The Student Room Group

Cambridge MML Application Advice

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jakechoice
Hi, yeah so the written test is no longer on the same day as the interview because these days most interviews take place online. My written assessment was towards the end of November and my interview in early December. In terms of preparation I just did the practice papers, and then when I ran out, I did a couple using Guardian opinion articles haha. Most important is striking the balance between an intellifent response and writing accurately. Here's the ms: https://www.mmll.cam.ac.uk/sites/www.mmll.cam.ac.uk/files/mml_marking_criteria.pdf. I'd say it's pretty important, and defo an opportunity to show off your writing skills.

Did you have to do the written assessment online as well? I'm definitely going to start looking at the practice papers, because it's always good practice to be writing in the language whatever the circumstance.
Original post by Meerschweinchen7
Did you have to do the written assessment online as well? I'm definitely going to start looking at the practice papers, because it's always good practice to be writing in the language whatever the circumstance.

It's a bit fiddly but basically they email you the paper and you do it while being invigilated via zoom. You can print it out before you start so you can annotate. They prefer for you to write by hand I think. I'd be careful with doing the practice papers now; given that there are only four of them available, I'd wait until closer to the time. What you can do though is practise your essay technique and ability to convey complex and nuanced thoughts. But seriously, I wouldn't get worried about it now. I literally started preparing a month before and didn't do that much!
Is there any point in talking about the UKLO (Linguistics Olympiad) on my personal statement if I didn’t get a medal?

I was just a couple of points below the threshold for a bronze🥲
Original post by james__27
Is there any point in talking about the UKLO (Linguistics Olympiad) on my personal statement if I didn’t get a medal?
I was just a couple of points below the threshold for a bronze🥲
guessing the answer would be it is worth stating participation as the same PS will be used for all UCAS options
good luck with it all
Original post by Meerschweinchen7
Hi, I'm a Year 12 student currently looking to apply to Cambridge to study Modern and Medieval Languages, ideally French and German.
Currently I'm studying for five A Levels- German, French, English Lit-Lang, Music and Psychology. I'm predicted A*A*A*A* and then an A in French. I'm going to be taking German this year hopefully (I do it outside of my Sixth Form) and I only started French in September. At GCSE I got 9999888888.
I'm not sure which college I'm going to apply to yet, but I have looked at some of the undergrad application data online and seen that potentially Trinity has a slightly higher acceptance rate? I had it at 48.5% for my course, from 2013-2022, but I don't know how correctly I'm interpreting that, considering that some like Churchill had a 126.5% success rate; I'm assuming this is because not many people actually applied there and then more got pooled there or put there from an open application.
I do a fair amount of extra-curriculars, including DofE (I have Silver, doing Gold), school band, committee roles at my sixth form, and I'm going to be going on a charity trip to Africa this year as well. I play Piano to Grade 5 and Guitar, which I'm hoping to get to Grade 7 this year.
My school is a pretty run-of-the-mill state comprehensive, and usually there's only a handful of people each year that even think about applying for Oxbridge/similarly difficult unis.
I had a few questions, though, so if anyone could provide a bit of insight that'd be great.
Firstly, I've heard that sometimes Cambridge gives out offers based on four or even five A Levels, rather than just the usual three, even if they're unrelated. Is this a common thing? Because, frankly, if I'm going to be forced into a horrendous five A Level offer, then I might just opt out of Pyschology or Music or both, because ultimately they're largely irrelevant to what I want to do, and focus on my main three, which I know I am fully of the ability to get A*s in, and to potentially get a more lenient A*AA offer. Essentially I'm weighing up the costs and the benefits, because it is a lot of work doing all of these extra subjects that ultimately my heart isn't completely in, and I'm worried that I might not be able to dedicate the rest of my time to the subjects that really matter, especially German, since I do it outside of school and finding time for it is more of a challenge, and also in terms of wider reading and supercurriculars and whatnot.
Second question is more related to the MML course itself. I understand that I cannot take French ab initio, but that's fine because I'm doing it at A Level anyway. Ideally I should have German as my main. Problem is, would I still have to get an A* in French to do it because it's only post-A Level? Or would they accept my German at A* and then be more lenient with the French, just so long as I have the A Level and it meets the rest of the offer? Let's just assume I'm offered A*AA, and I get A* German, I'd assume that I'd only need to get an A in French? Or would it not matter at all and the rest of the grades could be in any of my subjects? I'm guessing that this is all highly subjective and individual, however.
And finally, if anyone has any advice on which colleges would be best for MML, any resources that are available for helping to prepare, or any advice whatsoever that you feel is relevant, I would really appreciate it. In short, I suppose I'm kind of wondering what other people would do in my situation! Especially if they have experience with the whole Cambridge application process.
Thanks a lot in advance!

It sounds like you're incredibly active and involved in a variety of pursuits! From participating in DofE and school band to taking on committee roles and engaging in charity work, you're certainly making the most of your time. Pursuing music through piano and guitar at such high levels demonstrates a commitment to both personal growth and artistic expression. Wishing you all the best as you continue to excel in your endeavors!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending