The Student Room Group

Is it possible?

Hi, my name is Alex and I would like to apply to Oxford to start in 2025. I have my doubts, however. The reason I have not applied for this year is due to some personal mitigating circumstances. I was diagnosed this year with OCD, something I have been struggling with since I was 12. I was too afraid to reach out for help, but after 6 years I grew tired, and realised I couldn’t go on like this anymore. The subtype I have is of a mental variety, where I suffer from repetitive phrases and intrusive thoughts that have plagued me for so long. On top of this, my grandmother died, and it has left me shattered, and feeling unable to leave for university this year as I feel like I need to sort myself out first. Anyway, I digress. I am working really hard at my A-Levels, and I am predicted top grades. Where my issue lies is to do with my GCSE’S. I won’t lie, they weren’t the best I hoped for. I achieved three grade 7’s, two 6’s, a 5-5 and a 4 in maths. Not what I had hoped for, but hear me out. In year 11, I didn’t have an easy time. I was bullied throughout secondary school which culminated in me attempting suicide in January 2022 (year 11). On top of this, I was diagnosed with Anorexia that same year and along with battling my undiagnosed OCD, I was really struggling. I feel like a failure for the grades that I got, and I know that if I had just gotten help sooner I could’ve done so much better. My question is, is there any chance of me being accepted into Oxford? I don’t pretend that my prospects are high, I failed at asking for help so why should I try and excuse my GCSE results. Every day I am reminded of how I did, and how my dream of Oxford is unrealistic. My OCD started in year 8 due to the bullying I experienced (for the whole of secondary), but before that, I considered myself to be smart. Completely different to how I feel now. The bullies made me ashamed of liking education so I stopped, and they shamed me for everything. I am sorry for this rant, but I just would like to receive an answer off of anyone who can possibly shed some insight. I feel awful about this all the time, I don’t wish to live in false hope for an unrealistic dream.
Hi. It won’t hurt to just shoot your shot. You should mention your extenuating circumstances in your personal statement or get your teacher to mention them in your reference. Oxford will take your circumstances into account.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/guide/ucas-application
Reply 2
Original post by daisiology
Hi. It won’t hurt to just shoot your shot. You should mention your extenuating circumstances in your personal statement or get your teacher to mention them in your reference. Oxford will take your circumstances into account.
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/guide/ucas-application

Hi, thank you so much for this information. I have also contacted Pembroke college (the one I’d like to go to hopefully) and I am awaiting a reply. I think considering all that I had to deal with, I didn’t do too badly in reality

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending