The Student Room Group

Changing uni to start from scratch at year 1

I have been at my uni (1st year undergraduate) since september and I have decided I dont like the course or the uni. Should I ask for references from my high school or the uni becasue I don't have much of a relationship yet with the professors at uni as I haven't been here for long so it could potentially mean worse references
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by mayyolcu
I have been at my uni (1st year undergraduate) since september and I have decided I dont like the course or the uni. Should I ask for references from my high school or the uni becasue I don't have much of a relationship yet with the professors at uni as I haven't been here for long so it could potentially mean worse references

Hi @mayyolcu

I am sorry to hear you have not had a good experience at your university.

You could ask both.

If you can get a reference from high school, that would be great, as sometimes you have to have known the referee for a few years.

University lecturers have to complete references all the time, so they usually have a pretty standard template. It is very unlikely they would give you a bad/worse reference. It might be difficult for them to make it more personalised, but they will still be happy to provide you with one. Unless there are significant issues such as bad attendance or lack of engagement, in that case, it might be worth just asking your high school!

Hope this helps, and good luck with your application!

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending