The Student Room Group

Former GCSE student achieved all grades 7-9s. Ask me anything.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kitty15
As for easier, I found I was naturally good at both, however in the end it was the ocr exam board that killed my grade down from a 9 by making a horrible paper. But both history and computer science required a strong amount of work.
How much you have to know for paper 2 which is hard to apply content
Original post by kitty15
Hi everyone,
I did my GCSEs last year, and got all 7-9s in them. Before I wasn’t that perfect, so i totally get it if you are panicking about your GCSEs after receiving mocks results! Don’t worry, I’m here to help. Ask me anything about any of the subjects below, or just general study advice.
I’m currently doing A Levels in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths, with plans to do biomedicine/med/biochem.
. Subjects studied at GCSE and grades:
. Edexcel Higher Maths (8)
. AQA English Lit and Language (7 in Lang, 8 in Lit)
. AQA Biology (9)
. AQA Chemistry (9)
. AQA Physics (8)
. Edexcel Spanish (9)
. Edexcel Mandarin (9)
. OCR computer science J277 (7)
. Edexcel History (8)
what did u use to do good in unseen poetry?
Reply 82
Original post by chocolemon08
what did u use to do good in unseen poetry?
Resources:
. York Notes Unseen Poetry Revision Guide
. CGP Unseen Poetry Revision Guide
. Mr Salles YouTube

Tips:
. Read the poem ‘out loud’ in your head. This will help you get a feel about whether the poem has rythm or a rhyme scheme.
. Become familiar with the different types of rhyme schemes and their effects.
. Analyse structure of the poem e.g how stanzas are split.
. Annotate each stanza according to how the focus shifts (changes in tense, tone, person, POV, setting)

Hope this helps, and good luck with your exams!
Original post by kitty15
Resources:
. York Notes Unseen Poetry Revision Guide
. CGP Unseen Poetry Revision Guide
. Mr Salles YouTube
Tips:
. Read the poem ‘out loud’ in your head. This will help you get a feel about whether the poem has rythm or a rhyme scheme.
. Become familiar with the different types of rhyme schemes and their effects.
. Analyse structure of the poem e.g how stanzas are split.
. Annotate each stanza according to how the focus shifts (changes in tense, tone, person, POV, setting)
Hope this helps, and good luck with your exams!
Kitty out of history and cs which do you recommend if want manageable with triple science rs business and to get good grade???
Reply 84
Original post by Brianstudy01
Kitty out of history and cs which do you recommend if want manageable with triple science rs business and to get good grade???
Well what do you want to do for a level/post 16 options?

If you want to do science based route I would suggest computer science. However history is also a good GCSE as it helps with essay writing (useful if you want to do a levels in essay based subjects). I did both history and computer science and found them both very interesting subjects and they were manageable. Neither is worse than the other to be honest.

I can only recommend that you choose what you feel suits you best.
Reply 85
How much you have to know for paper 2 which is hard to apply content
I recommend looking at the specification list for your exam board. Mostly what you need to memorise is the theory of programming. Let me give some examples:
. How to spot errors/the different types
. Logic gates/Boolean
. Different types of coding processors
. Different types of coding e.g psuedocode, flowcharts, etc.

Otherwise it is mostly applying your knowledge of writing code to questions. For ocr this is a written paper. You can write answers as psuedocode or flowchart, ocr exam board special code format is provided but is not necessary to use, you can use any coding language
Original post by kitty15
I recommend looking at the specification list for your exam board. Mostly what you need to memorise is the theory of programming. Let me give some examples:
. How to spot errors/the different types
. Logic gates/Boolean
. Different types of coding processors
. Different types of coding e.g psuedocode, flowcharts, etc.
Otherwise it is mostly applying your knowledge of writing code to questions. For ocr this is a written paper. You can write answers as psuedocode or flowchart, ocr exam board special code format is provided but is not necessary to use, you can use any coding language
I am thinking of doing chem bio psychology sociology economics business are all on my lists for a level future idk real estate trading business management accounting it management pharmacy optom got so much idk which to choose depends
Reply 87
Original post by kitty15
Hi!
Try Craig and Dave youtube or website, also you can try Mr Brown CS youtube videos. Also take a look at Isaac Computer Science!
THANKS
Hi im so guilty right now, i procrastinate every day- i make so many plans but the voice in my head tells me ill give up again and i do. I only have 6 weeks left.
For what subject do you do and exambaord and regret and don’t recommend
I also got all 7-9s, but ironically I didn’t do great relative to my year group, as generally an 8 was seen as ‘not good enough’ 🙄

anyways I also did Computer Science, Drama, Art and German if anyone is interested in those and needs help :smile:
Original post by pinkapoppy
I also got all 7-9s, but ironically I didn’t do great relative to my year group, as generally an 8 was seen as ‘not good enough’ 🙄
anyways I also did Computer Science, Drama, Art and German if anyone is interested in those and needs help :smile:
How was cs heard is so bad everyone getting bad grades in and is it easier then history or geography or even French
How was cs heard is so bad everyone getting bad grades in and is it easier then history or geography or even French

It might depend on the exam board, I did CIE but there’s a few problems with CS as a subject in general:
- Good CS teachers are hard to find because if you’re good at CS why not get a high paying job in the industry?
- The specification is relatively simple and not too content heavy, but the exam technique is really difficult to get down
- There’s not many resources out there to practice with either, only a few years worth of papers that you get through relatively quickly

If you really enjoy programming and understand CS pretty easy in general, I would recommend - I was predicted a 9 and got a 7, but my teacher didn’t do anything to help us so I think that’s more of a factor than anything. I’m still glad I took it and I’m doing CS at A Level with A* predicted now, and really enjoying it so if you like the subject, go for it
My examboard is ocr is it harder or easier then history geography or french
My examboard is ocr is it harder or easier then history geography or french

I don’t know about History Geography and French, I would say it just depends on what you’re good at:
History is an essay subject through and through. If you don’t enjoy applying your knowledge to essays in exams, it’s not for you
Geography is relatively easy, I would say you write an in-between amount compared to Computer Science
French is very different: if you’re good at languages it’s quite standard level and I liked the structure of the exam components.

When you’re making your decision I think you need to base it off of what subjects you like most, and what you’re good at, not how difficult the exams are because at the end of the day, your GCSEs will be easiest if you actually enjoy what you’re doing/learning
Original post by pinkapoppy
I don’t know about History Geography and French, I would say it just depends on what you’re good at:
History is an essay subject through and through. If you don’t enjoy applying your knowledge to essays in exams, it’s not for you
Geography is relatively easy, I would say you write an in-between amount compared to Computer Science
French is very different: if you’re good at languages it’s quite standard level and I liked the structure of the exam components.
When you’re making your decision I think you need to base it off of what subjects you like most, and what you’re good at, not how difficult the exams are because at the end of the day, your GCSEs will be easiest if you actually enjoy what you’re doing/learning
Geography is easier then history but history interests me most then all of these subjects even tho can be hard French forget it don’t wanna do it is useless if not doing it for a level or further study ygm history can lead me to essay a levels to and geography is boring but idk cs it looks quite hard so up to the 3 geography history and cs with photography doing triple science and business have to pick now 1 from cs history and geography I want 5-7 in the ones pick
Reply 96
Hi,
I haven’t revisited any content properly and am too unprepared to start pps im such a mess, i have to catch up with maths too any has advice?
Original post by kitty15
Hi everyone,
I did my GCSEs last year, and got all 7-9s in them. Before I wasn’t that perfect, so i totally get it if you are panicking about your GCSEs after receiving mocks results! Don’t worry, I’m here to help. Ask me anything about any of the subjects below, or just general study advice.
I’m currently doing A Levels in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths, with plans to do biomedicine/med/biochem.
. Subjects studied at GCSE and grades:
. Edexcel Higher Maths (8)
. AQA English Lit and Language (7 in Lang, 8 in Lit)
. AQA Biology (9)
. AQA Chemistry (9)
. AQA Physics (8)
. Edexcel Spanish (9)
. Edexcel Mandarin (9)
. OCR computer science J277 (7)
. Edexcel History (8)
Genuinely, as stupid as this seems, do you think I’ll get good grades? (8+’s in sciences and maths and 7-9 in English, 7+ in RS, 8 in DT and 6 in Art and Spanish (I’m hoping for 7 in Art but time may not be on my side!) : I’ve basically finished the biology specification, the chemistry specification and half way through physics, and I’m sharpening my skills for maths but I’ve also finished that content. I need to somehow fit in RS revision and englishes asw at some point because I’m worried I’ll end up neglecting them, but the goal is to have all of sciences complete 100 percent (all content for paper 1 and 2) by around the 25th march. So I can just do practise questions for the following next days of march, and start some English revision alongside RS (I also do Spanish which I’m neglecting LOL, and I do DT and Art, but those are more coursework based and I have a whole free week during GCSE period to revise for my DT theory, so I can just do that then). IM SOO SORRY for the very long paragraph! I guess I’m basically trying to say whether finishing content for sciences and maths this month and just sharpening my skills from there for the next month (so one whole month dedicated to practise questions and English and RS) would be good to get super good grades? I’ve done a practise paper for chemistry and biology this week just to check where I’m at and managed to get an 8 (about 5 percent off a 9 in both).
Reply 98
Original post by nxstiaxx
Genuinely, as stupid as this seems, do you think I’ll get good grades? (8+’s in sciences and maths and 7-9 in English, 7+ in RS, 8 in DT and 6 in Art and Spanish (I’m hoping for 7 in Art but time may not be on my side!) : I’ve basically finished the biology specification, the chemistry specification and half way through physics, and I’m sharpening my skills for maths but I’ve also finished that content. I need to somehow fit in RS revision and englishes asw at some point because I’m worried I’ll end up neglecting them, but the goal is to have all of sciences complete 100 percent (all content for paper 1 and 2) by around the 25th march. So I can just do practise questions for the following next days of march, and start some English revision alongside RS (I also do Spanish which I’m neglecting LOL, and I do DT and Art, but those are more coursework based and I have a whole free week during GCSE period to revise for my DT theory, so I can just do that then). IM SOO SORRY for the very long paragraph! I guess I’m basically trying to say whether finishing content for sciences and maths this month and just sharpening my skills from there for the next month (so one whole month dedicated to practise questions and English and RS) would be good to get super good grades? I’ve done a practise paper for chemistry and biology this week just to check where I’m at and managed to get an 8 (about 5 percent off a 9 in both).
hi, i'm currently in year 11 but like but like i just want to reassure u, ur litro at such a good stage rn and ur grades currently are amazing. just do like 30 minutes everyday of spanish. for spanish writing, make a plan!! like memorise a paragraph starter for the 90 words and 150 words with blanks so u can change the context if tht makes sense?? bc my teacher made us do this and most of my class have gone from 5/6s to like 8/9s in writing. also for spanish just aim for like 7/8 in speaking and writing and like 5/6s in listening and reading and you'll average out to like a 6/7 and possibly 8 if u try n get a 7 in reading or listening, whichever u find easier. use memrise, deepl. just utilise online resources. and honestly, if u cba just learn the tenses and on ur examboard specification there should be a list of every possible word they cn ask u, so like the nightbefore/a few weeks b4 just memorise tht so it sticks in ur short-term, not ideal but will work.

also change ur mindset. and don't panick, thts like the number 1 thing or youll get burnt out. just carry on w what ur doing. make sure u dont pass the 25th of march for finishing science content. and tell urself that ur gonna get 8/9s like convince urself bc if u dont believe u can then u won't, no matter how good u r. and there's plenty of time if ur worried about it. like some ppl manage to bring their grades from like 5/6s to 8/9s in a few weeks/a month. like if u want it badly enough, you can achieve it. anytime u feel like giving up just think u have like what 50 days and some ppl secure 7/8/9s in 3 weeks. like u have sm more time, ur at such a good stage. but maintain ur grades. but like goodluck. youre gonna get amazing grades, probs past ur expectations lmfao ur so prepared.

on 2nd thought, u need to ramp up english. litro just spend a day/2 just making all ur english and re notes. alternate between the 2. it'l be so beneficial. just use physicsandmathstutor, savemyexams, tiktok. flashcards for quotes and context and then blurt. like u can genuinely go from like a 5 to like 7/8 in english if u just memorise the quotes and read grade 9 essays. don't neglect english and rs tho cuz u want a well-rounded set of gcse scores not one that fluctuates lolll. like do little bits of them if ur struggling. aim to finish english and rs resources by like 2nd week of april halfterm if u ahvent walready started them. but just learn structures and ur solid. goodluckkkk#

also idk how good this 'advice' is, but ur in a much better position than most ppl from my school lmfao, including me, so don't even stress
Reply 99
Original post by LalalalallOL
Hi im so guilty right now, i procrastinate every day- i make so many plans but the voice in my head tells me ill give up again and i do. I only have 6 weeks left.
Hi, don’t feel guilty. Instead cherish the small gains you make every day. Try not to make too many plans- too many are unacheivable and will definitely cause procrastination. Make your goals using the acronym SMART (Specific, Measurable, Acheivable, Realistic, Timed). For example ‘This afternoon at 5pm I will do one hour of maths work in the textbook Chapter 1 Excersise 1A Questions 1-5.’

Here are some tips to keep you motivated/prevent procrastination:

. Use study with me YouTube videos.
. Use life at to create a virtual workspace with images/music/ambience.
. 5 minute rule: Try a task for at least 5 minutes. This is usually enough to get you into ‘the flow.’. Then add on another 5 min to timer, and so on. You will soon find you have done an hour of work without even knowing it using this technique.
. Pomodoro technique if you feel like it works for you (doesn’t for me): 25 min study, 10 min breaks

. Use apps like adapt to create a revision timetable personalised to you

Quick Reply

Latest