Reply 80

i see, quite impressive :jiggy:
Reply 81
His website made my laptop crash. Grr.
Reply 82
i think im going to set up my own business hmm
squid
Not really.
I knew a 12 year old (I built the site for him) who had a site ranked ~10,000 by alexa.

You seem to know about this stuff. How much does it cost to have someone make a decent site for you?
squid
Depends on what you want and the quality. Tell me what sort of thing you'd want and I could give you an estimate of what you'd be charged, depending on who. If you're happy to go with a "Freelance developer" you'd pay considerably less than a proper company. But yeah, depends on what you want.

Hmm, let's use his site as an example. It didn't look that great. How much would we be talking for a similar thing but with a more quality feel to it, idk, something like Play.com's layout? I guess you're talking quite a lot for that, no?
Reply 85
squid
I'll join you :wink:
Seriously though, setting up a business would be genius, just need a good idea and a USP.

i know :biggrin: i have a unique name in mind...
Reply 86
It doesn't tell us anything about costs.. you can have high turnover but if you also have high costs then it's not as amazing as it seems.

Regardless, well done to him on getting this far.
Reply 87
the info is taken from the Sun newspaper, it is therefore probably wrong. More likely his dad owns the business and he works part-time getting £500 for the work he does. Or he does own it but makes £30K a year.

Sun is full of utter rubbish, believe with caution.
Reply 88
squid
k, and the idea? :biggrin:
"toms sexy boys"?

i cant tell you that :grin:

it may or may not be :ninja:
Reply 89
squid
Depends on what you want and the quality. Tell me what sort of thing you'd want and I could give you an estimate of what you'd be charged, depending on who. If you're happy to go with a "Freelance developer" you'd pay considerably less than a proper company. But yeah, depends on what you want.

A low key shopping website would set you back around £5-10k and a few months to develop, assuming you'd have to start from scratch and develop security features, online purchasing, user interface etc

Judging by the website, he probably did it himself, a few hours each night, looks really buggy and unprofessional, not to mention the prices are just nasty - £75 for a 16GB sd card?!?!
Reply 90
yosrush
the prices are just nasty - £75 for a 16GB sd card?!?!

and a tenner for a 256mb one :angry:
Reply 91
squid
He didn't make the site, it's ran using cubecart. $150 license. Also, no way on earth would a shopping site cost you £10k to develop. Give me 1 month and £500 and I'd have one done that worked perfectly. You'd only pay £10k if you went to some high end consultant.

how did he get money to purchase his stock though?
yosrush
A low key shopping website would set you back around £5-10k and a few months to develop, assuming you'd have to start from scratch and develop security features, online purchasing, user interface etc

And a site of that calibre, how much would it cost to run, just the site itself I mean? Does it depend on the traffic you get, like higher traffic = higher running costs?
squid
http://gcspcs.co.uk/store/index.php

His site, for anyone interested.

What a rubbish website.>.<
Reply 94
squid
If you read some other stories about him, he sold some stuff in school a made a bit of profit. Presumably he used some of that? But, to be honest, I think he was funded by his parents.

i see...
Reply 95
SuicideCommando
What a rubbish website.>.<

******* awful
Reply 96
squid
I'll join you :wink:
Seriously though, setting up a business would be genius, just need a good idea and a USP.

I have one :proud: better, more unique and profitable than phones and electronics too, just need to actually stop being lazy and set it up :biggrin:
Reply 97
tom//
how did he get money to purchase his stock though?

i wouldn't be surprised if he dropships it
-=/-\=-
IIt's a wise move. Otherwise he will get raped by taxes.

lol, first of all he is 16, he doesn't have to pay taxes, but lets just say he did, would you rather have £500 a month paying 17.5% in taxes, or 30k a month paying 40% in taxes..

The reason why he is paying himself £500 a month is because he isn't getting 30k in profits, he is getting 30k in revenue, around 10% of which is profit.
squid
Depends, you could run a small site for ~£5 a month, if your site got amazingly popular (20,000 unique visitors a day) you'd probably want to look at moving to a dedicated server, that'd cost around £50 a month. Then there's also the script you'd be running depends on that.

If you wanted similar to what this guy is running, it'd cost you ~£10 a month to host, + whatever license he pays for the shopping cart.

Oh that's not too bad at all then. So how would this normally work.. someone would have the website created first and then you pay someone to host it or something? Or do you buy the domain first presumably, from a website like this?

I've had an idea for some time, I just don't know how to use the internet :no:

Latest

Trending

Trending