The Student Room Group

Cancer Research UK Graduate Scheme

Hi everyone,

Is anyone else applying for the cancer research UK graduate scheme?

I have just submitted my application and couldn't find a thread on here for it already so thought I would start one.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes, I have. Which scheme did you go for?
Just a head's up, but depending on which department you end up working in, you may become aware that a lot of the money raised isn't always going where it should...I remember hearing an accountant saying he was absolutely shocked when he saw the records of a major Cancer charity and he would never donate to them again...I can't speak for Cancer Research UK, as I've never had anything to do with them, but I have had experiences with other major charities and the amount of corruption is just obscene...suffice to say it's worth researching where you're going to work if it's with a charitable organization as a lot of them aren't what they seem...some, are, however, and more power to them. It's just a case of doing proper research.
Reply 3
I'm well aware of that, but cheers for posting that anyway :smile: Ideally I'd like to work for a much smaller organisation but there's the whole problem of lack of experience = no job. I figure the Cancer Research grad scheme's a lot more ethical than going for a corporate one...
Reply 4
I'm applying for the corporate and scientific services one. You?

I had an invite to do the tests the other day but haven't done them yet. I've looked at the practice ones though and the numerical and verbal weren't too bad but the abstract was really hard for me.
I would have thought the smaller organizations would be interested in enthusiasm and ability as well as experience...sure the pay wotn be as good, but there may be opportunities to work your way up.
Reply 6
Has anyone applied for the graduate scheme for this year (2013)?
Hey I applied for the communications stream when it first opened- have you heard anything back yet?
Reply 8
I've applied to the scientific services stream and got an email today about online tests - says cant use a calculator for the numerical test... Unusual?!
Reply 9
Hey I applied to the fundraising and marketing and then also put communications as a secondary preference. I also got an email today about the psychometric testing. Have you done these before? I haven't... just practiced and the maths test was awful for me considering I haven't done it since I was 16....Does anybody know what you have to get to pass!?

Sounds really stupid but I just want to have a vague idea!
Thanks
Reply 10
The numerical reasoning is quite straightforward. It's a non-calculator test and most of the time you can look at the graphs/trends/tables and easily find the answer. I think you need to get atleast 50% (aim much higher) but whether you progress onto the next stage completely depends on how others have scored. There are few sample questions given on the website and the real test is very similar.

Good Luck!
Reply 11
Original post by singh12
The numerical reasoning is quite straightforward. It's a non-calculator test and most of the time you can look at the graphs/trends/tables and easily find the answer. I think you need to get atleast 50% (aim much higher) but whether you progress onto the next stage completely depends on how others have scored. There are few sample questions given on the website and the real test is very similar.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the advice. If you have a go at the sample questions do you have to complete the test immediately or could you come back to it?
Reply 12
You can come back but there are only two example questions (very easy).
Reply 13
Original post by singh12
You can come back but there are only two example questions (very easy).

Was there a verbal reasoning test as well as numerical? I could only access the numerical (but the email made it seem like there are two?)
What stream has everyone applied to? ...Hoping they haven't got to Communications applicants yet because I'm yet to hear anything..
Reply 15
Original post by singh12

Good Luck!

I didn't find them that easy?! Just time-wise, missed about 4 at the end... I'm not very quick at mental arithmetic :frown:
Reply 16
Original post by han07
I didn't find them that easy?! Just time-wise, missed about 4 at the end... I'm not very quick at mental arithmetic :frown:

I'm sorry to hear that. I believe everyone gets different questions. I managed to finish most of the questions except for the last two that i had to blindly guess. I hope we both make it to the next stage.
Reply 17
Don't worry. I found the numeracy one pretty tricky having not done any kind of maths since GCSE. However, I think it is largely just a case of practice. It is a specific way of making your brain adapt, and as such I believe this is why they give you a while before the deadline. Just practice practice practice and hopefully we will get through it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by SD27
Was there a verbal reasoning test as well as numerical? I could only access the numerical (but the email made it seem like there are two?)

Hi, I've just had the same problem. There is no numbers/emails on the email to contact anyone either. Found out if this is right yet?
On the email it just says numerical and verbal, but the practice tests include inductive too :s Has anyone taken them yet and if so, does it include inductive? I hope not because I am not good at it...! I've also heard they get you to take the tests again at interview but I'm not sure whether this is true or why you would need to take them twice.

Quick Reply

Latest