The Student Room Group

TSR Book Club Asks...What are your favourite books?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by study23!
Imma just list them:

Six of Crows Duology

Dance of Thieves duology

Scythe trilogy

GONE series (although I only ever read 4/6 books)

Powerless

Hunger games trilogy

Also when I was younger these were my absolute faves:

Percy jackson (holds a very special place in my heart)

School for good and evil series

Land of stories series

They may not be the most profound books of all time and I read a variety of genres that aren't YA fantasy/dystopia, but at the end of the day I like these best, they're fairly fast paced, good plots, interesting characters and all around just enjoyable

I was meant to start reading Percy Jackson after the show came out like I bought the whole book series but still haven’t gotten around to reading it yet.
Original post by sara572729
I was meant to start reading Percy Jackson after the show came out like I bought the whole book series but still haven’t gotten around to reading it yet.
ooh you definitely should, i just finished them :biggrin:
Original post by Scotland Yard

-His Dark Materials, by Philip Pullman. The whole trilogy. Amazing. I was thinking what other books I really really like and then I remembered this and this is my final answer. Arguably one of the most creative and original stories ever created. Aimed at teenagers but it deals with some very, very serious stuff. Ageless, honestly. Words fail to describe how much I adore this book. Also think the world would be a better place if everyone gave this a read and understood the message. So go give it a read.
i loved watching the tv series!!
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by sara572729
DONT HATE MY OPINION BUT Karen mcmanus’s books are a bit repetitive overtime imo.
no i see where your coming from but i love them regardless lmao
My all-time favourites:

The Hunger Games trilogy

The Hobbit

The Lord of the Rings

The Secret History

I think I'd be okay on a desert island for the rest of my life if I had just one of those books lol
My favourites are
- a secret history
- if we were villains
- the girl before
- believe me
- a little life
- perks of being a Wallflower

I’ve probably forgot about half of my collection but these are the ones sticking out to me
Original post by emm4nuella
i loved watching the tv series!!

The TV show is great. They made an excellent job in translating the first two books into TV but I think they really didn't do such a great job with the third and final book.
Love seeing some shout outs for Khaled Hosseini - read his books a long time ago but they've always stuck with me. Has anyone read anything by Mariana Enriquez? My sister bought me a copy of her short stories collection, The Dangers of Smoking in Bed, and I absolutely devoured it. Super super weird but really interesting. I'm actually really into short stories so I'm always looking for recs if anyone has any!

Last year I read two amazing books by Northern Irish women that I'm recommending to everyone. The Fire Starters by Jan Carson and Trespasses by Louise Kennedy.

Love this thread!
Hey guys how has ur days been im ngl childhood authors like Jacqueline Wilson who had a new book come out y day btw are still some of my favs.I read sing if u cant dance and it was one of my favs as well
the great gatsby is so underrated
Original post by emm4nuella
Welcome to the thread! In light of World Book Day (7th March 2024), TSR Book Club wants to know what your favourite books are and the reason behind loving these books!
We want to hear from you, so list away!!
Check out these other links:
Official TSR Book Club 2024 - The Student Room
TSR Book Quiz Master Thread - The Student Room
TSR BookChat - The Student Room
March Book of the Month Suggestions - TSR Book Club - The Student Room
Down With Love by Barbara Novak. And also Yellowface!
Original post by stmkcltrs
Down With Love by Barbara Novak. And also Yellowface!
oooh yellow face is actually on my list. I was hoping to read it eventually
Original post by Tatakae L
oooh yellow face is actually on my list. I was hoping to read it eventually
It's so good, get to it soon x
okay i'm late so it's not world book day anymore but i want to say mine anyway...

i love books by taylor jenkins reid, i've read evelyn hugo, carrie soto, daisy jones and malibu rising and loved them all! i also love this lie will kill you by chelsea pitcher, the inheritance games books, the agggtm trilogy and red, white and royal blue! would love some book recs though if anyone has any :smile:
Original post by emmab0488
okay i'm late so it's not world book day anymore but i want to say mine anyway...
i love books by taylor jenkins reid, i've read evelyn hugo, carrie soto, daisy jones and malibu rising and loved them all! i also love this lie will kill you by chelsea pitcher, the inheritance games books, the agggtm trilogy and red, white and royal blue! would love some book recs though if anyone has any :smile:
Interesting range, I read Daisy jones last month for the book club and it was good, AGGTM is fantastic, loved inheritance games 1 but never got around to the rest of the trilogy, but this lie will kill you is actually my most hated book 😂
Interesting range, I read Daisy jones last month for the book club and it was good, AGGTM is fantastic, loved inheritance games 1 but never got around to the rest of the trilogy, but this lie will kill you is actually my most hated book 😂
haha yes i like to switch it up with genres! defo would recommend the other two inheritance games books if you liked the first one.
just curious but why did you hate this lie will kill you? tbh i haven't read it for like three years now so maybe it's not actually as good as i remember it being when i first read it ahah
Its no longer a triology loll, its become 4 books and the 5th one is coming out soon. I need to buy the 5th when it comes out and add it to my shelf.
Original post by emmab0488
haha yes i like to switch it up with genres! defo would recommend the other two inheritance games books if you liked the first one.
just curious but why did you hate this lie will kill you? tbh i haven't read it for like three years now so maybe it's not actually as good as i remember it being when i first read it ahah
It's been a few years for me too but I think I hated all of the characters. The start was too flowery, I predicted who the killer was immediately (and with murder mysteries I don't actually try and figure it out lol), some of the relationships between characters felt like they were put there to be more interesting or it just wasn't developed enough, and none of the characters felt like real people to me (apart from maybe Gavin). Funnily as I write this I can remember big parts of the plot even though I normally forget plots after I've read books lol which proves how much it was etched into my mind. And I don't normally hate books, my friends who've read it enjoyed it, but I guess it wasn't for me. I'm not one of those toxic book haters though who will hate you for liking it tho lol.

I think I have the second inheritance games book, everyone is raving about it so I'll have to put it on my tbr
Original post by Tatakae L
Its no longer a triology loll, its become 4 books and the 5th one is coming out soon. I need to buy the 5th when it comes out and add it to my shelf.
The series is growing and it's scaring me. Doesn't she also have another new big series?
The series is growing and it's scaring me. Doesn't she also have another new big series?
Yeah the grandest gambit. It should be out soon i think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending