The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 1
ms1910
I've applied to do History at Edinburgh, ticked all the boxes IMO (A in History and Maths, B in Chemistry, Physics, Drama and Theatre Studies and Critical Thinking at AS; 1 A*A*, 3 A*s, 3 As and 1 BB at GCSE; great personal statement and reference as admitted by my Head of Sixth), but I just read on the Edinburgh Uni website that a C or above in a language other than English is required. In my defence they're not overly obvious about the fact, placing it at the bottom of a page where I don't think many would pay much attention to.

I've just emailed an admissions tutor asking if this will be a problem, but I think that's my application down the drain! Not only is it goodbye firm, it's a waste of a choice as well.

This is absolute rubbish! Warwick do the same bloody thing, they're just a lot more obvious that you need a mfl to study History there than Edinburgh are.

I'm doing History at university, not a god damn ****ing language!

:mad:

Wait for a reply; but you can change your choice if you sent the app less than 14days ago
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
go with your other choices then..
Reply 3
Nah, I sent the application ages ago - mid-November
Reply 4
It's easy saying "go with your other choices" if you have good other choices. Oxford? Rejected. York? I don't know, I may as well be dead for all they care/know, it seems I'm the only one who's heard **** all from them by now. I have offers from Cardiff and Leicester, but I'm not massively excited about either of them.
ms1910

Sorry. You should perhaps have looked into this before submitting your application, especially if you knew other institutions did it. Undoubtedly not having a C pass in GCSE MFLs will affect your application adversely. In Edinburgh's defence, I wholeheartedly support the College of Humanities requirement that you have that C. Unless you were unusual enough to have attended a school not offering MFL, you chose at some point to drop all MFL, which academically looks a bit suspect.
Reply 6
I hadn't noticed this !
Luckily ur school forced us into a language for standard grade, or I wouldn't have taken one ( I SUCK at them)
You could email and ask them how important it is? :s-smilie:
Reply 7
I got an unconditional for History and didn't do a language. Calm down, and wait. If your application is as good as you say it is, they might overlook you not having a language.
Reply 8
You might not have got in anyway. Your GCSEs aren't terrific. Cheer up.
ms1910
I've applied to do History at Edinburgh, ticked all the boxes IMO (A in History and Maths, B in Chemistry, Physics, Drama and Theatre Studies and Critical Thinking at AS; 1 A*A*, 3 A*s, 3 As and 1 BB at GCSE; great personal statement and reference as admitted by my Head of Sixth), but I just read on the Edinburgh Uni website that a C or above in a language other than English is required. In my defence they're not overly obvious about the fact, placing it at the bottom of a page where I don't think many would pay much attention to.

I've just emailed an admissions tutor asking if this will be a problem, but I think that's my application down the drain! Not only is it goodbye firm, it's a waste of a choice as well.

This is absolute rubbish! Warwick do the same bloody thing, they're just a lot more obvious that you need a mfl to study History there than Edinburgh are.

You might have not have got in anyway, so until you know stop worrying!

And can I ask, whats: 1 A*A*, 3 A*s, 3 As
At AS level you do 4 AS's, possibly 5 and there is no A*!

Edit: And if you keep getting rejected from places then your application couldn't have been brilliant.
Reply 10
serrellen
You might not have got in anyway. Your GCSEs aren't terrific. Cheer up.

5A*'s, 3A's and 2B's aren't terrific??
dani2511
5A*'s, 3A's and 2B's aren't terrific??

"1 A*A*, 3 A*s, 3 As and 1 BB at GCSE" was what the OP said. Admittedly I didn't re-read to try and work out what it actually meant but 5A* 3A and 2B is quite good... my bad. It wasn't clearly set out.
Reply 12
sharvie
I got an unconditional for History and didn't do a language. Calm down, and wait. If your application is as good as you say it is, they might overlook you not having a language.

you didnt do a language at standard grade? :eek: why not?

possibly there is no language at standard grade clause which is why you got an offer
Reply 13
Oh i'm so glad my school made us take a mfl GCSE (I took 2 :smile: )

But yeah, good luck with your app, they might overlook it? hopefully?
Reply 14
I don't know how stringent they really are about this OP. I'm a current student and didn't do a language at GCSE. If the rest of your application is good then perhaps they will overlook it.
Obscured
I don't know how stringent they really are about this OP. I'm a current student and didn't do a language at GCSE. If the rest of your application is good then perhaps they will overlook it.

In the College of Humanities? If so what year of study are you in?
Reply 16
Nearly headlessian: In the college of Humanities (Philosophy), second year.
I did have slightly exceptional circumstances for my GCSEs though.

Latest

Trending

Trending