The Student Room Group

Former GCSE student achieved all grades 7-9s. Ask me anything.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Jijithe
What do u recommend as study material for gcse science specification papers.

Hi,

. You can use the online website PhysicsMathsTutor. This contains past paper questions organized by topic, summary notes, flashcards. Try as many as you can, before topic tests, after you learn content, etc. This will prepare you for the real paper when it comes.

. Try CGP exam practice workbooks, revision guides, and target workbooks (that target certain grades e.g Target Grade 9 Chemistry Workbook).

. Use Seneca and Quizlet to practice active recall/learn content.
Reply 21
Original post by kitty15
. For writing:
. I would use flashcard apps like Quizlet, to bookmark and find phrases that you feel you will be able to use in the writing exam. There are lots of ones out there on Quizlet on ‘grade 9 phrases’ Make sure to practice writing these down, at least four times, using the look, cover, write, check method.
. For grade 9, it’s best to focus on:
. Connectives (e.g ones like ‘not only but also’ and ‘in addition’, ‘in case’, ‘for example’, etc.) Make sure you feel comfortable writing these.
. Look up any Chinese idioms. These are quite difficult to use, but if you do so they are very fancy-sounding. Look some up on the Internet, I’m sure you can apply them in your writing.
. Write down model answers. But don’t make these too specific. Take a few broad topics (e.g school, hobbies, environment) and write as much as you can about those. Then be analytical about your model answers, compare with the mark scheme, and maybe perfect them and try using some aspects of them in past papers.

Speaking:
. Try listening to/watching the YouTube channel Easy Mandarin. This is a YouTube channel which interviews members of the public on the streets, about topics such as food, environment, media, etc. This way you can get a feel of how you can be answering questions.
. Do practice the photo card regularly. Use mnemonic to help you remember what you should mention - PALMS (People, Action, Location, Mood, Season/Weather).
. Try this resource https://ci.ioe.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/GCSE.OTH_.gcse-speaking-practice-sheet.AL_.Fang-Xiao.EXM_.SG_.MEP10pdf.pdf

Anyways, I hope this helps. Sorry if I cannot be any more helpful on the speaking, I am mixed British and Chinese, so speaking mandarin comes more naturally to me.

Thank you! This really helps. I do already speak mandarin but I really want a good grade and my speaking isnt that good so your tips will really help me :biggrin:
Original post by kitty15
Hi,
I went from foundation to higher maths. I used to not be a perfect maths student, I used to only get grade 4 in maths. So yes of course it is possible to go up a few grades, even if you are in Year 12!

First of all, here are some online resources I would recommend:
. The GCSE maths tutor (YouTube channel). Especially try his ‘crossover’ playlist designed for students changing from foundation to higher maths.
. MathsGenie (for past papers, questions by topic)
. Mitchell Dye YouTuber (livestreams and help for students crossing over from foundation to higher). He has a Discord channel where you can ask your maths questions there and find resources.
. MyMathsCloud (for papers and questions filtered by grade difficulty)

For maths, it’s all about practice. So try as many questions as you can find that are out there. There are loads of free ones, so don’t need to spend too much money on textbooks.

Hope this helps, good luck with your resit!

hello,
i posted this earlier but i think you may have accidentally skimmed my question
do you have any tips on how to master exam style computer science questionsi currently take the same course as you and i understand the content even my teacher says so but i am very bad at writing exam style answerssame goes for English and science
thank you
Reply 23
Original post by kitty15
Hi,

. You can use the online website PhysicsMathsTutor. This contains past paper questions organized by topic, summary notes, flashcards. Try as many as you can, before topic tests, after you learn content, etc. This will prepare you for the real paper when it comes.

. Try CGP exam practice workbooks, revision guides, and target workbooks (that target certain grades e.g Target Grade 9 Chemistry Workbook).

Thanks for the info
Reply 24
Original post by kitty15
Hi,

Do u think seneca, cognito and the cgp books will cover everyhing needed to get 9s
Reply 25
Original post by Jijithe
Do u think seneca, cognito and the cgp books will cover everyhing needed to get 9s

Well, they definitely help. It will cover all the content you need. However, to get a 9, you can't just use cognito or seneca, as those mostly are for learning the content or practicing a few basic active recall multiple choice questions. The CGP revision books will also do the same.

For a grade 9, you need to do a lot of practice questions and past papers, as this will help with the exam technique that separates the higher grades from lower grades. So I would definitely recommend the CGP Exam Practice Workbooks. Definitely use Physics Maths Tutor, their notes are very good.
Reply 26
Original post by niqabiforever21
hello,
i posted this earlier but i think you may have accidentally skimmed my question
do you have any tips on how to master exam style computer science questionsi currently take the same course as you and i understand the content even my teacher says so but i am very bad at writing exam style answerssame goes for English and science
thank you

I think I already answered your question but here you are anyway I'll just paste my answer below:

Exam style computer science questions:. Try Craig and Dave YouTube videos, or mr brown CS walkthrough videos. CGP OCR workbooks.
ClearRevise revision guides. Make flashcards with model answers or buy on CGP site

English:. Try Mr Salles and Mr Bruff videos for exam technique guides.. SparkNotes. Look at their standard answers and try their questions.. I posted another response to a question inside this feed, in response to someone asking about English language. Check that out as that has some tips on the writing questions.

Science:. Practice questions. Practice, practice, practice! Use PhysicsMathsTutor for topic-based questions.
Original post by kitty15
I think I already answered your question but here you are anyway I'll just paste my answer below:

Exam style computer science questions:. Try Craig and Dave YouTube videos, or mr brown CS walkthrough videos. CGP OCR workbooks.
ClearRevise revision guides. Make flashcards with model answers or buy on CGP site

English:. Try Mr Salles and Mr Bruff videos for exam technique guides.. SparkNotes. Look at their standard answers and try their questions.. I posted another response to a question inside this feed, in response to someone asking about English language. Check that out as that has some tips on the writing questions.

Science:. Practice questions. Practice, practice, practice! Use PhysicsMathsTutor for topic-based questions.

thank you so much and sorry i may have not seen
i hope you do well in your a levels i also want to follow in the same footsteps.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by kitty15
Hi everyone,
I did my GCSEs last year, and got all 7-9s in them. Before I wasn’t that perfect, so i totally get it if you are panicking about your GCSEs after receiving mocks results! Don’t worry, I’m here to help. Ask me anything about any of the subjects below, or just general study advice.

I’m currently doing A Levels in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths, with plans to do biomedicine/med/biochem.

. Subjects studied at GCSE:
. Edexcel Higher Maths
. AQA English Lit and Language
. AQA Biology
. AQA Chemistry
. AQA Physics
. Edexcel Spanish
. Edexcel Mandarin
. OCR computer science J277
. Edexcel History

hiya do you have any tips on knowing what to say in physics exams? like i’ve learnt the spec inside out but whenever i do a past paper i don’t understand anything but then look at the mark scheme and it makes sense i’ve tried practice but it doesn’t help
Reply 29
Original post by annabel whittle
hiya do you have any tips on knowing what to say in physics exams? like i’ve learnt the spec inside out but whenever i do a past paper i don’t understand anything but then look at the mark scheme and it makes sense i’ve tried practice but it doesn’t help

I found physics the least picky mark scheme out of all the sciences, but I understand what you mean, often the past papers put in 'application' questions with unknown concepts and that often triggers a mind blank. I wasn't that good at physics previously, but I found my problem was more of struggling to grasp more difficult concepts.

Maybe the problem is that you haven't had enough exposure to these application questions? It might be easy to start off by going through some slowly, instead of jumping straight into a past paper.

If you don't mind buying workbooks I would recommend:
. CGP Target Grade 8/9 GCSE Physics Exam Practice Workbook. This I found was very helpful at introducing me to some of the higher grade questions, and the mark schemes were clear and well structured for this.
. You can also try Pearson Revise GCSE Physics Workbook, this helps you by giving you hints, or starting off the question for you, as well as giving a guide on how to answer exam questions.

If you would prefer free online resources:
. PhysicsMathsTutor. Try their notes on practical skills, their flashcards, and their question papers filtered by topic.
. Isaac Physics. This offers a few questions which are more challenging, but they help you with the problem-solving skills needed at GCSE physics level. However, don't jump straight into these if you feel like you are not working/targeting a high grade level, as they can be a little off-putting if you find them too hard.
. Physics Online. He's a Youtuber that really helps with learning concepts. But if you're looking for exam technique try using Primrose Kitten youtube videos.

In addition, the next time you try a question, and do not understand it until you look at the mark scheme, write down the topic of the question. Then, add the question to a flashcard, and write down the answer exactly the way the mark scheme phrases it. This will help drill exam technique in. Look over the flashcard multiple times in a week, then the next week, try the questions again

Hope this helps, and good luck with your exams!
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 30
Original post by kitty15
Hi everyone,
I did my GCSEs last year, and got all 7-9s in them. Before I wasn’t that perfect, so i totally get it if you are panicking about your GCSEs after receiving mocks results! Don’t worry, I’m here to help. Ask me anything about any of the subjects below, or just general study advice.

I’m currently doing A Levels in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths, with plans to do biomedicine/med/biochem.

. Edexcel Higher Maths
. AQA Biology
. AQA Chemistry
. AQA Physics
. Edexcel Spanish
. Edexcel Mandarin
. Edexcel History

i’m in year 11 but i don’t have any motivation and haven’t revised before when should i start
Original post by kitty15
I found physics the least picky mark scheme out of all the sciences, but I understand what you mean, often the past papers put in 'application' questions with unknown concepts and that often triggers a mind blank. I wasn't that good at physics previously, but I found my problem was more of struggling to grasp more difficult concepts.

Maybe the problem is that you haven't had enough exposure to these application questions? It might be easy to start off by going through some slowly, instead of jumping straight into a past paper.

If you don't mind buying workbooks I would recommend:
. CGP Target Grade 8/9 GCSE Physics Exam Practice Workbook. This I found was very helpful at introducing me to some of the higher grade questions, and the mark schemes were clear and well structured for this.
. You can also try Pearson Revise GCSE Physics Workbook, this helps you by giving you hints, or starting off the question for you, as well as giving a guide on how to answer exam questions.

If you would prefer free online resources:
. PhysicsMathsTutor. Try their notes on practical skills, their flashcards, and their question papers filtered by topic.
. Isaac Physics. This offers a few questions which are more challenging, but they help you with the problem-solving skills needed at GCSE physics level. However, don't jump straight into these if you feel like you are not working/targeting a high grade level, as they can be a little off-putting if you find them too hard.
. Physics Online. He's a Youtuber that really helps with learning concepts. But if you're looking for exam technique try using Primrose Kitten youtube videos.

In addition, the next time you try a question, and do not understand it until you look at the mark scheme, write down the topic of the question. Then, add the question to a flashcard, and write down the answer exactly the way the mark scheme phrases it. This will help drill exam technique in. Look over the flashcard multiple times in a week, then the next week, try the questions again

thank you sm i will definitely try 🙏🏻
Reply 32
Original post by leona1
i’m in year 11 but i don’t have any motivation and haven’t revised before when should i start

Hi,

It’s important to start revising now, so that you will be prepared when it comes to exams. However, if you are struggling with motivation here are some procrastination tips that will help.

. The 5 minute rule. Get everything set up, but don’t put too much stuff on the table as this may get you overwhelmed. Try at least 5 mins of work, with no distractions. Try starting a past paper. Don’t listen to music ideally during this time. Buy some quiet earplugs, or use simple foam ones. If you find you are still working after 5 mins, keep on going for another 5 mins. You’ll find very quickly that you get into the ‘flow’ and find it hard to stop, especially if you are doing active recall such as flashcards or past papers.

. Pomodoro technique. This works for some people, but not everyone (didn’t work for me) but if you are struggling with motivation it could be a good idea. The idea is 25 mins study, 10 mins break. (You could try 15 mins but that’s not enough time to reach a focused ‘flow’ state of work). Try using study with me YouTube or LifeAt to help with this. During these 10 mins, you don’t have to be not working at all. Don’t go on your phone though (it’s tempting). Make yourself a cup of tea, look at some flashcards, drink water.
After a few sessions you can try increasing the length to 30 mins and 10 mins, or 45 mins and 15 mins.

. Which subjects do you enjoy? Look for the best study techniques for those ones, the ones that work the best for you.one reason why you could be struggling with motivation is because you are using passive study techniques (e.g just highlighting or reading the textbook). Make sure to use active recall, by testing yourself. There are definitely some websites that help with this (Gimzo Ai, Seneca). They will make studying more enjoyable.

Hope this helps, good luck with your exams!
Original post by kitty15
Hi everyone,

. Edexcel Higher Maths
. AQA Biology
. AQA Chemistry
. AQA Physics
. Edexcel Spanish
. Edexcel Mandarin
. Edexcel History

How to do good in languages?
Reply 34
Original post by studyfor9s
How to do good in languages?

Hi, I'll just put some general tips and resources on writing, speaking, listening and reading below. These tips aren't specific to any particular language, should work for all of them.

Writing:
. Look up grade 8/9 phrases. There are many out there online. Look on Quizlet for flashcards with 'grade 9 phrases'.
. Look up idioms for the language. This can be hard to find a good one to fit, but if you do, make sure you practice writing it daily and using it in your writing practice. Don't worry about needing to use too many, if you use just one that will make the examiner impressed and put you in higher grade brackets. You can also use these in speaking.
. After you have done your writing practice, highlight with colours and annotate your answer. For example, highlight where you have used:

Connectives. Make sure you are using the more advanced ones e.g (from my point of view, when I grow up, etc)

Grade 9 phrases/ idioms

Adjectives/describing words

Past tense/future tense/present tense

Special tenses (e.g the imperfect or conditional tense in Spanish. These difficult-to master but impressive tenses will put you in a higher grade bracket).

If you don't see enough of one colour, think about how you can use that technique more, or go into your textbook and try to master that technique.

Speaking:
. Find someone you can practice speaking with. This can be anyone. My mum had a Spanish colleague at work so she helped me practice Spanish with weekly 20 min informal practice. My Spanish friend at school also helped. See if your school has any clinics for languages.

Listening:
. Try using the youtube channel Easy Languages. They have channels for quite a few languages (I used Easy Spanish and Easy Mandarin). In this youtube channel, they interview members of the public on the streets about food, culture, music, etc. This will not only help you with listening but also with speaking.

Reading:
. Practice reading all the texts in your textbook. You can also get workbooks if you want.
. For the translation exercises, make sure you have a strong knowledge of your vocab list.
. Make sure you know how to write in each different tense.

Original post by kitty15
Hi, I'll just put some general tips and resources on writing, speaking, listening and reading below. These tips aren't specific to any particular language, should work for all of them.

Writing:
. Look up grade 8/9 phrases. There are many out there online. Look on Quizlet for flashcards with 'grade 9 phrases'.
. Look up idioms for the language. This can be hard to find a good one to fit, but if you do, make sure you practice writing it daily and using it in your writing practice. Don't worry about needing to use too many, if you use just one that will make the examiner impressed and put you in higher grade brackets. You can also use these in speaking.
. After you have done your writing practice, highlight with colours and annotate your answer. For example, highlight where you have used:

Connectives. Make sure you are using the more advanced ones e.g (from my point of view, when I grow up, etc)

Grade 9 phrases/ idioms

Adjectives/describing words

Past tense/future tense/present tense

Special tenses (e.g the imperfect or conditional tense in Spanish. These difficult-to master but impressive tenses will put you in a higher grade bracket).

If you don't see enough of one colour, think about how you can use that technique more, or go into your textbook and try to master that technique.

Speaking:
. Find someone you can practice speaking with. This can be anyone. My mum had a Spanish colleague at work so she helped me practice Spanish with weekly 20 min informal practice. My Spanish friend at school also helped. See if your school has any clinics for languages.

Listening:
. Try using the youtube channel Easy Languages. They have channels for quite a few languages (I used Easy Spanish and Easy Mandarin). In this youtube channel, they interview members of the public on the streets about food, culture, music, etc. This will not only help you with listening but also with speaking.

Reading:
. Practice reading all the texts in your textbook. You can also get workbooks if you want.
. For the translation exercises, make sure you have a strong knowledge of your vocab list.
. Make sure you know how to write in each different tense.

Thank you for the detailed reply. I wasn't specific with the language as I think that your tips for Spanish would apply for French (which is what I do), so that you could fully tell me what you did without exclusion. Thanks again!
Original post by kitty15
Hi everyone,

. Edexcel Higher Maths
. AQA Biology
. AQA Chemistry
. AQA Physics
. Edexcel Spanish
. Edexcel Mandarin
. Edexcel History

how much should I revise daily for each subject (I took art, his,french) and have to re for all 9s and 8s when I m at 7s and 6s? I used enjoy maths but after my failed mock grade im avoiding it, help!
Reply 37
Original post by LalalalallOL
how much should I revise daily for each subject (I took art, his,french) and have to re for all 9s and 8s when I m at 7s and 6s? I used enjoy maths but after my failed mock grade im avoiding it, help!

there’s no real answer to how much you should revise. However, if you’re struggling with maths, it’s important you try to do it daily, as maths is a core subject and you need to pass at the end of the day.

If you’re struggling with time blocking for your subjects I would recommend using a revision timetable. You can either make one that mimics your school timetable (this might be a good idea as you would often have English and maths every day), or you can use an app to help you create one. There’s an app called Adapt which I found helpful for creating a revision schedule, as it allows you to choose the topics you find difficult and can help identify them for you too.

Your study sessions should be 30 mins to 1hr long, with a short 10-15 min break afterwards. I found this the most helpful, however some people prefer the pomodoro technique (25 mins study, 10 min break)However, if you want to do a past paper, you can allocate a longer time, so that you practice, check and review all in that study session. Just make sure you have some time for the other subjects factored in.

If it’s a school day, try to get your homework done as soon as you receive it or as soon as you get home. That way you get it out of the way and can revise. If you spend more than 45 mins or 1hr doing your homework (depending on the homework), leave it be. Or try again at a different time of the day.

Hope this helps!
Original post by kitty15
Hi everyone,

. Edexcel Higher Maths
. AQA Biology
. AQA Chemistry
. AQA Physics
. Edexcel Spanish
. Edexcel Mandarin
. Edexcel History
Hello, thank you for doing this! I am doing basically the exact same gcse's as you, except i am not doing mandarin, i am doing french instead of spanish and geography instead of history. I am currently in year 10, and my average predicted grade is a 7. I want to get 8s and 9s, and i have mocks in one month. I want to do really well in the mocks as it can boost my predicted grades, which would help me get into the college I want. Any advice for doing exceptionally well in the mocks? just additional information, for bio chem and physics i am only doing paper 1, for maths i am doing paper 1 and 2, english lang i am doing both papers, english lit i am doing both papers EXCEPT for modern texts in paper 2. those are the main subjects i care about, just general study advice on how to do very well in one month; thanks!
Reply 39
Original post by School_Student99
Hello, thank you for doing this! I am doing basically the exact same gcse's as you, except i am not doing mandarin, i am doing french instead of spanish and geography instead of history. I am currently in year 10, and my average predicted grade is a 7. I want to get 8s and 9s, and i have mocks in one month. I want to do really well in the mocks as it can boost my predicted grades, which would help me get into the college I want. Any advice for doing exceptionally well in the mocks? just additional information, for bio chem and physics i am only doing paper 1, for maths i am doing paper 1 and 2, english lang i am doing both papers, english lit i am doing both papers EXCEPT for modern texts in paper 2. those are the main subjects i care about, just general study advice on how to do very well in one month; thanks!
Hi,
Let me just offer some general study advice on how to ace mocks.

Identifying and prioritising your weakest areas
. Make a spreadsheet/ print of the specification for what you need to study. Alternatively you can use online resources such as revision planners/trackers for this, for example the youtuber Noman Sami provides revision trackers for GCSE.

. Highlight topics with red, yellow, green. This is called the 'traffic light system'. Anything you are the least confident on and need immediate recapping highlight in red and write these all down on a separate list for prioritisation. Identify which resources you are going to use for your recapping of each topic, and write these down too (e.g I will do question 1,2,3,4,5 from the textbook). Aim to spend no longer than 30 mins (max 45 mins) going over each topic on your red checklist. If you are still struggling, continue to flag the topic and speak to your teachers for advice.

Second brain
. I feel like I didn't use this technique enough at GCSE. It's very helpful for A Levels/college.

. Basically, the aim is to create a storage space. This can be online or via a folder (ideally online because folders are bulky and you can lose the papers).
. For example, when watching a youtube video, take screenshots and save these. Write down any key words or example questions onto flashcards. Aim to do this while you are learning the content/right after the lesson.
. This way, you are hacking the forgetting curve by solidifying concepts in your memory by having a backup 'storage space' for concepts.

Priming/Previewing
. If you are about to do mocks and your school is still teaching new content, this can be frustrating as you might not have time in lessons to revise. Moreover, if you find the lesson difficult, you might struggle with homework and might want to go over that topic, which can be distracting from what is coming up in your mocks.
. To combat this, try priming (sometimes called previewing as well). Watch a youtube video before learning the topics and make some notes. This way, not only will you feel more confident in class, but you will be able to focus your time on revision rather than trying to grasp unfamiliar topics which won't appear in the mocks.

Making notes
. Ideally your notes should be written using bullet points, phrase as question and answer. This saves so much time, because you won't have to struggle to read a long page of paragraphs of notes.
. Look into different note taking systems and see if there's one that suits you!
. Use Knowunity, it's a brilliant app where other students share their notes! They are often visual and clear, and will save you time from making your own notes.

Hope this helps, good luck with your mocks!

Quick Reply

Latest