The Student Room Group

Motivation for studying

This might sound like a very stupid thing, but recently I don’t feel motivated to anything at all. Especially this academic year after I got into an ideal secondary school. I’ve been having really bad sleep schedule and have been doing the minimum amount of work.

I’ve got GCSE in roughly two years and deep down I know I really have to work hard especially when my family have very high expectations. I did some research and most of them aren’t quite helpful, cuz for some reason I just don’t feel as motivated as I use to.

I’m wondering if anyone has had similar experience and can share how they managed to get that motivation back.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous #1
This might sound like a very stupid thing, but recently I don’t feel motivated to anything at all. Especially this academic year after I got into an ideal secondary school. I’ve been having really bad sleep schedule and have been doing the minimum amount of work.

I’ve got GCSE in roughly two years and deep down I know I really have to work hard especially when my family have very high expectations. I did some research and most of them aren’t quite helpful, cuz for some reason I just don’t feel as motivated as I use to.

I’m wondering if anyone has had similar experience and can share how they managed to get that motivation back.

p.s. even before exam I don’t feel stress enough to revise. Instead I’m stressing for not being stressed at all ( it’s not the good type of relax as I haven’t studied at all)

Hopefully this all make sense
Reply 2
Here are some motivational quotes that can help you https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7437308

i'd start small, set a half hour every night where you have to revise. So let's say as soon as you are home from school from 3:30-4:00 you do 30 mins biology notes, or 30 mins readng your english lit book etc.

Hi Anon,

First of all, this does not sound stupid whatsoever and experiencing lack of motivation is very common for tons of students regardless of their age and where they are in their academic journey. You find that it gets much more difficult to feel motivated during this time of the year because of the weather and the shorter daylight hours. Trust me, I'm guilty of it too. I think it's important to acknowledge that the way you're feeling is very valid and it's normal for you to feel this way. This way, it'll be easier for you to work on a solution now that you've normalised how you're feeling, and that it's natural.

One thing that's helped me when I felt this way was to "space out my learning". Studying in short bursts. With zero distractions I would do my revision for an hour straight, then take a break afterward. I would get back to it at a different time in the day. Sometimes, an hour or two does feel insufficient, but I do feel content knowing I did a bit of something than nothing at all. By breaking down my studying into chunks, revision feels more manageable and less overwhelming.

Oftentimes, the idea of doing something is a lot more daunting than the actual task itself.

Please don't be too hard on yourself :smile:
Danish
BCU Student Rep

Hi :smile: first of all I'm sorry to hear that you're finding it difficult at the moment. I think if you start looking after yourself first and addressing your worries, then you'll find that academic things seem easier. I think little goals like trying to go to bed even half an hour earlier would be good! I know gcse's are worrying, but it sounds like you're a little overwhelmed by the thought of them. Congratulate yourself for getting your work done, rather than punishing yourself for it only being the 'minimum'. You have so much time to get yourself where you want to be, and saying that to yourself will help. Study with friends, allow yourself grace and be patient. You've got this!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending