The Student Room Group

Imperial Medical Biosciences 2024 entry

Scroll to see replies

Rejected with 4A* predicted, 1x AS A, 11x9s at GCSE, packed personal statement. Ngl i'm absolutely spiralling right now. Hopefully things will look a little brighter in the morning.
Original post by deep_sea_thing
Rejected with 4A* predicted, 1x AS A, 11x9s at GCSE, packed personal statement. Ngl i'm absolutely spiralling right now. Hopefully things will look a little brighter in the morning.

Omgggg
Reply 142
Original post by deep_sea_thing
Oh my god. How could it be?? How do they shortlist the students?
Reply 143
Original post by Drugeifbwdbsoh
Gonna be some vague answers anyway
Ai... waste of time then.
Original post by wwwy
WHO KNOWS D: They don't interview or have admissions tests! I applied early Dec and that might have been a problem.
Original post by wwwy

I think it’s just full
Original post by AcadWarriorA*
Yes, I was at their open day and I talked to the students and supervisors and I can confirm its nearly 90% e- learning (online self learning) the other 10% is mixed when 1 or 2 guest lectures and the f2f sessions you have in a group (not including a teacher).
They mentioned this course isn't for someone who cant individually revise material (ie. self learn) as there are little to no lectures/tutorial sessions. Hoped that helped.
thanks for sharing!
i didnt plan on going to imperial originally but applied since i had a free fifth space and got an offer. I'm considering imperial since i can stay at home and dont have to commute (money efficient) but i was hoping id make some friends at uni 🥲 was wondering, do you know what format the e-learning is, like online lectures or just notes?
also, how often roughly u have to go in for said lectures/f2f sessions?
tyy
Original post by Drugeifbwdbsoh
I think it’s just full
my parents just think its a case of accepting for international students over home students, but i have no clue
Original post by hauntied
my parents just think its a case of accepting for international students over home students, but i have no clue

I have news from students who’s studying in imperial. They told me that there’s too many Chinese students studying at imperial, so they’ve reduced acceptance of Chinese student last year, which they believe it reduce even more this year. (NOT 100% right) ASSUMPTION MADE BY STUDENTS AT IMPERIAL
I have received a reply from admissions.
They basically did not answer my question as to why i was rejected.

'Unfortunately, on this occasion, competition for places on the programme was extremely high and the Admissions Tutor felt that your application was not as strong as your peers. Your application was more geared for studying Medicine than Medical Biosciences. This meant that the motivation to study Medical Biosciences was not evident. We would suggest that you make your motivation to study Medical Biosciences more clear.

Please note that the Admissions cycle has now finished, and we will not be able to provide further feedback.'

For the record my application was geared towards Medical Biosciences and on multiple occasions I highlighted my intent to study it. I just believe that the volume of applications this year was too high and they had to reject all other students once spaces filled up despite how competitive the application was. Hope this response helps anyone ^^
Reply 150
Original post by hauntied
I have received a reply from admissions.
They basically did not answer my question as to why i was rejected.
'Unfortunately, on this occasion, competition for places on the programme was extremely high and the Admissions Tutor felt that your application was not as strong as your peers. Your application was more geared for studying Medicine than Medical Biosciences. This meant that the motivation to study Medical Biosciences was not evident. We would suggest that you make your motivation to study Medical Biosciences more clear.
Please note that the Admissions cycle has now finished, and we will not be able to provide further feedback.'
For the record my application was geared towards Medical Biosciences and on multiple occasions I highlighted my intent to study it. I just believe that the volume of applications this year was too high and they had to reject all other students once spaces filled up despite how competitive the application was. Hope this response helps anyone ^^
Thanks for your sharing.

Did you apply for biomed for your 4 other choices or you have applied for medicine for the other 4 choices?

Also it means there is no way to appeal for Imperial? Will you go to UCL or other G5?
Original post by aamina.hs
thanks for sharing!
i didnt plan on going to imperial originally but applied since i had a free fifth space and got an offer. I'm considering imperial since i can stay at home and dont have to commute (money efficient) but i was hoping id make some friends at uni 🥲 was wondering, do you know what format the e-learning is, like online lectures or just notes?
tyy
heyy I've also applied and got an offer for this course! (putting it as a firm) dm me and hopefully we can stay in touch (:
okay! :smile:
People don’t even do research on their uni got offers😭😓
Original post by aamina.hs
thanks for sharing!
tyy

Hey! Imperial medic here, I was curious about how applications were going this year so decided to check out this thread, I've got tons of friends doing BMB at Imperial and a decent chunk who live at home in London instead of accom for this reason.

IMO you will make the majority of your friends through societies and sports, not to mention BMB is a labwork heavy course so you'll be spending ample time with others on your course so I really wouldn't worry about making friends.

Also for attendance some lectures at random are given QR codes for attendance which you have to scan but normally someone will make a private snap story and share with most people in the year so that everyone can scan it at the right time so as long as you're keeping up with work it's pretty chill.

For med we get quite a lot of GOLs (guided online learnings) but they're pretty useless to study as there's already a medicine/BMB notebank which has decent notes on literally EVERYTHING so most of the time it's acc more effective to stay home and work, saving yourself the commute time but it's rlly personal preference.

Goodluck and hopefully see you next year!
Original post by OregonSquare
Hey! Imperial medic here, I was curious about how applications were going this year so decided to check out this thread, I've got tons of friends doing BMB at Imperial and a decent chunk who live at home in London instead of accom for this reason.
IMO you will make the majority of your friends through societies and sports, not to mention BMB is a labwork heavy course so you'll be spending ample time with others on your course so I really wouldn't worry about making friends.
Also for attendance some lectures at random are given QR codes for attendance which you have to scan but normally someone will make a private snap story and share with most people in the year so that everyone can scan it at the right time so as long as you're keeping up with work it's pretty chill.
For med we get quite a lot of GOLs (guided online learnings) but they're pretty useless to study as there's already a medicine/BMB notebank which has decent notes on literally EVERYTHING so most of the time it's acc more effective to stay home and work, saving yourself the commute time but it's rlly personal preference.
Goodluck and hopefully see you next year!

Hiii! Oh woww, how are your friends finding BMB? I've only been hearing bad reviews 🥲

Ohh I see, that's good to know, thank youu :smile:

I was going to delete snap after sixthform but not anymore ig haha. But it's good that you get to work at ur own pace. So, would you say most of the learning is through online notes? And also, sorry haha I have so many questions, but, how often roughly are the labs for BMB? I'm tryna figure out how often I would have to go in since i'd have to get the train.

Thank you so much, hope uni is going well for you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending