The Student Room Group

Medicine 42

Hello guys,I read another guy's personal statement on another thread and I thought that by posting mine on this forum,it might help out some of the guys out there who are applying through UCAS for medicine.Before that,I must say that this statement is very far from perfect, although I did try my best and I would welcome any criticism or praise you guys might have.

For me,the decision to hang a stethoscope around my neck is based on facts,reality and experience rather than just passion for the profession.My childhood admiration for doctors grew into a burning curiosity that prodded me to question doctors who treated me on their work and life.They answered almost similarly.The hours are tedious,the job demands time from family and during the formative years,the pay will not buy a Mercedes. This impressed upon me the reality of the profession which did not put me off medicine but rather, stood as a challenge that beckoned me to accept.To gain insight,I started reading The Free Medical Journals Site,MedBioWorld Medical Journals and the online British Medical Journals which introduced me the global trend of the medicine world. I was hooked.
Matured by the reality of medicine,I sought to deepen my understanding of the profession. Recently,I underwent a 5-day clinical attachment program in the Subang Jaya Medical Centre and observed endoscopies, colonoscopies ,biopsies, angioplasties, cardiograms, pharmaceutical procedures and learnt how the laboratory and diagnostic equipment function. Although I will never claim that I know all about being a doctor,the experience made me realize what to expect of the profession and what the profession expects of me.Happily,I was awarded a full government medical scholarship this year.
I observed that apart from a genuine care for patients, interpersonal communication skills,ability to remain calm and willingness to work under pressure are prerequisites for doctors,attributes that saw me through 5 successful years of secondary school.The post of Secretary for the 5th Petaling Scout Troop,Interact Club and Handball Club trained me to handle paperwork meticulously (another skill important to doctors!).Being Secretary also enhanced my ability to communicate and pay attention to the minute details that others often miss.Also,last June,I led a team of 5 students to become champions in the Annual Young Entrepreneurs Challenge in Singapore and win a cash prize of RM 3150.We were to present and market a business idea to Managing Directors and CEOs who judged the event.This challenged my ability to perform under near-impossible deadlines,delegate tasks to my team-mates according to their strengths and respond to criticism constructively.This culminated my other participations which included organizing scout campfires,installations and fund-raising activities,all of which had an average attendance of 300.This events made me a better organized person with the stamina to work longer hours.
Having observed the mechanisms of a hospital, I realize how the services of hospitals can be improved through the merging of information technology and conventional medical procedures in the new field of telemedicine which can lighten workload and shorten response time for medical staff.Thus,my long-term goal is to establish my very own telemedical hospital, something non-existent in Malaysia
After a hard day,I relax by playing table-soccer and reading novels (Harry Potter!) .I also have a gift for writing and public speaking.Recently this year,I was 1 of 8 finalists in the National Public Speaking Competition sponsored by The Star and I am pursuing the title of Competent Toastmaster under Toastmasters International.
I cannot deny that I will make mistakes,but I will always pick myself up and keep on learning,forever keeping in sight my true purpose in life and never forgetting that I shall,in a way, owe my career to a stranger who read my personal statement and became convinced of my commitment.I thank you in anticipation of a favourable reply.
Wow! I reckon thats a pretty good personal statement. I like how you are honest and truthful throughout saying bits like "I cannot deny that I will make mistakes".

Have you applied for medicine 2004? If so, where have you applied to and what are your predicted grades? I am sure with that PS you will get in!!
Reply 2
SickoPsycho6
Hello guys,I read another guy's personal statement on another thread and I thought that by posting mine on this forum,it might help out some of the guys out there who are applying through UCAS for medicine.Before that,I must say that this statement is very far from perfect, although I did try my best and I would welcome any criticism or praise you guys might have.

For me,the decision to hang a stethoscope around my neck is based on facts,reality and experience rather than just passion for the profession.My childhood admiration for doctors grew into a burning curiosity that prodded me to question doctors who treated me on their work and life.They answered almost similarly.The hours are tedious,the job demands time from family and during the formative years,the pay will not buy a Mercedes. This impressed upon me the reality of the profession which did not put me off medicine but rather, stood as a challenge that beckoned me to accept.To gain insight,I started reading The Free Medical Journals Site,MedBioWorld Medical Journals and the online British Medical Journals which introduced me the global trend of the medicine world. I was hooked.
Matured by the reality of medicine,I sought to deepen my understanding of the profession. Recently,I underwent a 5-day clinical attachment program in the Subang Jaya Medical Centre and observed endoscopies, colonoscopies ,biopsies, angioplasties, cardiograms, pharmaceutical procedures and learnt how the laboratory and diagnostic equipment function. Although I will never claim that I know all about being a doctor,the experience made me realize what to expect of the profession and what the profession expects of me.Happily,I was awarded a full government medical scholarship this year.
I observed that apart from a genuine care for patients, interpersonal communication skills,ability to remain calm and willingness to work under pressure are prerequisites for doctors,attributes that saw me through 5 successful years of secondary school.The post of Secretary for the 5th Petaling Scout Troop,Interact Club and Handball Club trained me to handle paperwork meticulously (another skill important to doctors!).Being Secretary also enhanced my ability to communicate and pay attention to the minute details that others often miss.Also,last June,I led a team of 5 students to become champions in the Annual Young Entrepreneurs Challenge in Singapore and win a cash prize of RM 3150.We were to present and market a business idea to Managing Directors and CEOs who judged the event.This challenged my ability to perform under near-impossible deadlines,delegate tasks to my team-mates according to their strengths and respond to criticism constructively.This culminated my other participations which included organizing scout campfires,installations and fund-raising activities,all of which had an average attendance of 300.This events made me a better organized person with the stamina to work longer hours.
Having observed the mechanisms of a hospital, I realize how the services of hospitals can be improved through the merging of information technology and conventional medical procedures in the new field of telemedicine which can lighten workload and shorten response time for medical staff.Thus,my long-term goal is to establish my very own telemedical hospital, something non-existent in Malaysia
After a hard day,I relax by playing table-soccer and reading novels (Harry Potter!) .I also have a gift for writing and public speaking.Recently this year,I was 1 of 8 finalists in the National Public Speaking Competition sponsored by The Star and I am pursuing the title of Competent Toastmaster under Toastmasters International.
I cannot deny that I will make mistakes,but I will always pick myself up and keep on learning,forever keeping in sight my true purpose in life and never forgetting that I shall,in a way, owe my career to a stranger who read my personal statement and became convinced of my commitment.I thank you in anticipation of a favourable reply.

mate, just a few things.
Firslty, I can't believe your opening, it's very cheesy. Admin tutors aren't really impressed by childhood fantasies or talking about pay so early on. I can't believe you mentioned Harry Potter. Finally, I can't believe the ending when you try to talk to the tutor directly, I don't think they like that either.

The middle's quite good though.
It's good how you've explained how you've gained valuable skills which will help you as a medical student and a practising clinician. Perhaps you could write about what you hope to gain from medical school (developing these skills more?) and what you could contribute to university life (any team sports you play for example). "My long-term goal is to establish my very own telemedical hospital" - i do admire your high aspirations but i'm not sure how the selection panel would view this. Some parts seem a little... cheesey: "the decision to hang a stethoscope around my neck", "pay will not buy a Mercedes" and maybe the last paragraph could be toned down somewhat. I feel i must say that your enthusiasm and motivation for the vocation is never in doubt. Good luck with your application.
I've always wanted to read a personal statement, so thanks. I have nothing to compare it with, but I thought it was well written and wasn't deadly serious (which I liked to see).
Quite risky sendig that one off :-/

Besides its a bit late for 2004 entry unles your planning a year in advance for 2005!

Overall, good honesty and a lot of extra carricuar acivities, but talking directly to the admisions offier is too far, let alone the sarcasm throughout the PS, as it seemed to me
Reply 6
Unregistered
Quite risky sendig that one off :-/

Besides its a bit late for 2004 entry unles your planning a year in advance for 2005!

Overall, good honesty and a lot of extra carricuar acivities, but talking directly to the admisions offier is too far, let alone the sarcasm throughout the PS, as it seemed to me

its already been sent in for this years entry...
Reply 7
Well it's certainly different ! :smile: Where did you apply to and have you heard anything back?
Reply 8
Finally,after all this years,I finally realized the true meaning of the word "cheesy"!And ohmegosh,I truly am a cheesy person!!Is that bad?Will I lose out on dates if I am cheesy?

Ah well,here in my country Malaysia,we actually do have a word for "cheesy" and its called "poser", as in 'Man,this guy is such a poser' or 'That's such a poser statement'.

Anyway thanks for your sincere,no-holds-barred comments on my PS.Point taken.Those of you who offered me constructive criticism,thanks for your honesty,Malaysia needs more people like you.Those of you who praised me so wonderfully,thank you,I need more people like you.

Thank you!

ps:I applied to Man U,Liverpool U,Newcastle U and Cambridge and I will be going for an interview on Monday,3rd of Nov for Cambridge and taking the BMAT test on Wednesday.I have not heard from the other EPL-team named Unis I applied to.
Reply 9
its a little negative to start off with! and im not sure what admissions staff would think to your closing paragraph...
Reply 10
SickoPsycho6

how long did it take you to write that thread?

Latest