The Student Room Group

Masters application - explaining poor grades for a year during undergrad?

Hi! I graduated back in 2019, and am now looking to pursue a masters degree.

My original degree was Linguistics MA Hons (Scottish masters) at Edinburgh University. The course I am applying for is Software Development MSc offered by Glasgow University - this is a conversion masters for students without a computer science background.

I have a concern with my application - during my third year of study, I had severe depression due to a sexual assault and my grades that year were mostly Cs and Ds. Unfortunately, this was also the year I happened to take some modules in programming for language software, which are the only courses I took during my degree which are directly relevant to the discipline the masters is in. I got my mental health back on track for 4th year, achieving As and Bs all year and ultimately graduating with a 2:1.

My question is, in my personal statement, how do I explain my poor grades in the modules related to programming without it seeming as though I am not suited for a course in this discipline? I don't want to give too much detail/a sob story about what happened to me for several reasons, but I also don't want to be vague enough that they don't take it into consideration if they have concerns about those grades.

Any advice welcomed :smile:
Original post by Beao

My original degree was Linguistics MA Hons (Scottish masters) at Edinburgh University. The course I am applying for is Software Development MSc offered by Glasgow University - this is a conversion masters for students without a computer science background.

I have a concern with my application - during my third year of study, I had severe depression due to a sexual assault and my grades that year were mostly Cs and Ds. Unfortunately, this was also the year I happened to take some modules in programming for language software, which are the only courses I took during my degree which are directly relevant to the discipline the masters is in. I got my mental health back on track for 4th year, achieving As and Bs all year and ultimately graduating with a 2:1.

My question is, in my personal statement, how do I explain my poor grades in the modules related to programming without it seeming as though I am not suited for a course in this discipline? I don't want to give too much detail/a sob story about what happened to me for several reasons, but I also don't want to be vague enough that they don't take it into consideration if they have concerns about those grades.

Hello 👋🏻

First of all I am sorry to hear about your experience. It must have been so difficult and you should be so proud of the result you have achieved. You did amazing! Be proud of yourself for pushing through despite everything! 🤗

I had a similar experience. I became very ill in my third year and did not get the grades I wanted. I ended up with a 2:1 overall to due to this. In my masters applications I explained that due to unforeseen circumstances I achieved lower than I was predicted. I just mentioned that I had a difficult time but pushed through anyway and I span the negative into a positive which shows my resilience. I focused on the idea that despite the hardship, I pushed through and showed resilience and determination. 😃

I hope this helps and I hope everything is much better for you now!

Hannah 🐄
DMU Student Rep
Msc Psychological Wellbeing 🧠
Original post by Beao

Hi,
Sorry to hear about your experiences during your undergraduate degree.
Most universities will be understanding of this if you have a way of being able to explain to them and if you pick a lecturer from your time in your undergraduate degree as a reference, they should be able to explain what you're like to teach.
If you're worried at any point that this may not be the case, ask to speak to the admissions team of the university or a lecturer of the course themselves. Most of the time people just need to be made aware of the circumstances.
I hope this helps,
Best of luck,
Meg 🙂
MA Popular Music Student.
Reply 3
Have you had a response? I got an offer today and was worried about repeat years on my transcript.
(edited 2 weeks ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending