The Student Room Group

SLC Funding - Single Parent

I began studying a degree in 2020 and was due to return after I took a gap year for two years and I would have returned in 2023 to finish my final year. HOWEVER..I fell Pregnant in February 2023 and was unable to attend because I had the baby and I am also a single parent. The first degree was a BA in Sustainable Tourism Management - Campus Learning and the Second Degree I have been given an Unconditional Offer for is a BSc Business and Marketing - Online. I was able to transfer my credits from the previous degree and this made me ‘possible’ an ELQ Student. Am I eligible for funding for tuition and maintenance? I would really like to continue my studies.
Reply 1
I was studying a BA (2020), took two years out for a work break and fell pregnant in the year I was going to go back (2023).

I am a single parent so returning to my previous course is now impossible with it being on campus, 2 hours away from home and with my child being too young for childcare (my decision, not comfortable with leaving him and I’m not eligible for government funding.)

I’ve been accepted for a new degree but with the same principle as the BA. But it’s classed a BSc. This is Online because it was the only other degree which was similar and had the flexibility of studying online.

The BA was Sustianable Tourism and the BSc is Business and Marketing.

Am I classed as an ELQ Student as I already hold some of the qualifications that the BSc has that I got with my BA? My student advisor said I MAY be affected but I wanted to make sure.

Thank you!
(edited 1 month ago)
Hi Ted. Just to confirm you did not gain the full qualification from the original course? Also, is it correct that you only have 1 year of previous study? Thanks, David
Reply 3
Original post by David SLC
Hi Ted. Just to confirm you did not gain the full qualification from the original course? Also, is it correct that you only have 1 year of previous study? Thanks, David
Hi, I did not gain the full qualification, no. And that was my only year of study for a BA.

Thank you.
Thanks Ted. If you did not gain the qualification and only had 1 year of previous study then you are eligible for full funding for the new course. This is because all students get an additional gift year to complete their studies so with that now used you have the duration of a course worth of funding remaining. Thanks - David
Reply 5
Original post by David SLC
Thanks Ted. If you did not gain the qualification and only had 1 year of previous study then you are eligible for full funding for the new course. This is because all students get an additional gift year to complete their studies so with that now used you have the duration of a course worth of funding remaining. Thanks - David

Thank you, David. I’ve been told I’m not eligible for any funding for tuition and maintenance.
Original post by Ted0402
Thank you, David. I’ve been told I’m not eligible for any funding for tuition and maintenance.

Hi there,

You would need to contact us so we can check this for you compared to what you have advised above. You can call us on 0300 100 0607.

Thanks,
Claire
(edited 3 weeks ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending