The Student Room Group

New Thread Experience Feedback - Official Thread

As many of you know we have been slowly releasing our new thread experience. We are now really proud of it and are ready to begin moving our members over to our new look threads. Here's what you can expect to see on our new experience:

- Improved discussion look and feel
- Faster site speed so you can get the information you need quicker
- Easier for users to join discussions or to start their own
- More exciting features still to come!

We are aware of some core functionality that is yet to be created, namely the multi quote feature and improving the text editor from a slightly more basic version we have right now.

Over the next few weeks we will be moving batches of users who are on our old thread experience over to our new one. We hope to have this process complete over the next few weeks.

This is our official thread for you to share your thoughts on our new experience, to request updates or features or to share any bugs that you might encounter :smile:

We are looking forward to hearing what you think :yeah:

Current list of new thread experience key issues and missing features can be found here, and a small update on the immediate roadmap can be seen here.

React Releases

(edited 1 month ago)

Scroll to see replies

What I like:
-Finally an easy way to access your ignore list (I don’t use the feature but it’s good to have), would be nice if there was an easy way to access contacts and friends as well: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/profile.php?do=buddylist (useful for when you only want certain users to have the ability to contact you).
-Speed is good

What I want:
-for posts to say post #2 instead of reply no.1 or for users to be given the ability to decide what they’d prefer
- bookmarks (not sure whether that’s already there or not).
- a functional search feature (the new one is poor compared to the old one)
- a way to easily filter unanswered threads by forum (any TSR Forum that you have access to)
-more colour, not a fan of the lack of colour in the new design
- for no existing functionality on ST2 to be removed when moving to REACT
- Better profile pages and PMs? Some features no longer work in profile pages or PMs
- [altergame] doesn’t work.
-Let experienced users decide whether they’d like to switch over to react or not until all of the functionality is added or give user an option to switch out of the update until it’s completed.

What I don’t like:
- The new search engine of course (sometimes I do find it more useful than the old one but overseas it’s lacking and slacking)
- the persons symbol next to volunteer team members (I prefer the way a VT username looks on ST2 compared REACT)
- Keeps asking me to fill in my stage of education when I switch to react (I’ve clicked on the X button TSR, give it a rest, Toad isn’t going to fill in the box).
- profile pictures have become smaller once again, I’d honestly just let everyone have 50 by 50 square profile pictures
- Colour of rep gems have reversed? Not bothered about this but a new rep ceiling of 12–> 15 gems would be nice (13th gem for 100K rep, 14th gem for 200K?) and for new users to give +1 rep instead of 0
- Quoting on react isn’t good (you can’t see the whole quote by the looks of it so it’s hard when you only want to respond to specific part of a quote)
- The fact that it says 99+ notifications instead of the actual number, please just give me the actual number. I prefer to see 107, 1108, 678 or whatever the number is over 99+
- PM symbol always shows 3 PMs for some reason 🙇🏾*♀️.

That’s it from me for now. I’ve heard that scrolling is bad on React.
This one is important, forget to mention it but it would be better if the latest threads widget appear before the trending one (this has some confused users and I’ve seen them say “where are the latest threads, has that been removed? as that’s predominantly how I use the website”)
It's a more modern look, but would be preferable if areas were more clearly divided. The multi-quote feature is definitely needed back. Also, as you may already know, there's no ability to moderate a thread.
Original post by -Eirlys-
It's a more modern look, but would be preferable if areas were more clearly divided. The multi-quote feature is definitely needed back. Also, as you may already know, there's no ability to moderate a thread.

We are currently allowing all volunteers and forum helpers as well as staff and moderators the ability to switch between the two as we haven't currently built that moderation functionality on react :smile:
wanted to know where you can add a spoiler? i cannot find this feature on web/computer. thanks :smile:
Original post by emm4nuella
wanted to know where you can add a spoiler? i cannot find this feature on web/computer. thanks :smile:

Currently this would need to be typed manually using {spoiler}content{/spoiler} - you'll need to replace the { and } with [ and ] though!

In terms of being able to do this using the text editor like on the previous thread experience, this is a feature we're still working on which should be added in the near future :yep:
Original post by RainbowLapras
Currently this would need to be typed manually using {spoiler}content{/spoiler} - you'll need to replace the { and } with [ and ] though!

In terms of being able to do this using the text editor like on the previous thread experience, this is a feature we're still working on which should be added in the near future :yep:

Reply 8
i like the way this ones laid out - its much easier to use - but i think the top thing (the blue thing idk what its called - the header?) is too big and takes up too much of the space maybe its just my scrren though
Thanks for the feedback @whoskaavya! That's really useful to know :smile:
Some things I would change:
-- You can't do line bullet points as it automatically changes to round ones or gets rid of it :frown:
-- no ability to quote
-- very minimal reply box features (no TSR emojis/spoilers/url adding etc.)
-- lots less colour compared to the previous one
-- you have to scroll past the first post if you want to go to the last page/a specific page so I think this should be at the top like it used to be
-- its not as clear who the OP is as it only comes up with a small star next to their name
-- I would really love the option for a dark mode

Some things I like
-- easier to post something
-- that the rep gems go from light to dark as I think it makes more sense this way
-- easier to navigate
-- simpler to delete posts
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by agent_duck343
-- You can't do line bullet points as it automatically changes to round ones or gets rid of it :frown:
-- no ability to quote
-- you have to scroll past the first post if you want to go to the last page/a specific page so I think this should be at the top like it used to be
-- its not as clear who the OP is as it only comes up with a small star next to their name

Some things I like
-- that the rep gems go from light to dark as I think it makes more sense this way
-- easier to navigate

Thank you for the feedback :smile: We will be sharing all this with the team so it's really appreciated! I think a few things in your change list will be coming really soon!
Original post by Evil Homer
Thank you for the feedback :smile: We will be sharing all this with the team so it's really appreciated! I think a few things in your change list will be coming really soon!

Ooh can't wait
How do I tag users now as it isn't working
Ooh can't wait
How do I tag users now as it isn't working

That is something that is coming very soon! If you hit reply underneath a post you can quote individual posts. I've posted this in the new experience :smile:
-- no ability to quote

Some things I like
-- easier to navigate

agree with this! i also want to make it easier to tag someone to, and in the reply box, i would love the emojis to be added as i cant see any of those
The interface does look clean though hopefully they’ll be an option to easily switch between fonts, colours, post TSR emojis etc.
Well, the disappearing cursor problem went away when I got switched to react, but I'm not a big fan of this new look. I also dislike the lack of text editing tools, although I noticed we now have a strikethrough button which is nice and simpler than the formatting code you had to do before. Still, I'd like to know when we can expect to have the emojis back. I notice that... they still exist, I can write the codes of the old emojis and they still work
(edited 5 months ago)
I'm not a fan of the new design, preferred the old one along with the old search facility.
The new design is not that compatible with comodo dragon browser and makes it very difficult to view on a windows 7 operating system.
Discussion Experience Update V2.13.0:

- Add links and images
- User tagging
- Allow emojis (not TSR custom ones yet)
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by Scotland Yard
Well, the disappearing cursor problem went away when I got switched to react, but I'm not a big fan of this new look. I also dislike the lack of text editing tools, although I noticed we now have a strikethrough button which is nice and simpler than the formatting code you had to do before. Still, I'd like to know when we can expect to have the emojis back. I notice that... they still exist, I can write the codes of the old emojis and they still work

Could you detail a little more which text editing tools you are missing the most?

We are working on the TSR emojis :smile:
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending