The Student Room Group

Which offer should I accept?

Scroll to see replies

Lancaster does consistently well in all UK league tables but you decide to knock it. It is a fact that older universities in big cities do well in international tables but less well in domestic ones. This doesnt just apply to Bristol. Look at Queen Mary as another example. You feel CUG isnt reliable but then neither is the Times or the Guardian. The fact is all modern universities do badly in international rankings. What is reputation. How do you measure it. It is meaning less and doesnt say whether somebody will enjoy a particular course.

The fact is Bristol as a city has problems with a lack of accommodation for students. Not just Bristol but UWE too. People have a right to know the truth not your rose tinted version. Bristol was placing students in Newport before covid. It has also been placing students in Bath and its veterinary school miles out of the city.

Maybe you should read what I actually said instead of trying to defend Bristol.

How do you decide which table is right. Go on course and living environment not a silly ranking table that means nothing.
Bristol University offers students halls in Newport because it's run out of space
[start]Accommodation in Newport has been advertised on the University of Bristol [/start]

Newport Student Village is around 31 miles from Bristol University

Students due to start studying at Bristol University this month are being offered accommodation across the border in Wales.
An oversubscription for Bristol University's residences means some freshers have been offered accommodation in Newport instead.
The university's accommodation service has reminded new students that rooms are still available in Newport and Bristol's Veterinary School in Langford, North Somerset.
The university described Newport Student Village on Usk Way as a "commute and save" option for its students.The facility, built to accommodate students of the University of South Wales, is about 31 miles from the Bristol University campus and takes about 45 minutes to travel to by car.

This is taken from an article in 2019 before covid. Perhaps you might be better off studying the facts than trying to defend the indefensible.
Original post by Niti862
You are not helping me. Making it more difficult.
Help me picking the right one.

OP got to Bristol, on that article it said 25 students accepted the accomodation, people on TSR acting like you will definitely end in wales are misleading you. 99% of bristol students will end up in halls in bristol. The housing is expensive in bristol however so that may be a consideration. If bristol is best for your course and you like the city go for it.

If you are concerned about reputation, Durham is the best, followed by Bath/Bristol (edge to bath), Birmingham, Lancaster. that is generally how they would be seen in the UK but for the most part theyre all good universities and you cant really go too wrong.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by swanseajack1
Lancaster does consistently well in all UK league tables but you decide to knock it. It is a fact that older universities in big cities do well in international tables but less well in domestic ones. This doesnt just apply to Bristol. Look at Queen Mary as another example. You feel CUG isnt reliable but then neither is the Times or the Guardian. The fact is all modern universities do badly in international rankings. What is reputation. How do you measure it. It is meaning less and doesnt say whether somebody will enjoy a particular course.

The fact is Bristol as a city has problems with a lack of accommodation for students. Not just Bristol but UWE too. People have a right to know the truth not your rose tinted version. Bristol was placing students in Newport before covid. It has also been placing students in Bath and its veterinary school miles out of the city.

Maybe you should read what I actually said instead of trying to defend Bristol.

How do you decide which table is right. Go on course and living environment not a silly ranking table that means nothing.

I am sure Lancaster is a good university but OP has indicated reputation matters and to most employers, Lancaster would be the least impressive of these universities, but probably not by a lot. I dont mean to be rude and hsould have rephrased it.

I read the article and it said 25 students accepted offers so I doubt the number was signifcant, people acting like OP will end in wales are misleading them. But yes bristol does have a housing issue, so mention that instead of pasting an article acting as if OP will end in wales when for 99% of bristol freshers end up in halls in bristol. Langley is the vet school and it has always been out of bristol, much like how othe runiversities have campus in different locations

I agree rankings arent everything at all and between these universites the difference is not huge, but generally most would agree lancaster is the weakest of them, its the least competitive and has the lowest entry tariff, it is fair to say the average student at durham or bristol will likely be more competitive candidates with better grades. Lancaster only does well because of student satisfaction when it comes to repuation, competition and grades matter and for those metrics lancaster is the weakest of these universities. Also OP has said Bristol is best for their course.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by powertraits123
OP got to Bristol, on that article it said 25 students accepted the accomodation, people on TSR acting like you will definitely end in wales are misleading you. 99% of bristol students will end up in halls in bristol. The housing is expensive in bristol however so that may be a consideration. If bristol is best for your course and you like the city go for it. Also ignore Muttley, theyre notoriously biased against bristol

Newport is only part of the problem. They have been using Bath and the veterinary college 15 miles away as well. Your all right jack i am ok isnt of any use to those who get moved out. Students need to be aware of the risks involved. Even in halls in Bristol many have to bus in.

Relying on any ranking table is foolish but the international tables are less reliable. It is no coincidence that big city universities in London, Bristol, of state Manchester and Sheffield do so well yet arent doing as well in UK rankings. This has gone on for years.

Bristol has one of the lowest percentages of state students. Because of the large number of privately educated students they are able to ask for higher grades. This is why they were amongst the first universities to offer contextual offers based on schooling. Part of the reason Bristol, Exeter and Bath have high levels of private students is the number of private schools in the west country.

Bristol has approx 60% of its students from state schools compared to Lancasters 90%. Lancaster suffers from being so far North and few private school students travel that North. Similarly Exeter has difficulty filling Penryn because it is so far west and somewhere like Aberystwyth has similar problems. Looking at things the way you do isnt facing the truth.

As far as subject tables being more accurate than general ones that again is totally false. The numbers taking part in subject surveys is very small and far more likely to be influenced by a small number of very happy or unhappy students.
Newport is only part of the problem. They have been using Bath and the veterinary college 15 miles away as well. Your all right jack i am ok isnt of any use to those who get moved out. Students need to be aware of the risks involved. Even in halls in Bristol many have to bus in.

Relying on any ranking table is foolish but the international tables are less reliable. It is no coincidence that big city universities in London, Bristol, of state Manchester and Sheffield do so well yet arent doing as well in UK rankings. This has gone on for years.

Bristol has one of the lowest percentages of state students. Because of the large number of privately educated students they are able to ask for higher grades. This is why they were amongst the first universities to offer contextual offers based on schooling. Part of the reason Bristol, Exeter and Bath have high levels of private students is the number of private schools in the west country.

Bristol has approx 60% of its students from state schools compared to Lancasters 90%. Lancaster suffers from being so far North and few private school students travel that North. Similarly Exeter has difficulty filling Penryn because it is so far west and somewhere like Aberystwyth has similar problems. Looking at things the way you do isnt facing the truth.

As far as subject tables being more accurate than general ones that again is totally false. The numbers taking part in subject surveys is very small and far more likely to be influenced by a small number of very happy or unhappy students.

I guess informing op of risks is important and bristol is notorious for it high rental cost and housing shortages, but scaring them by mentioning the tiniest possibility they end up in wales is misleading. The international rankings rely on research and like research reputation so they are skewed but national rankings are equally skewed by student satisfaction, KCL being mid 20s in the UK for example is totally inaccurate. The same way we see loughboroguh being ranked above UCL or warwick. I agree there is a bias for private school students allowing unis to ask for higher grades but that alone doesnt affect reptuation, warwick has a lower intake of private school students and is better than Exeter or bristol by reputation.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 26
Sadly almost all posters on here have their own biases about these unis.Best to visit and make up your own mind.Different courses at different unis have better reputations..
I guess informing op of risks is important and bristol is notorious for it high rental cost and housing shortages, but scaring them by mentioning the tiniest possibility they end up in wales is misleading. The international rankings rely on research and like research reputation so they are skewed but national rankings are equally skewed by student satisfaction, KCL being mid 20s in the UK for example is totally inaccurate. The same way we see loughboroguh being ranked above UCL or warwick. I agree there is a bias for private school students allowing unis to ask for higher grades but that alone doesnt affect reptuation, warwick has a lower intake of private school students and is better than Exeter or bristol by reputation.

Reputation is absolutely meaningless. It doesnt prove anything and doesnt mean you are more likely to get jobs or will enjoy the course more. The difference between the top 20 or so universities is negligeable. The problem is people like you dont live in the real world and fall for such things. As far as Warwick is concerned it has a reputation for Maths and Economics but not much outside. It is no better than the others you mention. Loughborough has a reputation for Sports and Engineering. It means nothing though.

The question with UCL and Kings is why do they consistently rank lower. It is probably because of the unhappiness of students studying in London. Just because a university has a so called reputation doesnt mean it is better than elsewhere,

As far as people being accommodated outside Bristol it is fine to ignore it if it doesnt affect you but others arent do lucky. As I said previously some of the halls in Bristol are still a bus ride away.
Reputation is absolutely meaningless. It doesnt prove anything and doesnt mean you are more likely to get jobs or will enjoy the course more. The difference between the top 20 or so universities is negligeable. The problem is people like you dont live in the real world and fall for such things. As far as Warwick is concerned it has a reputation for Maths and Economics but not much outside. It is no better than the others you mention. Loughborough has a reputation for Sports and Engineering. It means nothing though.

The question with UCL and Kings is why do they consistently rank lower. It is probably because of the unhappiness of students studying in London. Just because a university has a so called reputation doesnt mean it is better than elsewhere,

As far as people being accommodated outside Bristol it is fine to ignore it if it doesnt affect you but others arent do lucky. As I said previously some of the halls in Bristol are still a bus ride away.

Up to 300 University of Bristol students could be housed in Bath due to a "particularly high demand" for accommodation this year.
The university said there had been a significant rise in applicants meeting the terms of their offer.
Students said it would mean missing out on important parts of university life.
"It isolates students and stops them from really learning about the city, the campus, in their first year," said literature student Anna Lart Greene.
Bath is around 13 miles (20.9 km) away from Bristol. Two years ago students were housed in Newport, Wales, 30 miles (48 km) from the Bristol campus
Up to 300 University of Bristol students could be housed in Bath due to a "particularly high demand" for accommodation this year.
The university said there had been a significant rise in applicants meeting the terms of their offer.
Students said it would mean missing out on important parts of university life.
"It isolates students and stops them from really learning about the city, the campus, in their first year," said literature student Anna Lart Greene.
Bath is around 13 miles (20.9 km) away from Bristol. Two years ago students were housed in Newport, Wales, 30 miles (48 km) from the Bristol campus

Wow ok that is ridiculous my apologies, to be honest bristol for years has been expanding too agrressively, i saw something that in the 2000s there were like 10-15k students at bristol uni and now its nearly double that. This also coincides with them loosing student satisfaction and slipping down the rankings
Wow ok that is ridiculous my apologies, to be honest bristol for years has been expanding too agrressively, i saw something that in the 2000s there were like 10-15k students at bristol uni and now its nearly double that. This also coincides with them loosing student satisfaction and slipping down the rankings

They know the number of student accommodation they have and should be just taking that number not taking as many as they can without any care for students. Newport really isnt a good student place. An ex work colleague of mine was brought up in Newport, went to university in Cardiff and has lived for years in Swansea. He used to tell me how rough Newport was. Much worse than Swansea which has its fair share of problems.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending