The Student Room Group

Too anxious to attend practical classes, unsure of what to do

(Sorry about the title, I didn't know how to make it concise)

I took a science course as one of my electives this year. Today I had a class in the lab. I'm a humanities student so I've no experience with this kind of thing. It was very scary. I was late because the building is very far away from where I live. The room was very big and there were a lot of people. The lighting was making me feel uneasy, and I didn't realise that I'd have to wear a labcoat, which I really don't want to do because they don't look comfortable to wear and I'm worried about my body looking weird in them (I would need to check in a mirror to know if it was ok). There's also just something very unpleasant about wearing a communal garment, even if it is washed and stuff. It also seems like everyone in that class already knows each other, which is really daunting because I struggle a lot with meeting new people. I'm older than most UG students because I started uni late + then had to take time off due to mental health. I am always scared people think I'm weird/repugnant and I find it difficult to speak to strangers (I usually just nod/point etc).

I was feeling myself getting overstimulated, and I was getting very hot and I was shaking. So I just ran away and went home crying. I feel very stupid for doing that, and I know a lot of people will read all of this and think I'm pathetic/making a mountain out of a mole hill, but I know if I had sat down and gone ahead with the lesson I would've been crying while sitting at a desk in a brightly lit room full of complete strangers, which would've been really horrible.

The easiest thing to do would be to just switch to some humanities course and try my best not to write crappy essays. I am a little concerned about doing 3 subjects in one semester that require me to write essays, though, because that is a really big workload and it's already difficult enough to manage just my degree course with my attention issues. I also really enjoy this subject, it's one of my special interests so it's sad that I have to drop it. If this course was just theory and no practical I'd be fine.

Another annoying thing is if I switch to a different course and have the same problems, or have workload problems, then I'm just screwed and have to put up with it for the semester, and I'm not allowed to change courses again. It's all very unfair. I have until the end of next week to make a decision, anyway.

Has anyone else had this experience? Also, are there any humanities/social sciences courses that yous would recommend? I'm not really sure what I should choose, or if another social science is even a good idea given the workload problem. I will definitely speak to someone at uni but I thought I would make a post here too because responses will probably be quicker + I'm feeling a bit lonely.
Are you being treated for your anxiety?
Do you have any additional medication that you can take for particularly stressful or new situations?
Hi,
I was wondering if you were neurodivergent in any way as the way you are explaining the lab is quite similar to sensory overload for autistic people
Original post by Anonymous #1

I took a science course as one of my electives this year. Today I had a class in the lab. I'm a humanities student so I've no experience with this kind of thing. It was very scary. I was late because the building is very far away from where I live. The room was very big and there were a lot of people. The lighting was making me feel uneasy, and I didn't realise that I'd have to wear a labcoat, which I really don't want to do because they don't look comfortable to wear and I'm worried about my body looking weird in them (I would need to check in a mirror to know if it was ok). There's also just something very unpleasant about wearing a communal garment, even if it is washed and stuff. It also seems like everyone in that class already knows each other, which is really daunting because I struggle a lot with meeting new people. I'm older than most UG students because I started uni late + then had to take time off due to mental health. I am always scared people think I'm weird/repugnant and I find it difficult to speak to strangers (I usually just nod/point etc).

I was feeling myself getting overstimulated, and I was getting very hot and I was shaking. So I just ran away and went home crying. I feel very stupid for doing that, and I know a lot of people will read all of this and think I'm pathetic/making a mountain out of a mole hill, but I know if I had sat down and gone ahead with the lesson I would've been crying while sitting at a desk in a brightly lit room full of complete strangers, which would've been really horrible.

The easiest thing to do would be to just switch to some humanities course and try my best not to write crappy essays. I am a little concerned about doing 3 subjects in one semester that require me to write essays, though, because that is a really big workload and it's already difficult enough to manage just my degree course with my attention issues. I also really enjoy this subject, it's one of my special interests so it's sad that I have to drop it. If this course was just theory and no practical I'd be fine.

Another annoying thing is if I switch to a different course and have the same problems, or have workload problems, then I'm just screwed and have to put up with it for the semester, and I'm not allowed to change courses again. It's all very unfair. I have until the end of next week to make a decision, anyway.

Has anyone else had this experience? Also, are there any humanities/social sciences courses that yous would recommend? I'm not really sure what I should choose, or if another social science is even a good idea given the workload problem. I will definitely speak to someone at uni but I thought I would make a post here too because responses will probably be quicker + I'm feeling a bit lonely.

Anon,

I think you need to talk to your personal tutor and need to have a chat with your lecturers, so that they can understand and think about how they can best support you.

I don't think you should feel as if you can't do the courses that you would like, but if the university can't put in measures or if the measures don't do enough to help you feel relaxed, then you may need to think about other options.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous #3
Hi,
I was wondering if you were neurodivergent in any way as the way you are explaining the lab is quite similar to sensory overload for autistic people

I proably am, but was never diagnosed as a child. Things have gotten more and more difficult as I've got older. I'm still waiting to see a diagnostic team, but they won't tell me how much longer the wait will be.
I would start speaking to your uni's disability/health & wellbeing team as well as your personal tutor about your symptoms and that you're waiting on a diagnosis, and see if they can start making reasonable adjustments.
Reply 6
Original post by University of Huddersfield
Anon,

I think you need to talk to your personal tutor and need to have a chat with your lecturers, so that they can understand and think about how they can best support you.

I don't think you should feel as if you can't do the courses that you would like, but if the university can't put in measures or if the measures don't do enough to help you feel relaxed, then you may need to think about other options.

All the best,

They scrapped the personal tutors at my uni. I was really sad when that happened, my PT seemed to empathise with me quite a lot, and always did their best to help me. The replacement system (student support) is ok, but I feel like the people there don't really understand, or aren't afforded enough power to really meaningfully help anyone. They also have a lot less availability than PTs did, because it's fewer staff catering to more students.

I feel as though I have to deal with everything all by myself, even if all the staff are like "We're happy to help with whatever problem you have :smile:". Cuz like, that's kinda a lie. There are lots of things that could help but they won't do it, because it's against the rules or "that's not how it works" or "if we let you do that, then everyone would be asking to do that too, and we can't be having that, can we?" It sorta feels like they don't actually really want me here. It feels very lonely.

The only measure I can think of that would work would be like... not having to do practicals. Which obviously isn't an option lol. And they give me such little time to decide what courses I want to do and am able to do. Deadline is end of the week starting on the 22nd. Uni is so inflexible, it's infuriating.

I'm struggling with a lot more than just anxiety and sensory issues, tbh. I can barely look after myself, and completing assignments is an uphill battle which leaves me tired and depressed (especially when I get the marks back and see that all the misery was for nothing). I definitely haven't passed any of my courses from last semester. I also keep missing appointments and stuff like that. I'm kinda going thru hell lol. But there isn't really much help for people who don't have anything diagnosed. I thought maybe I could find a course this semester that would work for me, but there doesn't seem to be a "perfect" course for me. I am wondering if I should drop out, because maybe I'm just too mentally disabled for education/work.

I’d suggest u don’t quit this class just yet, try going again but this time have a plan for avoiding the overstimulation. Like arrive 10 minutes early, do some breathing exercises/ play relaxing music before you enter. Also maybe buy your own lab coat in the perfect size and wear that to the class (I’m sure the teacher won’t mind this)
Reply 8
Original post by undefined
I’d suggest u don’t quit this class just yet, try going again but this time have a plan for avoiding the overstimulation. Like arrive 10 minutes early, do some breathing exercises/ play relaxing music before you enter. Also maybe buy your own lab coat in the perfect size and wear that to the class (I’m sure the teacher won’t mind this)

That's a really good idea, and I was thinking of doing that. The only problem is the practical is on the day of the course change deadline. So I would need to make my mind up very quickly!
They scrapped the personal tutors at my uni. I was really sad when that happened, my PT seemed to empathise with me quite a lot, and always did their best to help me. The replacement system (student support) is ok, but I feel like the people there don't really understand, or aren't afforded enough power to really meaningfully help anyone. They also have a lot less availability than PTs did, because it's fewer staff catering to more students.

I feel as though I have to deal with everything all by myself, even if all the staff are like "We're happy to help with whatever problem you have :smile:". Cuz like, that's kinda a lie. There are lots of things that could help but they won't do it, because it's against the rules or "that's not how it works" or "if we let you do that, then everyone would be asking to do that too, and we can't be having that, can we?" It sorta feels like they don't actually really want me here. It feels very lonely.

The only measure I can think of that would work would be like... not having to do practicals. Which obviously isn't an option lol. And they give me such little time to decide what courses I want to do and am able to do. Deadline is end of the week starting on the 22nd. Uni is so inflexible, it's infuriating.

I'm struggling with a lot more than just anxiety and sensory issues, tbh. I can barely look after myself, and completing assignments is an uphill battle which leaves me tired and depressed (especially when I get the marks back and see that all the misery was for nothing). I definitely haven't passed any of my courses from last semester. I also keep missing appointments and stuff like that. I'm kinda going thru hell lol. But there isn't really much help for people who don't have anything diagnosed. I thought maybe I could find a course this semester that would work for me, but there doesn't seem to be a "perfect" course for me. I am wondering if I should drop out, because maybe I'm just too mentally disabled for education/work.

Anon,

Even if you no longer have a personal tutor, perhaps you can still speak to a lecturer about some of the issues you are facing. They might be able to help you get the support you need. It's okay to ask for support and help (remember you're investing a lot of time and money into this degree!), so do persist in getting the help you need to thrive at uni. Perhaps your uni has a neurodivergent support team?

Perhaps there are other labs where the lighting is different? I think you should talk to the module leader and explain your situation and see what can be done. If nothing can be done, at least you know you tried.

It's true that sometimes people can say things and not be sincere. The classic example is 'How are you?' with the reply I'm fine." when it's not true. If a few more questions were asked the 'I'm fine' would quickly unravel to 'I'm stressed out!' So it's true, politeness and saying the right thing does not always equate to honesty and sincerity, but I am sure that there are some people who genuinely want to help, and will help!

Are you struggling to look after yourself due to financial pressures? If so, do talk to the university finance team or your SU to see what help is available. If everything has got a bit much, you might need some time to stop thinking about assignments and to just focus on looking after yourself. You could take the weekend off and just focus on eating well, sleeping well and enjoying some of your favourite hobbies. It's important to look after yourself when stress builds, even if it's just trying to get a set amount of hours sleep a night or maintaining fruit and veg in your diet.

It sounds like you're willing to put the work in for your assignments, so it must be frustrating when you feel like the marks are not as high as you would like. Do read the feedback and ask your lecturers on anything that's not clear. It might also be worthwhile to check the marking criteria/learning outcomes.

It is easy to get discouraged but with the right help and support, you can study whatever course you want!

Don't lose hope,

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear you have been having a tough time. I read that you no longer have a personal tutor at your university but you could still try speaking to your class tutors/course or module leaders as they may able to suggest things to you which may help you.

It is also worth talking to your universities wellbeing team as there is usually a team of people whose job it is to look after student's well being and mental health so they may be able to offer you some support or be able to talk to your tutors for you if you don't want to do this yourself.

Also talking to your doctor may be a good idea too as they may also be able to offer you some support.

I hope some of this helps and hope things start to improve for you.

Lucy - SHU student ambassador.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending