The Student Room Group

How to find your lost national insurance numer

Hi! I have recently lost my national insurance number, and I tried to use the HMRC gateway account to find it, however, they have told me that my identity doesn't exist. Also, if you want to call the HMRC, there's a certain amount of charge. Can anybody give me any advice of how else I can get my national insurance number?
Original post by Shinei17
Hi! I have recently lost my national insurance number, and I tried to use the HMRC gateway account to find it, however, they have told me that my identity doesn't exist. Also, if you want to call the HMRC, there's a certain amount of charge. Can anybody give me any advice of how else I can get my national insurance number?

Why doesn't your identity exist? Where did you get your NI number before? Do you have any old payslips? Try contacting your previous employer.
Reply 2
Original post by Shinei17

Calls to numbers beginning with 01, 02, 03 will come out of your inclusive minutes if you have a mobile phone. So while technically it costs money to call HMRC, if you have inclusive minutes (and I appreciate that not everyone has) then it probably isn't going to cost you -- at least not in terms of call charges. (It will cost you time from your life that you won't get back.)

But as @ageshallnot suggests, check old payslips (or a P45 or P60) if you have them.

There's also a form (CA5403) that you can fill in and send by post: see https://www.gov.uk/lost-national-insurance-number
Reply 3
Thank you guys. Fortunately, I was able to make a call with them and they said they would either send me an NI letter or a 'more info required' form.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending