The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Business School

Hey guys! I'm looking for some information on Durham university college membership for postgraduate students. There's so much information out there and it is a little confusing. Also, I'm looking into their colleges and I've shortlisted a few- south college, Josephine Butler, and Hatfield, to name a few and I would appreciate it if anyone has anything to say about these colleges! maybe yours or your friend's experience. I'm open to college recommendations! I'm looking for something with activities and good facilities because I intend to participate and be active. Any input is highly appreciated! Thank you :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Hey guys! I'm looking for some information on Durham university college membership for postgraduate students. There's so much information out there and it is a little confusing. Also, I'm looking into their colleges and I've shortlisted a few- south college, Josephine Butler, and Hatfield, to name a few and I would appreciate it if anyone has anything to say about these colleges! maybe yours or your friend's experience. I'm open to college recommendations! I'm looking for something with activities and good facilities because I intend to participate and be active. Any input is highly appreciated! Thank you :smile:

Hiya

What specific information are you looking for? I can assist you with finding it if you can let me know some more details as to what information you're on the lookout for and for which colleges. As for college recommendations, I would suggest narrowing down your choices based on these considerations:
1. catered or self-catered
2. distance from the department (although this may not be very relevant if you don't have many classes)
3. type of room- ensuite or single with shared bathroom
4. gowned or non-gowned formals
5. size of the college- bailey ones tend to be smaller than the hill ones, and a smaller size means smaller facilities (gym, bar, library) as well

I've linked some blogs here that you may find helpful: Life in the MCR at Josephine Butler ; The living in college experience ; What's it like being President of Hatfield MCR? ; Life at Butler ; Life at South ; Help! How do I pick a college?

-Himieka
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Durham Students
Hiya

What specific information are you looking for? I can assist you with finding it if you can let me know some more details as to what information you're on the lookout for and for which colleges. As for college recommendations, I would suggest narrowing down your choices based on these considerations:
1. catered or self-catered
2. distance from the department (although this may not be very relevant if you don't have many classes)
3. type of room- ensuite or single with shared bathroom
4. gowned or non-gowned formals
5. size of the college- bailey ones tend to be smaller than the hill ones, and a smaller size means smaller facilities (gym, bar, library) as well

I've linked some blogs here that you may find helpful: Life in the MCR at Josephine Butler ; The living in college experience ; What's it like being President of Hatfield MCR? ; Life at Butler ; Life at South ; Help! How do I pick a college?

-Himieka

Hi! Thanks for your revert. I submitted an application with 3 preferences- Ustinov, John Snow and Josephine Butler. I just wanted to know about the life there and if possible some more images/videos of the same. Thanks! :smile:
Hi! Thanks for your revert. I submitted an application with 3 preferences- Ustinov, John Snow and Josephine Butler. I just wanted to know about the life there and if possible some more images/videos of the same. Thanks! :smile:

Hiya

Those are all great choices. I'd refer you again to these blogs written by students at Ustinov, John Snow and Butler, sharing their experiences of living in those colleges. Here is a room tour of a postgrad student in John Snow: https://www.tiktok.com/@thedurhamstudent/video/7225641213259549979

You can also check each college's Instagram and possibly Tiktok pages for images and videos, I've linked them here for you:
https://www.instagram.com/john_snow_college/?hl=en
https://www.instagram.com/ustinovcollege/?hl=en
https://www.instagram.com/butlerjcr/?hl=en

Let me know if you need more info :smile:

-Himieka
Reply 4
Hi!! Thank you so much for your revert. I've changed my preferences a little bit- Josephine butler and Ustinov are still on the list, only south college is swapped with john snow.
Reply 5
Hi!! Thank you so much for your revert. I've changed my preferences a little bit- Josephine butler and Ustinov are still on the list, only south college is swapped with john snow.

I am a Josephine Butler student and I still get PTSD due to the long walk to the City Centre but other than that it's a solid choice.
Reply 6
Hey so sorry to hear that! How long was it if you don't mind sharing?
Reply 7
Hey so sorry to hear that! How long was it if you don't mind sharing?

I'm not Jobo, (I'm actually Mildert) and from Mildert it's about 15-20 minutes. For Jobo it'd be about 5-10 minutes longer so around 25 minutes (I'm guessing this based around Stevenson which is next to Jobo)

Quite an ironic selection of colleges. JoBo and South yeah could be put together but Hatfield in that mix ahaha a bit suprising!
As a postgrad maybe look intoo Ustinov.

Quick Reply

Latest