The Student Room Group

Former GCSE student achieved all grades 7-9s. Ask me anything.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kitty15
Hi,
Let me just offer some general study advice on how to ace mocks.

Identifying and prioritising your weakest areas
. Make a spreadsheet/ print of the specification for what you need to study. Alternatively you can use online resources such as revision planners/trackers for this, for example the youtuber Noman Sami provides revision trackers for GCSE.

. Highlight topics with red, yellow, green. This is called the 'traffic light system'. Anything you are the least confident on and need immediate recapping highlight in red and write these all down on a separate list for prioritisation. Identify which resources you are going to use for your recapping of each topic, and write these down too (e.g I will do question 1,2,3,4,5 from the textbook). Aim to spend no longer than 30 mins (max 45 mins) going over each topic on your red checklist. If you are still struggling, continue to flag the topic and speak to your teachers for advice.

Second brain
. I feel like I didn't use this technique enough at GCSE. It's very helpful for A Levels/college.

. Basically, the aim is to create a storage space. This can be online or via a folder (ideally online because folders are bulky and you can lose the papers).
. For example, when watching a youtube video, take screenshots and save these. Write down any key words or example questions onto flashcards. Aim to do this while you are learning the content/right after the lesson.
. This way, you are hacking the forgetting curve by solidifying concepts in your memory by having a backup 'storage space' for concepts.

Priming/Previewing
. If you are about to do mocks and your school is still teaching new content, this can be frustrating as you might not have time in lessons to revise. Moreover, if you find the lesson difficult, you might struggle with homework and might want to go over that topic, which can be distracting from what is coming up in your mocks.
. To combat this, try priming (sometimes called previewing as well). Watch a youtube video before learning the topics and make some notes. This way, not only will you feel more confident in class, but you will be able to focus your time on revision rather than trying to grasp unfamiliar topics which won't appear in the mocks.

Making notes
. Ideally your notes should be written using bullet points, phrase as question and answer. This saves so much time, because you won't have to struggle to read a long page of paragraphs of notes.
. Look into different note taking systems and see if there's one that suits you!
. Use Knowunity, it's a brilliant app where other students share their notes! They are often visual and clear, and will save you time from making your own notes.

Hope this helps, good luck with your mocks!
Neat, thank you!
Original post by kitty15
Hi everyone,
I did my GCSEs last year, and got all 7-9s in them. Before I wasn’t that perfect, so i totally get it if you are panicking about your GCSEs after receiving mocks results! Don’t worry, I’m here to help. Ask me anything about any of the subjects below, or just general study advice.

I’m currently doing A Levels in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths, with plans to do biomedicine/med/biochem.

. Subjects studied at GCSE:
. Edexcel Higher Maths
. AQA English Lit and Language
. AQA Biology
. AQA Chemistry
. AQA Physics
. Edexcel Spanish
. Edexcel Mandarin
. OCR computer science J277
. Edexcel History
Hey! Well done on your amazing GCSE results!

How many hours did you revise after school and when did you start revising for your exams? I'm panicking because there are only a couple of months left and I'm aiming for 7s and above! I really struggle with STEM subjects (I take triple science) and I just don't know how to improve. I've started making flashcards with the specification and once I've finished those I'll move onto past papers.

Here are what I got in my January mocks:

IGCSE Biology: 5

IGCSE Chemistry: 4

IGCSE Physics: 4

IGCSE Maths: 5

Drama: 7

English Lit: 7

English Lang: 9

History: 7

German: 7

Spanish: 5

What advice do you have for STEM subjects and Spanish? Thank you!!!
Original post by toothless-luxury

How many hours did you revise after school and when did you start revising for your exams? I'm panicking because there are only a couple of months left and I'm aiming for 7s and above! I really struggle with STEM subjects (I take triple science) and I just don't know how to improve. I've started making flashcards with the specification and once I've finished those I'll move onto past papers.

Hello, I know you are asking for advice yourself but do you have any advice for English Language? I am currently in year 10, predicted a grade 6. I don't know how to actually study for it because it isn't memorising facts like science for example
thanks!
Original post by School_Student99
Hello, I know you are asking for advice yourself but do you have any advice for English Language? I am currently in year 10, predicted a grade 6. I don't know how to actually study for it because it isn't memorising facts like science for example
thanks!
Hey! Don't worry too much now as you're only in Year 10 and have plenty of time to work on improving. Lots of people fall into the trap of thinking that they can't revise for English Lit & Lang but this just isn't true! I naturally get better grades in essay subjects then STEM but there are still a few things I do to revise.

English Language (I do edexcel IGCSE) has lots of sections (transactional writing, comparing poems, unseen poetry, creative writing ect.) so it's normal to struggle with a few of them. The main thing is to understand what you get marks on, looking at a mark scheme. Every time we do a test, my teacher shows us the mark scheme to get us to understand exactly where we pick up marks. It is split up into 5 sections, so focus on how to achieve level 4 and 5. Also, make sure you answer the question!! It is so important to stay focused on what exactly you are being asked to do, this is where you pick up marks.

For poetry and non-fic texts just make sure you know them inside out, re-read them all. Watch YouTube videos explaining each one in detail and make notes summerizing the key themes.

For transactional writing make sure you know how to structure your essay depending on which one you get asked (article, leaflet ect.) and look at full marks exemplars which are given out by your exam board. You can do the same for creative writing

For any essays the main thing is to plan them!! Planning essays is almost as good as writing them it saves so much time and you'll be prepared for any question in the exam

I really hope this helps you can ask me any questions at all and also if you are interested in English Lit let me know!!
Original post by chibace23
Do you have any tips for maths higher tier, im retaking maths in year 12 (as i wasn’t happy with my original grade), but i’m going from foundation to higher so any tips? :smile:
Maths Genie is so so helpful!! Also Corbett Maths's 5-a-day
Reply 45

Hi,
In regards to how long I revise after school, I say I’d come home around 5:30pm, then I would just have a quick snack and get straight to revising, whether that be doing homework or studying. I would have 40 mins for dinner. I do know people who studied much less than I did, and still got good grades though. Do prioritise your sleep and rest!

If you’ve started making flashcards for the sciences, that’s great. This shows you are already using active recall. Make sure your flashcards are simple questions and answer. However making physical flashcards can take up a lot of time, so maybe try using online ones, so search some up on apps like Quizlet or Gimzo.Ai. CGP also sell ones for the sciences. These are specific to the specification.

From your predicted grades, it looks like you are struggling the most with chemistry and physics. With chem and physics, I found that making flashcards wasn’t the best technique for me, because the mark schemes at gcse are much less picky than biology.

For chemistry, I would recommend making flashcards for common ions, and the alloys, chemical tests, because you have to learn and recall those. If you go on save my exams and type common ions for GCSE if should tell you the ones you need to know.
That should be all you need to do. You can also condense these into mindmaps (I made some for chemical analysis tests to help me see how each step linked to how to test for the ions).

For physics, it’s less about flashcards, more about practicing using the equations in unfamiliar context, so definitely start practicing. There is a brilliant app called 23 equations physics gcse to help you learn these, so again, no need for physical flashcards.

I would recommend the following resources for practicing:
. PhysicsMathsTutor (topic-based questions, past papers for sciences and maths, also for a vast range of other subjects too)
. Cognito (YouTube channel to help you learn the sciences, it has videos ordered by specification order if you go to playlists)
. PhysicsOnline (YouTube channel for physics)
. Seneca (for active recall practice and learning the facts)

Hope this helps, and good luck with your exams! I will write a separate reply for how to improve on spanish.
Reply 46
Maths Genie is so so helpful!! Also Corbett Maths's 5-a-day
Yes, Corbett maths 5 a day is excellent to use at the beginning of revision sessions! Maths Genie is also great, I use it at A Level too!
Reply 47
Hey! Don't worry too much now as you're only in Year 10 and have plenty of time to work on improving. Lots of people fall into the trap of thinking that they can't revise for English Lit & Lang but this just isn't true! I naturally get better grades in essay subjects then STEM but there are still a few things I do to revise.

English Language (I do edexcel IGCSE) has lots of sections (transactional writing, comparing poems, unseen poetry, creative writing ect.) so it's normal to struggle with a few of them. The main thing is to understand what you get marks on, looking at a mark scheme. Every time we do a test, my teacher shows us the mark scheme to get us to understand exactly where we pick up marks. It is split up into 5 sections, so focus on how to achieve level 4 and 5. Also, make sure you answer the question!! It is so important to stay focused on what exactly you are being asked to do, this is where you pick up marks.

For poetry and non-fic texts just make sure you know them inside out, re-read them all. Watch YouTube videos explaining each one in detail and make notes summerizing the key themes.

For transactional writing make sure you know how to structure your essay depending on which one you get asked (article, leaflet ect.) and look at full marks exemplars which are given out by your exam board. You can do the same for creative writing

For any essays the main thing is to plan them!! Planning essays is almost as good as writing them it saves so much time and you'll be prepared for any question in the exam

I really hope this helps you can ask me any questions at all and also if you are interested in English Lit let me know!!
totally agree with the advice in this, and I would also add to read the examiners report! Often they show example answers there and will analyse them to show where past students went wrong and how they can improve!

Yes and for transactional writing I would recommend trying all the different forms of writing, and get familiar with the format for example how to lay out a letter.

I would definitely recommend getting as much practice writing essays and practicing papers as you can! Practice under timed conditions. When marking your paper, analyse by highlighting where you have used figurative language, similes, etc. I’ll link a video below for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8qiyil-6DE&t=29s
This is specific to GCSE (so don’t get confused by format if you are doing igcse ) but definitely helps with what you should include in persuasive/informative writing.
Reply 48

For Spanish:

. I would recommend using Quizlet to learn vocab. Search up flashcards on there, they are usually ordered by how it appears on the vocab list of your spec.

. Check out these excellent knowledge organisers and vocab lists:

https://www.mflmagic.com/uploads/1/3/2/2/132228832/gcse_ko_booklet_final.pdf

. For writing, the secret to getting in the top grade bracket for 8s and 9s (yes, it is possible to improve that much if you put your mind to it and use the correct study techniques):
. You need to be using connectives. Not just simple ones such as because or also. Use ones such as ‘por un lado, por otro lado’.
. Look up some idioms that you could use in your writing or speaking. These are very impressive to the examiners!
. Learn how to use the special tenses. For example, instead of always using past tense, try using imperfect. Learn how to use conditional instead of always writing things like ‘en el futuro, voy’

. For speaking:
. Attend any speaking clinics offered by your school.
. Practice speaking for the topics you struggle the most with. For me this was the environment and economy topic.
. Practice the picture card as much as you can. Use the mnemonic PALMS for what you should describe (Place, Action, Location, Mood, Setting/Weather).
. also use your memories when describing photo card. If you see a photo of a sunny beach, after using the PALMS mnemonic, use an example of when you went to a beach. Don’t be afraid to make things up in order to add more vocabulary!

Hope this helps and good luck with your exams!
Reply 49

For maths:

First of all, don’t worry about your grade. In September of Year 11, my grade was around the same. I used to be in foundation maths after falling behind in studies in earlier years, but with plenty of practice, I managed to increase my grade to an 8 and am now sitting maths and further maths for a level!

.It’s great that you are already using maths genie! Maths genie, does predicted papers which come out around may time. Take ‘predicted’ with a pinch of salt though. Consider these extra practice.

. I know you are doing IGCSE, but here are some GCSE resources that could also help:

. Dr Frost Maths (I believe he has some resources on his website for IGCSE)
. The GCSE Maths Tutor YouTube channel
. use the cgp workbooks for extra practice!

https://www.savemyexams.com/igcse/maths/

I would also recommend using MyMathsCloud as it has papers that target certain grades, so if you are working at a 5, you can practice questions that will help you go up a few grades.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your exams!
(edited 2 months ago)
What resource did you use for your ocr computer science
Reply 51
Original post by teetoyin10
What resource did you use for your ocr computer science
Hi,

So here are the resources I recommend:
. OCR CGP Exam Practice Workbook and Revision Guide. The exam practice workbook is good for those algorithm questions.
. I also recommend the Clear Revise revision guides as they are colorful and good if you are a visual learner.

Youtubers:
. Craig and Dave. They have videos in order with the spec for computer science j277, and also have a revision platform.
. Mr Brown CS.

Other revision platforms:
. Seneca
. Isaac Computer Science
Reply 52
Original post by kitty15
Hi everyone,
I did my GCSEs last year, and got all 7-9s in them. Before I wasn’t that perfect, so i totally get it if you are panicking about your GCSEs after receiving mocks results! Don’t worry, I’m here to help. Ask me anything about any of the subjects below, or just general study advice.

I’m currently doing A Levels in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths, with plans to do biomedicine/med/biochem.

. Subjects studied at GCSE and grades:
. Edexcel Higher Maths (8)
. AQA English Lit and Language (7 in Lang, 8 in Lit)
. AQA Biology (9)
. AQA Chemistry (9)
. AQA Physics (8)
. Edexcel Spanish (9)
. Edexcel Mandarin (9)
. OCR computer science J277 (7)
. Edexcel History (8)
Im in set one english right and im expecting to get 7 in both lit and lang. is there any time left to improve my grade?
Reply 53
Original post by ʍ५™
Im in set one english right and im expecting to get 7 in both lit and lang. is there any time left to improve my grade?
Hi, if you start now and have your heart set on the aim then it is more than possible. I was working at a Grade 4 in English Lit and Lang at the end of year 10. I got a 9 in my Y11 mocks for Language and a 7 in English Lit (probably this grade fell a little, but only back down to a 7 in the real GCSE exam because I concentrated too much on English Lit and forgot about Language, note well to make sure you don't neglect English Language). So yes, it is possible to see a massive change in a matter of months.

Here are my tips to help you:
. Use Mr Salles Teaches English. He is an excellent youtuber, and really helps with his top grades analysis points. He definitely helped me go up a few grades!
. Stacey Reay also does videos for those targeting Grade 9s. Her videos definitely help, though if you are struggling with understanding her points don't worry, they are very complicated! If you remember just one and use it in your paper that's very good!
. Mr Bruff is also a good youtuber, especially because his videos are organised by each poem/question on the paper. This can really help if you want a quick recap and analysis of the poems as those videos only last 5 mins. His longer videos include him going through top grade answers. I didn't use him as much as Mr Salles though as I found Mr Bruff's channel lacked enough top grade analysis points for my liking.

. For Lit: Make sure you are familiar with the context of all the texts/plays you are studying. Not just the basics. For example, make sure you read about any events that occured at the time, and think about how these could have affected the events that took place in the text and how the characters could have behaved. Look at Physics Maths Tutor's English Lit context notes for ideas.
. For Lang: Get plenty of practice. Make sure you are familiar with all formats of writing for the English Language paper (for example how to format a letter or a newspaper article). Also get a lot of practice at the structure question (for AQA). Have a look at the examiner's reports for your exam board, they show past student answers and really unpick them, helping you to see how the mark scheme works and how examiners mark your work.
Original post by kitty15
Hi everyone,

. AQA Biology (9)
. AQA Chemistry (9)
. AQA Physics (8)
. Edexcel Spanish (9)
. Edexcel Mandarin (9)
. Edexcel History (8)
doing the j277 spec and getting a 7 is a flex ngl the papers got so hard 😭
Reply 55
Original post by LucidAegis
doing the j277 spec and getting a 7 is a flex ngl the papers got so hard 😭
Yeah normally I’m getting really high scores on paper 2 but the paper 2 exam was so difficult
Original post by kitty15
Yeah normally I’m getting really high scores on paper 2 but the paper 2 exam was so difficult
i just had it as my mock today xD
Original post by kitty15
Original post by niqabiforever21
hello,
i posted this earlier but i think you may have accidentally skimmed my question
do you have any tips on how to master exam style computer science questionsi currently take the same course as you and i understand the content even my teacher says so but i am very bad at writing exam style answerssame goes for English and science
thank you

I think I already answered your question but here you are anyway I'll just paste my answer below:

Exam style computer science questions:. Try Craig and Dave YouTube videos, or mr brown CS walkthrough videos. CGP OCR workbooks.
ClearRevise revision guides. Make flashcards with model answers or buy on CGP site

English:. Try Mr Salles and Mr Bruff videos for exam technique guides.. SparkNotes. Look at their standard answers and try their questions.. I posted another response to a question inside this feed, in response to someone asking about English language. Check that out as that has some tips on the writing questions.

Science:. Practice questions. Practice, practice, practice! Use PhysicsMathsTutor for topic-based questions.

how can i access spark notes for english language?
Original post by kitty15
Hi everyone,

. AQA Biology (9)
. AQA Chemistry (9)
. AQA Physics (8)
. Edexcel Spanish (9)
. Edexcel Mandarin (9)
. Edexcel History (8)
Hi, I hope you are well. I am really happy to see you are helping year 111 students for GCSE. I m really worried as I haven't started any revision yet and my real GCSE will start in may. I study: Maths - (Edexcel), English (lit, lang) - (AQA), science (bio, chem & physics) - (AQA - combined higher), computer science (edexcel), geography (edexcel A), health and social care - BTEC (edexcel - level 1/2).

In my recent mock for ...... I got.....
MATHS - grade 5 (paper 1,2,3)
SCIENCE (combined foundation) (only paper 1)- grade 5 for bio, grade 3 for chem and grade 4 for physics
GEOGRAPHY - grade 6 for paper 1, grade 5 for paper 2
ENGLISH - grade 4 for language (paper 1), grade 6 for literature (Paper 1)
COMPUTER SC. - grade 3 for paper 1 and grade 4 for paper 2.

My predictions - What I want to achieve in my real GCSEs

Maths - grade 7, maybe 8
science - bio: grade 6, chem: grade 5/6, physic: grade 5/6. MAYBE grade 7
English - lang: grade 5/6, lit: grade 6/7
geography - grade 6/7
computer science - grade 6 (overall)

I have took my time to explain everything to you. so you will be ale to tell be accurately what should I do. You have really explained in detail to other people that might be really helpful to them so I want your help. I am extremely worried.
Reply 59
Original post by Harman Kaur
Hi, I hope you are well. I am really happy to see you are helping year 111 students for GCSE. I m really worried as I haven't started any revision yet and my real GCSE will start in may. I study: Maths - (Edexcel), English (lit, lang) - (AQA), science (bio, chem & physics) - (AQA - combined higher), computer science (edexcel), geography (edexcel A), health and social care - BTEC (edexcel - level 1/2).

In my recent mock for ...... I got.....
MATHS - grade 5 (paper 1,2,3)
SCIENCE (combined foundation) (only paper 1)- grade 5 for bio, grade 3 for chem and grade 4 for physics
GEOGRAPHY - grade 6 for paper 1, grade 5 for paper 2
ENGLISH - grade 4 for language (paper 1), grade 6 for literature (Paper 1)
COMPUTER SC. - grade 3 for paper 1 and grade 4 for paper 2.

My predictions - What I want to achieve in my real GCSEs

Maths - grade 7, maybe 8
science - bio: grade 6, chem: grade 5/6, physic: grade 5/6. MAYBE grade 7
English - lang: grade 5/6, lit: grade 6/7
geography - grade 6/7
computer science - grade 6 (overall)

I have took my time to explain everything to you. so you will be ale to tell be accurately what should I do. You have really explained in detail to other people that might be really helpful to them so I want your help. I am extremely worried.
Hi! Don’t worry, these grades are not bad. I was working at the same level at the end of Year 10, beginning of Y11, even in maths and science, which I am now studying as my A levels. Don’t worry if your grade is still low, there is time to get good grades if you put your mind to it and target your weaknesses. Please try not to let the anxiety get to you- this may cause burnout and you need to prioritise your mental health. Remember to view every grade increase or percentage increase, no matter how small, as a win.

I will split my response into one reply for Science, Maths and Computer Science, and then another one for English. I will then write another reply with further study advice.

my tips for maths
I went from a grade 5 at the beginning of Year 11 (foundation gcse) to an 8 grade at higher and now I am sitting further maths at A Level. In primary school I wasn’t even good at maths. Anything is possible!

. I strongly recommend the YouTuber The GCSE Maths Tutor. He will help you increase your grade for sure. Try his videos aimed at certain grades, or if you are working at a pass grade and want to try getting into higher grade brackets, try the crossover playlist which should help increase your grade.
. I also recommend Mitchell Dye YouTube. He works with lots of students that struggle with maths and helps them pass/increase their grade. He offers lessons, grade targeted paper walkthroughs, and also a discord platform where you can ask for maths help and submit any questions to him.
. Practice is key. Use Maths Genie and Corbett Maths 5 a day. The Corbett maths 5 a day you can filter by grade difficulty, and these definitely help you improve your maths little by little every day. Use Maths Genie to find maths questions by topic, and Physics Maths Tutor to find past papers.
. Try the workbooks called Target Grade 7 maths.

Science (Bio and Chem)
. I really recommend Cognito as a YouTuber for gcse science (all sciences, combined and triple). Playlists are ordered by the specification.
. Also have a look at Primrose Kitten YouTuber or Free Science Lessons.

. DM me as I have some science resources from GCSE that I can share with you.

. For Bio, definitely make flashcards. Also practice using physics maths tutor for topic based questions. It’s really important you practice so you can learn exam technique as mark schemes are very picky.
. For chem, make flashcards, but only for stuff you really have to remember, such as common ions and chemical tests. For your other revision get plenty of practice. Use the CGP guides and workbooks.

Physics
. I recommend the YouTuber PhysicsOnline.
. Also try the CGP workbooks, revision guides and the Pearson Revise ones.
. Use PhysicsMathsTutor for topic based questions, past papers, notes and more.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest