The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Scroll to see replies

sophisticated

The OP was not asking if English was an easy A level or not. The point is, Exeter ask for an A in English because it is the best grade and only the best can achieve it. The course is popular and heavily oversubscribed

Not only the best can achieve it, was my point - which is exactly why universities which aren't even top 10 feel the need to require an A. The course is popular because quite a lot of people are this good at English, because it's not that difficult.

And before anyone else asks - yes, I do study English, and initially planned to take it at university.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Leopold Bloom
That makes no sense.

English is probably in the top 3 most competitive subjects at the top universities. It's not a course that's renowned for leniency with entrance requirements.

English comes after... Medicine, Law, Architecture, Economics to name a few. It is hardly in the top 3.
PurpleMonkeyDishwasher
I'm judging you to be a troll based on most of the other things I've seen you post.

What exactly constitutes a 'troll'? Given your judgement on English A level, I doubt your opinion will keep me up.
Reply 23
BJack
English is a horribly oversubscribed course because it's, well, largely useless (practically speaking) to society and so the number of students that can take it is indirectly limited. Of course, literature etc. are invaluable, but you don't need an English degree to write poetry.

it isn't oversubscribed because it's useless, it's oversubscribed because it's popular. english literature degrees don't aim to teach you how to write poetry, so you've missed the point a little bit.

at a university like exeter, I think if you miss your offer you're likely not to be offered a place anyway. if you want to put it as your firm, you're just going to have to work hard to get your grades. are you doing anything like the AEA?
serrellen
What exactly constitutes a 'troll'? Given your judgement on English A level, I doubt your opinion will keep me up.

Keep you up where? :smile:

Someone who only posts for the purpose of causing conflict, whether they try to disguise it or not, constitutes as a troll.
Reply 25
Leopold Bloom
That makes no sense.

Sorry, I should have clarified. It's oversubscribed because lots of people want to take it but the number of places is restricted due to the limited use of an English degree in modern society.
dramaminedreams
English comes after... Medicine, Law, Architecture, Economics to name a few. It is hardly in the top 3.

Medicine definitely. I wouldn't exactly put the other 3 as definites. I didn't think Architecture was as competitive to be honest, though am probably wrong.

I think people underestimate how difficult it is to get into a top university for English. The application ratios (I know, they're not Gospel) I seem to remember being comparable with some of those of Law.
PurpleMonkeyDishwasher
Keep you up where? :smile:

Someone who only posts for the purpose of causing conflict, whether they try to disguise it or not, constitutes as a troll.

Lol, keep me up at night. Not really sure where that sentence went!

I'm not posting for the purpose of causing conflict, but while on the topic of A level English - well, it's just my opinion as to why nearly every uni course for English asks for an A.
serrellen
Not only the best can achieve it, was my point - which is exactly why universities which aren't even top 10 feel the need to require an A. The course is popular because quite a lot of people are this good at English, because it's not that difficult.

And before anyone else asks - yes, I do study English, and initially planned to take it at university.

Well in my experience only those that are very good can achieve an A, or those that are very good at bluffing. But if they were bluffing and hadn't bothered to study, then why would they want to continue the subject for a degree? I admit, I'm not very good, so I didn't get an A.
If anyone can get an A, then why do universities feel the need to ask for an A for the best courses? Why not just let anyone in? Thats what would happen in your silly world. Universities base their offers to entrants on grades for a very very good reason; because grades and exams separate the good from the very good and the good from the bad.
And I wish you would stop generalising...English is a popular subject because it is enjoyable, unique and has lots of career prospects. Not because its easy. It's not easy. If you were good enough at it to read it at University level then you'd know this :p:

Now crawl back under your rock troll.
sophisticated
It's not easy. If you were good enough at it to read it at University level then you'd know this :p:

I refuse to have a conversation justifying my suitability to read English at degree level online with a stranger. Suffice to say, I abandoned it rather than vice versa once realising it provided little or no grounding for the real world.
Reply 30
Umm, you just need to focus on getting 3 As and not worry about not getting them. If you don't, then you're very unlikely to be offered a place seeing as English is mega popular but yet again, I know someone who was predicted AAA but got AAB but was still accepted into Oxford as the interviewers liked her so much. But I guess you won't have an interview, so your PS will be quite important. Anyway, I'm sure you could go to another uni (: x
BJack
Sorry, I should have clarified. It's oversubscribed because lots of people want to take it but the number of places is restricted due to the limited use of an English degree in modern society.

If that's true then surely Medicine would be the easiest course to get on.
serrellen
I refuse to have a conversation justifying my suitability to read English at degree level online with a stranger. Suffice to say, I abandoned it rather than vice versa once realising it provided little or no grounding for the real world.

If you say so trolly :p:
I'm bored of you now :yep:
Reply 33
Leopold Bloom
If that's true then surely Medicine would be the easiest course to get on.

We only need so many new doctors: there are 7000 new doctors graduating each year, and only 3000 retiring. Degrees are, to some extent at least, social engineering in practice.
sophisticated
If you say so trolly :p:
I'm bored of you now :yep:

I was bored of your university before I'd even visited. It's my fifth choice though so I really doubt I'll have to go. (Full of people like you).
serrellen
I was bored of your university before I'd even visited. It's my fifth choice though so I really doubt I'll have to go. (Full of people like you).

Ouch...best you can do? Really?
Exeter is a beautiful and highly ranked University which is heavily oversubscribed.
So what if you don't like it...there's plenty of other (and better) people who do.
Now I'm not responding to you on this thread anymore. You've completely diverted the topic from the OP.
OhNO!
it isn't oversubscribed because it's useless, it's oversubscribed because it's popular. english literature degrees don't aim to teach you how to write poetry, so you've missed the point a little bit.

at a university like exeter, I think if you miss your offer you're likely not to be offered a place anyway. if you want to put it as your firm, you're just going to have to work hard to get your grades. are you doing anything like the AEA?

I am doing the AEA.
sophisticated
there's plenty of other (and better) people who do.

Yes, that sounds like an informed statement...
Reply 38
Fran Katzenjammer
I am doing the AEA.

if you do well in the AEA, and slip to a B in another subject (i.e not english lit), you could sort of use that as bargaining material. like, 'yeah, I got a B in geography but I did get a merit in the english AEA'. it could help, and will work in your favour. obviously, that's reliant on you doing well.

still, don't give up hope on meeting your offer.

Latest

Trending

Trending