The Student Room Group

TSR Reading Challenge 2024

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Am starting with Agatha Christie, super excited to finally read her novels :colondollar: only taken me forever to do so :hide:

I feel like I should read one at some point too let me know if they're any good! :lol:
A mix of all 3 altho mostly physical books
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by Saracen's Fez
I feel like I should read one at some point too let me know if they're any good! :lol:

Agreed ive only read sparkling cyanide but i feel she has sm better ones
My goal is to read 12 books this year , might not seem many but it's 11.5 more than what I managed last year :lol:
On my list to read are the Thursday murder club series by Richard Osman, and the Silo trilogy by Hugh Howey (a show made Silo was released last year based on the books and was :awesome:)
Original post by flaurie
My goal is to read 12 books this year , might not seem many but it's 11.5 more than what I managed last year :lol:
On my list to read are the Thursday murder club series by Richard Osman, and the Silo trilogy by Hugh Howey (a show made Silo was released last year based on the books and was :awesome:)

I am also interested as to whether these are any good as I've heard incredibly mixed reviews! :lol:
I am also interested as to whether these are any good as I've heard incredibly mixed reviews! :lol:

I read the first one a number of years ago when it was new and really enjoyed it!
I enjoyed the Thursday murder club! Hope u do as well
Original post by ebyrne2036
I enjoyed the Thursday murder club! Hope u do as well

ahh thats on my list along with all of richard osmans other books. Is it worth the hype??
Nah it isn’t but it’s still a good read but it didn’t make me want to read the rest if u get me
Original post by ebyrne2036
Nah it isn’t but it’s still a good read but it didn’t make me want to read the rest if u get me

oh alr, cause i was ready to read the whole series not knowing if it was good or not
Original post by Chronoscope

Happy New Year!!!

Its been a while since we've done a reading challenge on TSR (I think the last one might have been in 2020)

The aim of the challenge is to pick a reading goal you're happy with (you can increase or decrease your goal too), and share the books you're reading along the way in this thread :smile:

Good luck!

Icebreaker questions :grouphugs:
What book(s) are you currently reading?
Did you get any books for Christmas? :xmas:
How many books are you aiming to read this year?
How many books did you read in 2023?

I think my reading goal is going to be about 35-40 books to give myself some room

Wow I really enjoyed the first one I read - the Murder of Richard Ackroyd. Incredibly well written, you can imagine the whole scene and the writing isn't hard to follow at all. Definitely recommend! I was thinking it would take time to settle into Christie's writing style but it's very seamless to get into, not like maybe Conan Doyle where you have to get into it a bit.
I'm onto the Secret Adversary next and already excited by the prologue :mmm:

Also re:Richard Osman's murder series, I really enjoyed it and have read all of the books so far. I think my favourite is the 2nd one :beard:
Wow I really enjoyed the first one I read - the Murder of Richard Ackroyd. Incredibly well written, you can imagine the whole scene and the writing isn't hard to follow at all. Definitely recommend! I was thinking it would take time to settle into Christie's writing style but it's very seamless to get into, not like maybe Conan Doyle where you have to get into it a bit.
I'm onto the Secret Adversary next and already excited by the prologue :mmm:

Also re:Richard Osman's murder series, I really enjoyed it and have read all of the books so far. I think my favourite is the 2nd one :beard:

I quite enjoyed Conan Doyle so I definitely feel like I need to search out some Agatha Christie now a trip to Central Library may be needed!
there's nothing more encouraging than to see discussions of different titles here ^^

for some reason when i keep a goal like how many i ought to finish by a particular date i dont happen to complete reading so i guess ill go with the flow of varied people's reccs from online and also the book club here :woo:

really grateful for the spreadsheet offered here, since i usually dont keep track ^^
Original post by study23!
Hi all again!

Books currently reading
Picture of Dorian Gray - about 3 chapters in. But I'm also halfway through Lockwood and Co2, halfway through Sorcery of Thorns, and halfway through Renegades. Honestly I should probably finish those first 😂

Books for Christmas
When Breath Becomes Air, Fourth Wing, Powerless, Bad Science, Fable. I've read two of these since.

Book Goal 2024
24 for 2024! Realistically I'm going to struggle for time so I think this is realistic of an average of 2 a month.

Book Count 2023
Uhhh maybe like 7? I had a HUGE book slump last year. My goal was 35 (highest I've ever done is 56), and I did not deliver 😭 Every Christmas though I get excited for it again - so I'm strategically planning out the ones I think I will love most in between the ones I might not, so I have something to look forward to if I'm currently reading a bad book 😂

The books I'm most excited for this year are Fourth Wing, King of Scars, Reckless (when it comes out), The Atlas Six and maybe I can force myself to finish HOO series with Mark of Athena

Also some of you are such fast readers - like how are you human?! Wish I had that level of commitment

yoo how is Renegades going so far ? :awesome: its by the same author who've written Cinder right ?
i kindof recall reading it earlier
Reply 35
Original post by inanotherlifeee
yoo how is Renegades going so far ? :awesome: its by the same author who've written Cinder right ?
i kindof recall reading it earlier

Yes it is! I haven’t read Cinder but renegades is pretty good at the moment, it’s the first book I’ve read revolving superheroes but I’m enjoying it, just need to finish it 😂
Love this :gah:
Similarly to Fez, going for 40 --> 45 this year!
Am starting with Agatha Christie, super excited to finally read her novels :colondollar: only taken me forever to do so :hide:

SAMMMMEE, hallooo my name is harry i aim to read 100 books this year while juggling a levels I have already read 4, reading my 5th one now. I have a bad habit once i start books I can't put them down so iend up reading a 500 page book in 24 hours
Original post by halfharry
SAMMMMEE, hallooo my name is harry i aim to read 100 books this year while juggling a levels I have already read 4, reading my 5th one now. I have a bad habit once i start books I can't put them down so iend up reading a 500 page book in 24 hours

this is the realest thing ever, my aim this yr is 125+ along with my a levels and im on my 8th book for the year i have half of it left i think so 300 pages, not too bad.
Original post by Tatakae L
this is the realest thing ever, my aim this yr is 125+ along with my a levels and im on my 8th book for the year i have half of it left i think so 300 pages, not too bad.

yeah i just finished from blood and ash, i like to read books that are series and realised there are SIX BOOKS in the series, RIP revision. Plus which agatha christie books have u read?
Original post by halfharry
yeah i just finished from blood and ash, i like to read books that are series and realised there are SIX BOOKS in the series, RIP revision. Plus which agatha christie books have u read?

ive read them so long ago but they were some of the detective ones prirot (ik i butchered that spelling im sorryy) i think they were the like 5 and 7th ones in the seeries or something, one about the golf course and i cant acc remember the other one, i just know i loved it. i have watched the movies too death on the nile and the orient express. i might have read the orient express too? im not sure.
and im going to start the 3rd book of from blood and ash after ive finished the 3rd book of acotar 😭😭. im spliting the series up because acotar im reading with my freind who is a slowww reader so when i finish it i move back to from blood and ash and other books, its chaotic and i never do it normally but then again ive never read the same book as her at the same time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending