The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

jamessimth5
Cheers, I have them when I get back and i really cba revising for pretend exams with Christmas and holidays to enjoy.

Meh, I didn't revise for my mocks one bit. I figured, it'd show me in the best way possible what I needed to focus my revision on the most.
Reply 21
Hippysnake
For medicine, take your pick from the following subjects-
(In order of how important/relevant they are for medicine.)
Chemistry
Biology
Maths
Physics
Psychology
Clements-
Meh, I didn't revise for my mocks one bit. I figured, it'd show me in the best way possible what I needed to focus my revision on the most.

thats a very good excuse.
Reply 23
kat2pult
Try maths.
Please don't.

Latin, then Spanish, in order of recommendation.
Reply 25
Clements-
I got 9 Cs in my mocks and I came out with 6A*, 2As and a B. I really wouldn't worry about them at all. No one works to their full potential for mocks but not only that but teachers generally mark them very harshly so that you work even harder for the real thing. At my old school, the general rule was that you would go up two grades at least in the real thing :smile: Good luck.

I know exactly where you are coming from as that happened to me, screwed up a mock and was like I will not let you win

congrats, those grades are brilliant :smile:
Latin is brilliant and AS is not actually any harder than GCSE.
However A2 Latin is rather challenging and might take up quite a bit of time.
Reply 27
Renal
Please don't.

Why not?
Renal
Please don't.

whats maths like?
Maths is an awesome subject...

Why aren't you taking it :hmmm:
Reply 30
BRB
Ignore everyone who says maths will make you a better candidate.
:ditto:

Also ignore all the Maths, Criminology and English students who think they know something about medical admissions.
Renal

Also ignore all the Maths, Criminology and English students who think they know something about medical admissions.

Surely you've used logarithms and stuff at medical school? :p:
Renal

Your reason for crossing maths off the list is two dots?

Is there some sort of funny message hidden inbetween those two dots?

Maths is good. Good for medicine. Good for the world. You should know. You don't wanna be sticking 1500ml of morphine up someones ass now would ya? Admittedly, differentiation will never play a part in medicine, but Trig and calculus sure will.
Integration will be quite useful as well, I imagine.
Reply 34
Hippysnake
Good for medicine.
How the :santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2: would you know?

And no I wouldn't stick a litre and a half of morphine up someone's arse - mostly because it comes in mg... :rolleyes:
Renal
How the :santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2: would you know?

And no I wouldn't stick a litre and a half of morphine up someone's arse - mostly because it comes in mg... :rolleyes:

It comes in suspension does it not? Like ketchup.
And I know my fair share of doctors, of course, I am not one, so you have me beaten there. My medicine ambition has died out, but I still know that Maths is a respected A-Level and is well recognised for courses such as medicine even though you'll never need to apply 99% of it.
Reply 36
Renal

How about the stats and the problem solving skills gained from maths.

Plus it's considered a science, so helps out with those uni's who want three sciences (*cough* Oxbridge (well some of the colleges) *cough*)
Reply 37
Stick with at least one conventional art subject though - it shows that you're a rounded person and gives you good analytic/argumentative skills. People seem to think arts are not related to medicine at all - but i like to think of them as the situational/social side of medicine where you have to analyse patient history/social background to look for clues in their diagnosis.

Latin would also be useful for learning/understanding many of the medical words, which become the source of infuriation for many a med student.
If you think you're capable of doing 5 *proper* AS Levels by all means do so. Looking back I think I probably could have done five if I wasn't such a lazyarse. I actually strongly recommended someone didn't do 5 AS a while back though, maybe I'm just feeling generous today...

Anyway I'd go with:

Bio, Chem, French and/or Latin (because I have a bias towards it and against Spanish, ha) and/or another science (Maths, Psychology?)
Reply 39
Hippysnake
Your reason for crossing maths off the list is two dots?

Is there some sort of funny message hidden inbetween those two dots?

Maths is good. Good for medicine. Good for the world. You should know. You don't wanna be sticking 1500ml of morphine up someones ass now would ya? Admittedly, differentiation will never play a part in medicine, but Trig and calculus sure will.

I don't think I have ever used trig or calculus!

I know it was just an example, but having a maths A-level isnt going to prevent you giving the wrong dose!

I would just do the a-levels you enjoy and think you will do well in. If thats maths, then so be it!

Latest

Trending

Trending