The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Admit-One
Given that ‘Reply’ operates the same as a single quote, I can understand the change. Probably less than 1% of users ever need to multi-quote, so having them do an extra click is in line with all the old ‘advanced’ functions being hidden.

The edit quote I agree is a frustratingly late arrival.
There's always a balance between clutter and discoverability; given the number of questions I've seen asking "how do I multiquote?", I'd suggest that the balance is wrong in this case.

@RainbowLapras : just seen another "nasty interaction" between the triple dots and the adverts - clicked on the triple dots, "Add Quote" popped up, but then the page layout changed when new adverts loaded, and I was left with a floating "Add Quote" not obviously connected to any reply (I assume it was still linked to the original reply, but that's just a guess). It seemed I also lost the ability to scroll with the mouse wheel, but I'm not 100% sure if that was connected.
Original post by DFranklin
The initial implementation of React was missing a bunch of functionality (plus had a bunch of bugs). 3 months in, they've just reinstated a way to add multiple quotes. However, they for some reason have hidden it behind a triple dot "options" button where (under normal circumstances) the only option is Add Quote - as many have pointed out, this makes no sense unless you want people to struggle to find it - just add a damn Add Quote button!

However, even when you find how to add quotes, you still can't edit them; seeing as you almost never want to add multiple quotes without trimming them, this makes the React multiquote implementation effectively unusable (on desktop I now just put in manual quote tags and copy and paste; on mobile I usually just don't bother to reply at all).

There are also multiple issues (well, one underlying issue, probably) with handling of "non-standard" quoting usages (e.g. nested quotes).

Honestly - if you want to get a feel for the situation I suggest running in React mode for a while - a lot of functionality is missing, there are many minor issues, and overall it's just "janky", for want of a better word. You just have to accept that around 1 time in 10, something will go wrong while trying to reply to a post, or navigate to your notifications, or...

PRSOM
Original post by DFranklin
There's always a balance between clutter and discoverability; given the number of questions I've seen asking "how do I multiquote?", I'd suggest that the balance is wrong in this case.

To be fair I think it would be simplest if the reply button just behaved like the old quote one, IE you could just press it multiple times on different posts.
Currently the reply and quote button works the same way in ST2 unless I’m mistaken here so they could have simply copied the 2 buttons over (rather than further hiding the quote one behind 3 dots) but have them work differently.

So have the Reply button work the way that it does on React then have the quote button work the way that it does on ST2 but have said quote button clear and visible rather than the current implementation where it’s hidden behind 3 dots as you’re getting several users (new and established) asking how to mutliquote/reply.

I say have the reply button work the way it does in react as your given the advantage of specific replies being saved when you reclick reply on the post that you’re trying to respond to.

If this deserves its own thread in relevant forum then be it, feel free to move/copy this.

Edit: fixed grammar.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Talkative Toad
Currently the reply and quote button works the same way in ST2 unless I’m mistaken here so they could have simply copied the 2 buttons over (rather than further hiding the quote one behind 3 dots) but have them work differently.

So have the Reply button work the way that it does on React then have the quote button work the way that it does on ST2 but have said quote button clear and visible rather than the current implementation where it’s hidden behind 3 dots as you’re getting several users (new and established) asking how to mutliquote/reply.

I say have the reply button work the way it does in react as your given the advantage of specific replies being saved when you reclick reply on the post that you’re trying to respond to.

If this deserves its own thread in relevant forum then be it, feel free to move/copy this.

Edit: fixed grammar.

Reply button should move the text editor to directly underneath the post you are replying to. Therefore, it's intended use is primarily when you wish to reply to just one post, and that purpose has continued on React.

Quote button just adds a quote to the text editor at the bottom of the page (or wherever the text editor happens to be).

Of course, the view source button (the [noparse]</>[/noparse] one) would solve all of the above problems as you could manually type your multi quotes and curate them as needed. I would find this method quicker than the three dots.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by 04MR17
Reply button should move the text editor to directly underneath the post you are replying to. Therefore, it's intended use is primarily when you wish to reply to just one post, and that purpose has continued on React.

Quote button just adds a quote to the text editor at the bottom of the page (or wherever the text editor happens to be).

Of course, the view source button (the </> one) would solve all of the above problems as you could manually type your multi quotes and curate them as needed. I would find this method quicker than the three dots.

That makes sense (the first two paragraphs on what the difference is).

I agree, that button needs to be added soon.
Think we are using this conversation and the general React conversation in similar ways and it's splitting up the feedback. I'm going to close this conversation tomorrow morning so that we can better centralise everything in the React Feedback thread.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Evil Homer
Think we are using this conversation and the general React conversation in similar ways and it's splitting up the feedback. I'm going to close this conversation tomorrow morning so that we can better centralise everything in the React Feedback thread.
Is the linked spreadsheet on the other thread current or should it point to f1645 or ...? Similarly the list of releases seems to have stopped ~6 weeks ago.
Original post by mqb2766
Is the linked spreadsheet on the other thread current or should it point to f1645 or ...? Similarly the list of releases seems to have stopped ~6 weeks ago.

Apologies, the list of releases is my bad! I'll get that updated soon :work:
Original post by mqb2766

The release list should be up-to-date now, and I've updated the link to point at the feedback forum instead, thank you for flagging it! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending