The Student Room Group

Where do I get enrichment for environmental science?

Hello I just started being a Year 12 and I am planning on doing environmental sciences in University and I am wondering where do i find enrichment for environmental science? It seems harder to find some compared to medicine, business and etc.
Thanks.
Original post by JimmyJackwagons
Hello I just started being a Year 12 and I am planning on doing environmental sciences in University and I am wondering where do i find enrichment for environmental science? It seems harder to find some compared to medicine, business and etc.
Thanks.

Hi @JimmyJackwagons,
I'm just about to go into my 3rd year studying Physical Geography at Lancaster. When I was looking at potential universities, I found the best place to start was the complete university guide, as it showed stats on student satisfaction and career prospects ect., which helped me to short list some universities to look at in more detail. I've linked the page for Geography and Environmental : science https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings/geography-and-environmental-science
When looking at some universities in more detail, I looked at the type of modules you could take on the course, and this helped me further shortlist universities based on the subject areas I was interested in, as some universities may have lots of research in a specific area which you may enjoy.
If you've got any questions about studying Environmental degrees at university, please feel free to ask
- Jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Original post by JimmyJackwagons
Thanks.

Hi,

If you are looking for enrichment in terms of extra curriculars, you can always look at online courses on websites such as Future Learn https://www.futurelearn.com/ to experience environmental science outside of your A-levels. For example, I did a short course on meteorology. If you are particularly interested in a topic you can always try reading a scientific article on the issue. Google scholar can be a useful starting point, or JSTOR if your sixth form/college has a subscription. Watching documentaries related to, for instance, climate change or volcanology is also a good way to explore the subject of environmental science in more depth.

You could also look for volunteering opportunities such as beach or river cleans, habitat restoration, or wildlife surveys. The national trust and the field studies council are good places to start in the UK. Other local charities may have opportunities to get involved.

Also, don't give up on looking for work experience opportunities. There's definitely less than for some other subjects, but you can make opportunities for yourself by getting in contact with organisations directly via email or an online form. Try contacting environmental/sustainability consultancies to see if they would let you shadow someone for a week, for instance. Some universities may also run environmental science taster days/events and attending these can help you get more of a flavour for the subject at degree level.

Hope this helps,
Becky (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending