The Student Room Group

How do I go from 4s to 7/8s in GCSE Science?

I got at 4s and 5s in my IGCSE science (I do triple science) January Mocks and I really want to get at least 7s or ideally 8s. Right now I'm making flashcards with the specification and I know once I've finished those I'll move onto past papers. I've always struggled with STEM subjects and they are my lowest grades - I got 7s and 8s in my other subjects and I take 10 GCSEs. I got a 5 in my Maths mocks which I also struggle with. I really need these grades to go up!!! How many hours should I be doing after school and what do you think is the most effective way to move my grades up to 7s or 8s in just two months?
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by toothless-luxury
I got at 4s and 5s in my IGCSE science (I do triple science) January Mocks and I really want to get at least 7s or ideally 8s. Right now I'm making flashcards with the specification and I know once I've finished those I'll move onto past papers. I've always struggled with STEM subjects and they are my lowest grades - I got 7s and 8s in my other subjects and I take 10 GCSEs. I got a 5 in my Maths mocks which I also struggle with. I really need these grades to go up!!! How many hours should I be doing after school and what do you think is the most effective way to move my grades up to 7s or 8s in just two months?

Hey, I do triple science to and got high 9s in my mocks for sciences. This is what I would recommend based on my revision strategy.

First I would really recommend making flashcards on all topics but making them super detailed and literally memorising them so you know everything inside out. When I make mine i usually use my notes, the textbook and a cgp book so i have literally anything that could come up.

After you make and learn flashcards for a topic do topic specific practice questions (on physics and maths tutor or access tuition you can find loads). Add any questions you get wrong to your flashcards.

For physics for cgp book is so useful for understanding more difficult concepts (i struggle with that alot).

Then in the days/weeks before the GCSEs exams review all the flashcards again so you know you haven’t forgotten anything and do some full past papers to time. I hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Fiana2727
Hey, I do triple science to and got high 9s in my mocks for sciences. This is what I would recommend based on my revision strategy.

First I would really recommend making flashcards on all topics but making them super detailed and literally memorising them so you know everything inside out. When I make mine i usually use my notes, the textbook and a cgp book so i have literally anything that could come up.

After you make and learn flashcards for a topic do topic specific practice questions (on physics and maths tutor or access tuition you can find loads). Add any questions you get wrong to your flashcards.

For physics for cgp book is so useful for understanding more difficult concepts (i struggle with that alot).

Then in the days/weeks before the GCSEs exams review all the flashcards again so you know you haven’t forgotten anything and do some full past papers to time. I hope this helps :smile:
Thank you so so much! I often struggle with answering past paper questions even once I've just learned the content (especially in Chemistry, I just don't understand the questions). I've been trying a similar method to yours the past couple of weeks and hopefully this will help and I'll see results soon!

How long do you suggest I revise after school and do you think it is possible to move up to 7s/8s in the little time I have left?
Reply 3
Original post by toothless-luxury
Original post by Fiana2727

Thank you so so much! I often struggle with answering past paper questions even once I've just learned the content (especially in Chemistry, I just don't understand the questions). I've been trying a similar method to yours the past couple of weeks and hopefully this will help and I'll see results soon!

How long do you suggest I revise after school and do you think it is possible to move up to 7s/8s in the little time I have left?

I think if you are struggling with the past paper questions just try to keep doing them so you can better understand the mark schemes and what they are asking for.

In terms of revising after school now maybe make a list of all the topics for each science and make a timetable saying when you will go over each. Spend more time on the larger and more complex ones then the easier ones. I feel like the amount of time you spend will depend on you but try to carry on until you know and understand the whole topic. I think it is definitely possible to go up to 7s/8s as long as you put in the work. Also most people do tend to go up a few grades between mocks and gcses.

Quick Reply

Latest