The Student Room Group

2nd Year Transfer

When should I start applying to a different University for a 2nd year transfer? From my research online majority of people are saying in March or April, even my academic tutor said you should aim to apply end of this month or beginning of March. However, I seeing on the University pages that I need to apply be the end of the UCAS deadline which was 31st of Jan. I understand that it's for equal consideration but now I am worried that I've missed my chance to apply elsewhere.
Original post by Aman_Wads
When should I start applying to a different University for a 2nd year transfer? From my research online majority of people are saying in March or April, even my academic tutor said you should aim to apply end of this month or beginning of March. However, I seeing on the University pages that I need to apply be the end of the UCAS deadline which was 31st of Jan. I understand that it's for equal consideration but now I am worried that I've missed my chance to apply elsewhere.

The equal considerations deadline is for entry into year 1, it doesn't really apply for year 2, so you can still apply! You have to check with each university you wish to apply to individually though, as not all universities accept transfers into year 2
Original post by Aman_Wads

Strictly speaking the Jan 31st deadline still applies, so applying prior is best. However, with transfers it's often a bit of a waiting game until you've been there long enough to get a reference and some achieved grades.

With all applications at this stage I would recommend calling first to check whether you'll still be considered. Especially so for transfers where they may have some policy against them or criteria with regards to what they're looking for. The Transfer FAQ covers the process.

Original post by Scotland Yard
The equal considerations deadline is for entry into year 1, it doesn't really apply for year 2, so you can still apply! You have to check with each university you wish to apply to individually though, as not all universities accept transfers into year 2

This is true, although the course still needs to be open on UCAS to submit the app, (which is why pre-deadline is better than hoping that the uni will secretly reopen it to let you send it through.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending