The Student Room Group

SFE Maintenance Loan for re-sitting a semester

Hello,

I understand that I am entitled to a maintenance loan regardless of the fact that I am only studying for one semester this academic year as it is a re-sit. I am concerned that I am being paid too much though. I re-sat semester one (September-December 2023) and received a maintenance instalment in October. I’m due to receive my next instalments at the end of January and in April. Is this correct even though I’m technically not studying now until this September since I completed my semester re-sit? I don’t want to be paid too much, spend it on rent and then receive a letter in a few months time being told I was overpaid and that I now owe SFE a large sum. Am I safe to use it on rent or is it likely an error has been made?

I rung SFE a couple months ago regarding this and they said they can only do what the uni tells them so they couldn’t tell me if there was a mistake. I emailed the uni a few times and never heard back.

My current maintenance amount is just under a £1000 less than what im usually entitled too which makes me think this is correct but its the fact that im still being sent it during the second semester even though im technically not studying at the moment?
Original post by Livm3g2109
Hello,

I understand that I am entitled to a maintenance loan regardless of the fact that I am only studying for one semester this academic year as it is a re-sit. I am concerned that I am being paid too much though. I re-sat semester one (September-December 2023) and received a maintenance instalment in October. I’m due to receive my next instalments at the end of January and in April. Is this correct even though I’m technically not studying now until this September since I completed my semester re-sit? I don’t want to be paid too much, spend it on rent and then receive a letter in a few months time being told I was overpaid and that I now owe SFE a large sum. Am I safe to use it on rent or is it likely an error has been made?

I rung SFE a couple months ago regarding this and they said they can only do what the uni tells them so they couldn’t tell me if there was a mistake. I emailed the uni a few times and never heard back.

My current maintenance amount is just under a £1000 less than what im usually entitled too which makes me think this is correct but its the fact that im still being sent it during the second semester even though im technically not studying at the moment?

Hi there,

By the sounds of it your application is approved for a full Academic Year and not just your resit for the individual term. For this, your university would need to send a 'Repetition Change of Circumstances' to us with your term dates for the repeat and we would then reassess the application accordingly to ensure you are paid correctly. I would advise to not spend any of the funding, this is just in case you have been overpaid and you can repay it so your future funding is not affected.
Thanks, Ross

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending