The Student Room Group

Missing exam due to 'Illness'

Ok i have an exam module coming up soon and really don't want to take it.
i am thinking about being 'ill', but i am led to believe i will need a doctor's note for proof and that my UMS will be based on the 2 modules i have taken?

can anybody clarify who has been in this situation:smile:

also, this will probably mean the school want to re-enter me in the summer to take this missed module, will AQA be suspicious or anything because i've missed the same module twice?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Looking at your offers, you don't seem like the sort of person who needs to "be ill" for a module.
bex2306
Looking at your offers, you don't seem like the sort of person who needs to "be ill" for a module.

what if i said it was general studies?:p:
Reply 3
I was actually ill for my Jan exams and I just didn't turn up got 0 UMS marks and had to do it in the summer instead.
Reply 4
alexsheppard11
what if i said it was general studies?:p:

General studies doesn't count - I'll let you off.

Although, isn't it better to go and do nothing than go through all the effort of a fake slightly suspicious illness.
Yeah, if you're ill, you retake.
I guess maybe there's more leniancy if it's the Summer before you're off to uni and your results are needed; but I have no idea.

The college wanted a doctor's note, and a picture of my face to prove I had chickenpox, and the invigilator person swore blind when you were spotty, you're not contagious, and I could have come in :frown:

Also, you get a free retake :biggrin:

Jess
(Just get no marks, and then it doesn't need to be declared on UCAS! :smile: )
Reply 6
Why wouldn't you take it?
Reply 7
My friend had glandular fever in his summer A2s and there was no chance to retake but to retake the whole year...
Reply 8
For Jan exams you have to resit it in the summer even if you are ill with a doctors note. The only difference is the summer exams. For my GCSEs I was ill in the final exams and I got a grade... not entirely sure how they worked it out, but I got less than I would have liked in all my subjects that I couldn't sit :frown:
rscully
Why wouldn't you take it?

because my offers don't include general studies, and the school entered me automagically, and to withdraw they said i would have to pay the fees
Reply 10
For A levels there's no chance of getting a predicted grade for missing an exam because you can always retake.
Reply 11
Just go and do the exam. It's about an hour long.
NO ONE likes or wants to do GS.

stop kicking up a fuss.

just do the exam.

if you dont care (like most people), just use write something funny to keep yourself amused.
just get on with it and do it for gods sake, stop making a fuss.
SouthernFreerider
NO ONE likes or wants to do GS.

stop kicking up a fuss.

just do the exam.

if you dont care (like most people), just use write something funny to keep yourself amused.

that makes it more tempting to do the exam:p:
alexsheppard11
that makes it more tempting to do the exam:p:

its what most of us do in general studies :smile:
Reply 16
Being ill will mean you will resit it. School policy on such matters differs but in general they can charge you for the resit if they wish. So it would be the same if you were to drop out?
Why not have a word with your head of year and let them know how you feel.
To be ill for an exam you need a note from your GP, or its a non attendance which equals a fail.
A general cold or something won't be sufficiant.
I would go to the exam and get it out the way. Good luck.
Reply 17
alexsheppard11
because my offers don't include general studies, and the school entered me automagically, and to withdraw they said i would have to pay the fees

Just go and take it, it's only 90 minutes out of your day. Less hassle than faking a doctors note.
rscully
Just go and take it, it's only 90 minutes out of your day. Less hassle than faking a doctors note.

but im thinking is it better not to take it at all, than to take it and not caring and getting a rubbish grade?
Reply 19
I was ill in GCSE when i had a french exam and i handed a medical note. That unit exam was not counted towards my final grade. They averaged it out on all the other units i did. I am not sure about A levels tbh.

Latest