The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by circusqueen
It's interesting how this renders completely differently on chrome v Samsung Internet.

I have chrome white and the Samsung Internet on dark mode so would expect some differences.

But two that pop out to me are
Chrome : can see which threads I have opened or not by a slight change in font. I cannot see which threads I have contributed to (no pen icon).

Samsung Internet : cannot see which threads I have opened. But have the pen icon to show whoch ones I have contributed to.

I need a combination of both (ie which ones I have read / contributed to) on both systems ideally please.

I suspect it is the dark mode that's causing the issue. How is it with that turned off?
Minor issue that possibly is user error but is catching me out quite a bit:

If I hover over the notification bell to get the popup, the popup frequently drops down when I try to move to it. (Edit: this is on desktop/Firefox)

One cause is that if you hover over the notification bell, the popup menu is basically right-aligned with the edge of the bell icon. In other words, if I were to drag down and right, I would likely miss the popup menu. So my tendency is to drag left of the bell icon while moving down - if I go too far left it pops down.

I thought that was the cause (and so it was kind of an ergonomics issue causing user error), but there are definitely times when I drag straight down and get the same pop-down effect. It's not totally repeatable, but it's around a 50/50 guess whether it will pop down.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 62
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/ just has an endless load/buffer for me, all my 'watched' stuff has disappeared.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 63
Original post by gjd800
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/ just has an endless load/buffer for me, all my 'watched' stuff has disappeared.

Same for me, nothing will load except the latest discussions box
So, now I can access the home page on Desktop:

The "For You" feed is utterly, utterly hopeless. I'm literally looking at the suggestions and (in every case) thinking "why on earth did TSR think this would interest me?"

I honestly think you need to get rid of it if you can't get it to make more sensible suggestions.

Actually, looking again, I see it's a selection from the last 10 or so threads that have been posted to.
I think you are prioritizing recency far too much - as it is its functionally just a badly titled duplicate of the "Latest" sidebar (which is also pretty useless if you ask me - recency is just a bad metric on a site with this many threads/users).
(edited 3 months ago)
General comment: the website is currently being extremely slow for me (including some timeouts).

I'm not sure if this is old or new, but following a "rep given" notification, the page I'm sent to isn't showing the updated rep count (even when I pressed refresh, as far as I recall).
@gjd800 @beth_bch @DFranklin thanks for notifying us. We're currently investigating slowness of the site in general and the homepage feed.

Hopefully the site has sped up a bit for you already?
Original post by Scotland Yard
What's done is done but this rebrand feels very un-TSR and more like the colour scheme of a Halloween supplies website. But oh well.

On mobile, I can't click on the individual notifications - wherever I tap it highlights the bell button and redirects me to the notifications page

Edit: never mind, it fixed itself.

I totally agree. Light(ish) blue was more neutral to the eyes, this is too much contrast for me and I actually like purple. Could individuals use the old theme colours?
Original post by DFranklin
So, now I can access the home page on Desktop:

The "For You" feed is utterly, utterly hopeless. I'm literally looking at the suggestions and (in every case) thinking "why on earth did TSR think this would interest me?"

I honestly think you need to get rid of it if you can't get it to make more sensible suggestions.

Actually, looking again, I see it's a selection from the last 10 or so threads that have been posted to.
I think you are prioritizing recency far too much - as it is its functionally just a badly titled duplicate of the "Latest" sidebar (which is also pretty useless if you ask me - recency is just a bad metric on a site with this many threads/users).

That's useful to know, thanks. The "For You" feed behaves differently for different people, depending on your site usage.

We're tweaking the algorithms to get the right balance between latest/recommended threads, so I'll make a note that you're seeing too much from latest.
Original post by ChrisN
I suspect it is the dark mode that's causing the issue. How is it with that turned off?

Good idea.

I turned it off on the Samsung one, and the icons /difficulty in identifying read / unread threads persists in fact it is much worse not in dark view. So dark mode on phone is easier than white to see what's been read.

The actual icons against each thread are different to the chrome view.

It may be linked to the fact that since the first iterations of changes forum pages (eg the med schools forum) when you look at it on chrome appears to be mobile enabled. The Samsung view doesn't appear to be and everything is tiny. So perhaps its more a function of that rather than the icons themselves ?

Could also be a PICNIC problem though 😊
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by dinosaurchef
That's useful to know, thanks. The "For You" feed behaves differently for different people, depending on your site usage.

We're tweaking the algorithms to get the right balance between latest/recommended threads, so I'll make a note that you're seeing too much from latest.

I would agree with this.
Everybody is different but foe those who operate in a relatively discrete area of the forum the more general "for you" stuff isn't relevant at all. I would much rather have a more easily accessible set of links to my most watched threads or.most watched fora if this was possible.
@gjd800 @beth_bch @DFranklin thanks for notifying us. We're currently investigating slowness of the site in general and the homepage feed.

I was seeing extremely slow performance for a few minutes just before I made that post. It's OK now, but it's obviously sporadic, it would be a bit early for me to say anything has actually got better overall.

Following a post link from the "My Reputation" page is consistently pretty slow for me right now though.

What's odd is that the feed shows 6 threads, this thread (i.e. the thread I'm on right now) is showing on the Latest sidebar at position 6, and yet it's not in the feed.

So it seems like it's actively avoiding the threads I'm actually interested in...

I don't think the algorithm merely needs tweaking - it seems to need far more fundamental changes.
Original post by gjd800

Same here, it took 50 seconds to load before I got this:
IMG_1394.png
I’m not experiencing slowness anywhere else at the moment which is good

Edit: crap I spoke too soon with regards to slowness.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by BreadForce
I totally agree. Light(ish) blue was more neutral to the eyes, this is too much contrast for me and I actually like purple. Could individuals use the old theme colours?

At the risk of upsetting @Evil Homer , I mentioned that the primary site colours were now purple and green to a colleague who has worked as a film colorist. His response:

"Oh Wow." (not in a good way).
Reply 75
At the risk of upsetting @Evil Homer , I mentioned that the primary site colours were now purple and green to a colleague who has worked as a film colorist. His response:

"Oh Wow." (not in a good way).

I mean if it is good enough for Wimbledon!Maybe Homer likes Tennis!
Original post by BreadForce
Before the update tabs on my browser clearly had TSR written, now this vague new logo. It's ok on the main page but not on the tab.

Agreed, as an icon it looks too much like a Windows icon with bad colours.

I've had more timeouts since I posted before - so clearly something still not right. (Although sometimes TSR just has timeouts, I suppose...)
Re: homepage. I miss the list of threads that were the most recently posted in. I also miss the menu on the homepage with my watched forums which was an incredibly helpful shortcut to the forums which I keep an eye on. I can just put them on the bookmarks but I'd like for the watched forums widget to come back sooner rather than later
Agreed, as an icon it looks too much like a Windows icon with bad colours.

It was just one tab actually so I've deleted my post. All the others are still showing TSR 😊

Latest

Trending

Trending