuition fee loan for the full course.

I’m fairly sure based on the information I can find that this is also a 4 year course, and is eligible for full funding via tuition fee loans for someone with 1 years previous study, however they advised they can’t inform me, and that I must reach out to SFE for this information.

Thank you very much, regards Luke
(edited 3 months ago)
Hello, Im wondering if you would be able to check the same thing as this for another course,

The course is ‘Accounting, Finance and Economics Foundation Year’ at Northumbria University, the course code is 'N775', starting September 2024, would the course' foundation year count as a integrated part, making it 4 years.

What I'm wondering is whether this course is a full 4 year course or a 3 year course with a foundation year, as I have already had 1 year of previous study. Meaning that if it is a 3 year course with a foundation year the equation would be '3+1-1=3 years of funding' and I have to self fund a year, but if its a 4 year course, it is '4+1-1=4 years of funding' and I would be able to get a tuition fee loan for the full course.

I’m fairly sure based on the information I can find that this is also a 4 year course, and is eligible for full funding via tuition fee loans for someone with 1 years previous study, however they advised they can’t inform me, and that I must reach out to SFE for this information.

Thank you very much, regards Luke

Hi Luke,

This course shows as 5 year course including the foundation year.

Thanks,
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending